PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Reinsdorf Thread

RKMeibalane
05-15-2004, 11:01 PM
Discuss the man who owns the team.

CubKilla
05-15-2004, 11:07 PM
What's there to discuss? He's cheap and he's responsible for the current, sorry state of the Chicago White Sox in Chicago. But Chicago's always been a Cubs town.

john2499
05-15-2004, 11:09 PM
He bought the Sox around the same time the tribune bought the scrubs. In 23 years has as many playoff victories as the scrubs did in one playoff series (3)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 'nuff said!!!!!!

ChiSox7
05-15-2004, 11:09 PM
He put 62+ mil or whatever into his payroll. More than he wanted. Not his fault the offense sucks. I guess it's the players, Ozzie's and KW for putting the team together. The twins spend WAY less on their team and they consistently kick our ass. What are you going to do?

john2499
05-15-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
He put 62+ mil or whatever into his payroll. More than he wanted. Not his fault the offense sucks. I guess it's the players, Ozzie's and KW for putting the team together. The twins spend WAY less on their team and they consistently kick our ass. What are you going to do?

Yeah, you're right it's not his fault, just a 23 year string of bad luck.
It's his team. He is the one, who hired the man, who signed the players. It's a trickle down "un"effect.

Lip Man 1
05-16-2004, 02:19 AM
Cub and John you are both right on the money with your comments.

Since Uncle Jerry has said his sons don't want the team when he's gone hopefully for the first time in 100 years the Sox will get an owner like Steinbrenner or Moreno. Chicago fans deserve a winner.

Lip

TornLabrum
05-16-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Cub and John you are both right on the money with your comments.

Since Uncle Jerry has said his sons don't want the team when he's gone hopefully for the first time in 100 years the Sox will get an owner like Steinbrenner or Moreno. Chicago fans deserve a winner.

Lip

Lip, what do you think the odds are that the Sox get another owner just like Reinsdorf (or the McCaskeys or Wirtz....)?

white sox bill
05-16-2004, 08:33 AM
Isn't this the same guy who said he's galdly trade all 6 Bulls rings in for ONE World Series ring? More lip service propaganda

voodoochile
05-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Lip, what do you think the odds are that the Sox get another owner just like Reinsdorf (or the McCaskeys or Wirtz....)?

Seems to be a pre-requisite to buy a Chicago Sports Franchise.

:reinsy
"Are you a cheap bastard who will raise prices, sit on salaries and pocket big paychecks? Sold..."

PaleHoseGeorge
05-16-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

I'm not Lip, but I'll answer anyway. :smile:

Knowing that JR doesn't plan to make his kid chairman, and that his sweetheart TV/radio deal ends next season, I'm guessing we'll have a new owner sometime before opening day 2007. JR simply won't play the game unless everything is stacked in his favor. Ah, dreams...

As for the new Sox owner, based on over 100 years of misadventures inside the franchise owner's box, here is what I predict:

1. The new owner will make a sincere effort to win his first 3-7 years, until his fellow owners conspire against him and turn the Sox into an empty shell and perrennial second division team.

2. The new owner dies embittered, but leaves the franchise to his son who makes some slick moves to rebuild the franchise, but then dies of a sudden heart attack.

3. The new owner's widow takes over but she is too incompetent to manage the franchise in any manner not resembling a roadside fruit stand. Losing continues unabated.

4. The new owner's grandson finally comes of age, rebuilds the franchise into a consistent pennant contender, but then gets sabotaged by his sister who sells controlling interest to an outsider.

5. The outsider consolidates his position, then trades for a ballplayer like Gene Freese. The collapse soon follows.

6. The outsider sells to a pair of guys so stupid, they think there is more money to be made moving the ballclub to a market one-tenth as big, and remove the Sox from regular TV -- perhaps in favor of PPV internet showings only. Fan base disappears.

7. Outsider comes back, dresses the team in shorts and conducts nightly promotions, most of them based on consuming more alcohol at the ballpark.

8. Outsider tries to move ballclub to Denver, but finally relents selling the Sox to an owner just like Jerry Reinsdorf. Sox Fans get blamed for team's failures the next 25 years.

9. Our children's children's children's children are right here typing something very similar to this 100 years from now.

Ah, the glory of being a Sox Fan....

:)

owensmouth
05-16-2004, 09:24 AM
Who would buy an overpriced, underproductive franchise like the White Sox? The team is clearly not the primary team in the city, and there's nowhere else to move it.

Unfortunately, we are still gripped by the desire to see home runs, something that still remains from the era of Veeck.Bill was cnvinced that if he just got some power hitters, the fans would flock to Comiskey Park.

Well, we've got the power hitters, and have lots of home runs, but the Sox have lost the fans. And we keep getting the same old circus, but no championship.

I don't think JR is cheap. But he's allowing people to spend his money in a less efficient way than the Twins.

Instead of going outside the organization to get an experienced, quality General Manager, who understood how to produce a winner, he chose between two staffers. In three years KW has about doubled the expenses but has failed to improve the team one iota.

voodoochile
05-16-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Who would buy an overpriced, underproductive franchise like the White Sox? The team is clearly not the primary team in the city, and there's nowhere else to move it.

You are joking right? Who would want to buy a franchise in the second largest market in the country that is begging for a good marketing campaign, a solid consistent effort to win and is profitable with a stadium that currently has 1/3 empty seats over the course of a season?

There is no where to go but up...

RedPinStripes
05-16-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox7

Maybe if he would spend 10 mill more, we would have to see Rowand in CF and could have added tot the front of the rotation instead of playing with the 5th starter? Lee and Konerko i blame on KW. They are both over paid . One is too slow, one is too dumb.

But in a long story short how i feel about the chairman for the last 23 years................

**** YOU JERRY!

RedPinStripes
05-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by white sox bill
Isn't this the same guy who said he's galdly trade all 6 Bulls rings in for ONE World Series ring? More lip service propaganda

Well what has he done to persue it?

RedPinStripes
05-16-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You are joking right? Who would want to buy a franchise in the second largest market in the country that is begging for a good marketing campaign, a solid consistent effort to win and is profitable with a stadium that currently has 1/3 empty seats over the course of a season?

Jerry seems to be living ok off it.

I'm broke!

MikeW
05-16-2004, 10:32 PM
Having been a Sox fan for over 40 years I have to say that when the DeBartolo sale fell through in 1981 and Reinsdorf and Einhorn came in I was happy for at least a couple of months. They signed Fisk, Luzinski and Leflore and it looked like they were serious about pouring money into the franchise. But, what happens? They dump Harry Caray,alienate Bill Veeck,take the Sox off free TV,hire Ken Harrelson as GM who then tries to move Fisk to the outfield,fire Tony LaRussa and then had the gall to hold a gun to the state of Illinois head and said build us a new ballpark or we are moving to Florida. They get their new ballpark,but don't realize that a Camden Yards type park is the way to go. Instead they have a 'ball mall' which is criticized for not having any character at all. They give Fisk a day in his honor and then release him and make him look stupid by not letting him into the playoff series,the strike that Reinsdorf wanted that destroyed a possible post season appearence in 1994,the Albert Belle signing,then the 'infamous white flag' trade. Need I go on? I wish they would sell and some local interests buys the team.

HomeFish
05-16-2004, 10:36 PM
I swear I witnessed an incident near Comiskey Park a few hours before a game one day where two guys got into a minor traffic collision. Upon realizing that both were Sox fans, they stopped yelling at each other about whose fault it was and started casually talking about how Reinsdorf has ruined the team.

The man has truely brought peace.

batmanZoSo
05-16-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

That's totally true. The crowd that was at the game today...that could be every day.

jabrch
05-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
That's totally true. The crowd that was at the game today...that could be every day.

And that was STILL only 26,000. You have room for 10,000 MORE fans, at an average of $20.00 per ticket and $10.00 in concessions. That's a lot of potential revenue left on the table.

voodoochile
05-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by MikeW
Having been a Sox fan for over 40 years I have to say that when the DeBartolo sale fell through in 1981 and Reinsdorf and Einhorn came in I was happy for at least a couple of months. They signed Fisk, Luzinski and Leflore and it looked like they were serious about pouring money into the franchise. But, what happens? They dump Harry Caray,alienate Bill Veeck,take the Sox off free TV,hire Ken Harrelson as GM who then tries to move Fisk to the outfield,fire Tony LaRussa and then had the gall to hold a gun to the state of Illinois head and said build us a new ballpark or we are moving to Florida. They get their new ballpark,but don't realize that a Camden Yards type park is the way to go. Instead they have a 'ball mall' which is criticized for not having any character at all. They give Fisk a day in his honor and then release him and make him look stupid by not letting him into the playoff series,the strike that Reinsdorf wanted that destroyed a possible post season appearence in 1994,the Albert Belle signing,then the 'infamous white flag' trade. Need I go on? I wish they would sell and some local interests buys the team.

Great Minds and all that... (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2518)

Lip Man 1
05-16-2004, 10:48 PM
Mike:

Ron LeFlore was signed by Bill Veeck (along with Jim Essian) who was using money given to him by DeBartolo, not Reinsdorf.

In the first three years of ownership, Uncle Jerry signed or acquired two talented players every season...Fisk and Luzinski in 81, Kemp and Paciorek in 82, Bannister and Cruz in 83.

Then something happened and everything stopped. My best guess is that Uncle Jerry got deeply involved in the collusion tactics of the mid 80's and decided that it was better for baseball to destroy the players union then to build on the success he was establishing both on and off the field with the Sox.

Obviously Uncle Jerry was a good 'company man.' Some good that's doing him now eh? Other owners looked out for themselves and their teams but Jerry was born to a higher calling...LOL What a dolt!

Lip

Hangar18
05-17-2004, 08:50 AM
Jerry Reinsdorf had a "Window" to get to the World Series
in 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994,
1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and This Year. Out of all of these "Windows", it was only in offseason of 1993 that they went out and ADDRESSED A PROBLEM in their lineup. The 1994 season of course, SOX had all problems addressed and were on their way.......but had season cut short because of JR's union stance. All the other years? They were Content to NOT make themselves significantly better .........
To have the 2nd BEST RECORD FOR the DECADE (1990's)
and only have 1 Playoff appearance .......is BRUTAL

Dan H
05-17-2004, 10:05 AM
The man has demonstrated that he can build a team to a certain point and then taken it no further. He has done some good things with the franchise as the success of the early '90's indicates. But he made two drastic mistakes: The strike and the White Flag Trade. The team has not recovered since. These were two serious miscalculations.

CubKilla
05-17-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Well what has he done to persue it?

Well, the White Flag Trade was supposed to be the cornerstone trade for the future of this Organization. JR hired a GM that is/was (depending on whoyou talk to) in way over his head who's made a few terrible trades and who's signed a few ballplayers to ridiculous contracts. JR has blamed the fans for the recent ills currently ailing the White Sox. And JR still, to this day, refuses to sign tested, quality starting pitching to long term contracts after being burned in ONE deal.

I'm surprised this organizational and marketing strategy hasn't worked.

Hangar18
05-18-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Well, the White Flag Trade was supposed to be the cornerstone trade for the future of this Organization.................................. And JR still, to this day, refuses to sign tested, quality starting pitching to long term contracts after being burned in ONE deal.

I'm surprised this organizational and marketing strategy hasn't worked.

That one deal you refer to ........ still has me Burning with Anger
to this day. Roger Clemens or Jamie Navarro. Who do you take a chance with, and give the contract to?

GoSox2K3
05-22-2004, 01:49 PM
For all you prospective baseball team owners out there, here's my 23 year plan for success:

Buy a team that has fallen behind it's crosstown competition in market share, but has great potential to surpass the competition and become the dominant team in the market and do the following:

- Alienate the former owner who had little money, but was beloved by generations of fans. Drive him into the arms of your competition and have him become a fixture at their ballpark for the rest of his life.

- Get rid of a popular announcer the same year that the crosstown competition's announcer retires thus giving your competition an excellent chance to hire him and make him and the 7th inning stretch a fixture at their ballpark that's known nationwide.

- Put most of the team's games on Pay-TV with a charge of $21/month for one channel while the other team in town keeps all games on free TV. This will give the next generation of potential fans no other choice but to follow the other team.(I forgot this piece of my ingenius plan!)

- Threaten to move the team unless a new stadium is built. When you get state funding, make the new ballpark as generic as possible and place it's upper deck above 2 rows of skyboxes. This will not only keep fans away from your park, but will cement the reputation of the competition's silly little stadium as a Chicago landmark.

- Trade a future superstar and attendance draw to the crosstown competition for an over-the-hill slugger with a bad attitude and only about 1 good season left in him.

- Lead the other owners in hardline stance that leads to a cancellation of the World Series in the same year that many believe your team will make it to the Fall Classic for the first time in over a generation thus driving many lifelong fans away forever.

- Give up on the season in July when the team is only 3.5 games out of first by trading a bunch of starters for a bunch of minor leagures (of whom only one ever has much success in the majors). Thus, further decimating the remaining fanbase.

- Now that you have decimated your fan base and have helped turn your competition into a monsterous success, complain that the city always belonged to the other team and that our team is really a small market team. Blame the fans for lack of team support and tell them that it's their fault that the team can't compete.

- Continue an endless cycle of low payrolls and low attendance.

As you can see, I'll go down in history as one of the best owners ever in professional sports!

Hangar18
05-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Palehose George & GoSox2K3 ................
those were EXCELLENT Posts .............Post of the year material ..............

GoSox2K3
05-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Oh, I forgot a key part of JR's plan for success. I'll edit the above post....

vegyrex
05-23-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
That one deal you refer to ........ still has me Burning with Anger
to this day. Roger Clemens or Jamie Navarro. Who do you take a chance with, and give the contract to?

That still makes me :angry: to this day. Clemens said he would have considered the Sox. Seeing how some players don't want to play for the Sox. Here is the greatest pitcher of our generation, who wanted to play here, instead is passed over for a third rate pitcher.