PDA

View Full Version : Are Franks days of hitting .300 over?


Paid Santiago
05-15-2004, 08:45 PM
I seriously had dreams of frank hitting .310 with 38 homers this year and 100 rbis. What has happened? why did frank choose to go back to his old stance since 2001, when in 2000 i believe the andres galaraga type stance gave him much success.


is this new frank thomas home run or nothing the only one we will see?


i'd much rather see frank hit .325 with just 30 homers , 30 doubles , 100 walks, 60 strike outs, and 100 rbi than frank hitting .262 42 homers , 100 walks , 100 strikeouts and 100 rbi

SoxxoS
05-15-2004, 09:04 PM
The days of Frank hitting .300 are absolutely over. Ever since the tricep injury, his BA has declined, and he has become a walk or a homer type hitter.

But he gets on base at a great clip, so he is the least of the worries.

Maggs isn't hitting like he should.

CLee, Konerko, Crede, Valentin and Rowand are automatic outs.

There lies the problem. And the fact that Ozzie can't find a place for a guy hitting .370 in our stacked lineup .

RKMeibalane
05-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Frank won't hit .300 again, but he's still an elite power hitter, and as Soxxos pointed out, he gets on base a lot.

Thomas isn't the problem on this team. There are several other guys who are doing much less than Frank is. Those are the people who deserve blame for this disaster.

:walnuts :caballo :manos

"Why are you looking at us?"

Kilroy
05-16-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Frank won't hit .300 again, but he's still an elite power hitter, and as Soxxos pointed out, he gets on base a lot.

Thomas isn't the problem on this team. There are several other guys who are doing much less than Frank is. Those are the people who deserve blame for this disaster.

:walnuts :caballo :manos

"Why are you looking at us?"

There's no reason Thomas can't hit .300 again. The problem is exactly what you've pointed out. Carlos and PK are hitting like ****, and that effects Frank's at-bats. Altho, Frank's last AB looked bad. He made no adjustment for that outside pitch, and that's why it went by him three straight times.

samram
05-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Frank won't hit .300 again, but he is still dangerous. The problem is he has become almost a dead fastball or bad change-up hitter. I remember in his younger days if a pitcher tried to throw a curve ball over the outer half, he would hit it 400 feet into the right-center field bleachers. I don't know why he can't do it anymore, but 90% of his hits are to left-center and left it seems, and 98% of his homeruns are to center and left. There aren't alot of .300 hitters who don't use the whole field.

wilburwood
05-16-2004, 09:13 AM
not sure if he will hit 300 but guarantee his numbers would get better if some of the people around him started hitting

iwannago
05-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by wilburwood
not sure if he will hit 300 but guarantee his numbers would get better if some of the people around him started hitting

I agree.

RKMeibalane
05-16-2004, 06:00 PM
Frank had a bad game today, but I think he'll be okay in the long run. I'm looking forward to seeing him get more time at first base. His numbers should improve once that happens.

SoxBoy14
05-16-2004, 06:09 PM
I see Frank hitting over .300 in the long run. He has series where he doesn't get a hit, then next game he goes 3-4 with 2 RBI's. The guys who aren't looking good right now are Crede, Lee, and Rowand.

johnny_mostil
05-16-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Frank had a bad game today, but I think he'll be okay in the long run. I'm looking forward to seeing him get more time at first base. His numbers should improve once that happens.

He got jobbed in one at bat. The pitcher threw zero strikes to him in three pitches and the ump called all three. This immediately after giving Minky one and Lew Ford one extra strike apiece by not pulling the trigger on good pitches. Some umps just love calling strikes on Frank on pitches 3" inside.

SoxxoS
05-16-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
I see Frank hitting over .300 in the long run. He has series where he doesn't get a hit, then next game he goes 3-4 with 2 RBI's. The guys who aren't looking good right now are Crede, Lee, and Rowand.

He hasn't hit .300 in four years...I believe.

batmanZoSo
05-16-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
There's no reason Thomas can't hit .300 again. The problem is exactly what you've pointed out. Carlos and PK are hitting like ****, and that effects Frank's at-bats. Altho, Frank's last AB looked bad. He made no adjustment for that outside pitch, and that's why it went by him three straight times.

If Thomas gets some protection he can hit .300 this year. The reason he hit .267 last year was because A) he started out bad, and B) in the second half he openly declared he was gonna try to hit home runs. This year he's not doing that, he's taking the walks. With 130 free passes, you don't need too many hits to get .300. He needs to rediscover the blooper to right field. That doesn't require much bat speed.

compy75
05-16-2004, 08:21 PM
Don't you guys realize that Frank isn't intentionally trying to hit for low average? Reality is that Frank does not make as solid contact with the ball as he used to. This is due to both his injuries and his aging bat speed. By saying "I am going to hit for power last year" basically was Frank's way of saying I can't hit 300-30-110 anymore. He recognizes his flaws and has tried to make adjustments that still give him value to a team so he can collect a paycheck. Frank's strength was never quick hands, so at an increasing age, average hand speed becomes slow hand speed. Hence at this point his best way to help the team is to guess and try to mash.
His major weakness now is that he can't shake his old mentality. He takes too many hittable pitches in RBI situations. Today he could have any one of those 3 pitches for a sac fly yet stared at all of them.
In the end, Frank at his age and skill level can't say "Ok, I'll hit for average and some power." He JUST CAN'T DO IT. The sooner you guys find that out, the more you will appreciate his ability to adapt to be effective.

StepsInSC
05-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by johnny_mostil
He got jobbed in one at bat. The pitcher threw zero strikes to him in three pitches and the ump called all three. This immediately after giving Minky one and Lew Ford one extra strike apiece by not pulling the trigger on good pitches. Some umps just love calling strikes on Frank on pitches 3" inside.

Those looked pretty good, or at least a lot closer than 3" off the plate. Esp the one with two strikes he should of been swinging the bat. With a man on third and 1 out you gotta swing at anything close.

But he's on pace for 160+ walks, so keep that up and I don't care much about .300.

SoxFan76
05-16-2004, 09:26 PM
He gets on base, he scores runs, he drives in runs. Batting average is overrated. Keep it up Big Hurt.

Hangar18
05-17-2004, 10:44 AM
Frank hitting 300 again is Finished. He wont get 6 mill
next year, but at least he'll retire a SOX. Now ......... we need
to drop him in the lineup to 5th or even 6th. He may do better in the NL, weaker league with TERRIBLE pitching. He could resurrect his career like a certain clemens guy .....

mdep524
05-17-2004, 01:02 PM
Frank's days of hitting .300 were over the day he decided to completely ignore hitting to rightfield. That's what made him the best hitter in the game back in the '90s.

If he'd forget about his "I need 500 home runs to mak the Hall of Fame" approach and start using the whole field again, I bet he could hit .300, and his homers wouldn't drop off by too much.

compy75
05-17-2004, 01:29 PM
As much as I would like him to use the field. He CAN'T DO IT ANYMORE. He's made these adjustments not b/c he really wants to but b/c it's the only way he can be effective now. His skills have deteriated, plain and simple. His hands are no longer quick enough to look away and still have the hand speed to turn on an inside fastball.