PDA

View Full Version : They are a home run or nothing team.

john2499
05-16-2004, 12:03 AM
The Sox are 3rd in the A.L. in HR....
10th in runs
9th in 2B
11th in H
7th in 3b
9th in Avg.
They are the same one dimensional team they have been the last 3 seasons. They are an easier team to pitch against (Because most of them are HR or nothing hitters.) than the other elite teams in the A.L. There is not enough balance in their lineup. Valentine, Thomas, Lee, Konerko, Crede, are all the same types of players, slow, base clogging, grounding into double plays, power hitters. Thomas being only better because of his patience at the plate. Of course when they are hitting their HRs all is forgiven, but Ozzie can't turn these guys into what they're not, and that is a good all around hitting club. Joe Crede in 118 ABs has a whopping (2), yes (2) 2Bs. Konerko has a (4) !!! A staggering (6) 2Bs combined for the corner infielders. The last couple of years most fans wanted more pitching, not me. I wanted more hitting.

Since 2003 only the scrubs have had more quality starts from their pitchers. Last year the Sox team E.R.A. was 4th in the A.L. This year the are 3rd. You can't win if the offense isn't scoring more runs than the pitching is giving up, and if the Sox offense stays the way it has been the last few years, then the pitching better go from 3rd to 1st, and hope for the best.

dillio
05-16-2004, 04:35 AM
same here i have always been wanting them to pick up a hitter that can go the other way and that is not worried about getting his long balls those are the type of players we need if we want to be succesful

samram
05-16-2004, 08:35 AM
Yeah, but they have only been a homerun or nothing team for four years. I mean, how fast do you expect them to make a change?

Railsplitter
05-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Good to see I'm not the only one who is seeing this problem. Building your team around lumbering right handers is a charachteristic of the RED Sox, who play in the only right hander friendly park I can think of, and even that hasn't helped them any. Start trading some of the lead feet and get some speed an relief pitching.