PDA

View Full Version : The Catching Situation

RKMeibalane
05-15-2004, 10:24 PM
"Right now, we are doing well with that situation," said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen of the split playing time between Olivo and his 15-year veteran. "I also get Sandy at-bats and get Miguel a few days off.

"Miguel is our future, but he's also learning. He's at the point where he should be there every day, and he will be. This year I don't know because we have a good thing going with Sandy behind the plate."

--Ozzie Guillen on the Sox catching situation

This guy is completely clueless on how to manage.

Jjav829
05-15-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
"Right now, we are doing well with that situation," said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen of the split playing time between Olivo and his 15-year veteran. "I also get Sandy at-bats and get Miguel a few days off.

"Miguel is our future, but he's also learning. He's at the point where he should be there every day, and he will be. This year I don't know because we have a good thing going with Sandy behind the plate."

--Ozzie Guillen on the Sox catching situation

This guy is completely clueless on how to manage.

What? Explain. He's clueless because he doesn't want to kill Olivo by having him catch every single game? He's clueless because he realizes that Sandy is right now a better handler of a pitching staff than Olivo? What are you talking about?

RKMeibalane
05-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
What? Explain. He's clueless because he doesn't want to kill Olivo by having him catch every single game? He's clueless because he realizes that Sandy is right now a better handler of a pitching staff than Olivo? What are you talking about?

I'm saying that Guillen is making a mistake in not giving Olivo the majority of the playing time. Obviously, Miguel can't be out there every game. His knees can't handle the pounding, and Buehrle likes to use Alomar as his personal catcher. However, since Olivo is supposed to be the Sox starting catcher, he needs to be playing more than he is, especially since Sandy can't throw anybody out.

THE_HOOTER
05-15-2004, 10:46 PM
I agree.

Olivo should play everyday except a day game followingi a night.