PDA

View Full Version : Armchair GM

infohawk
05-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Hey guys, just for fun I was thinking about potential deals the Sox could make to improve the team. We always entertain moves for well-known or accomplished players, but how about moves for players that are "under the radar" in the sense that they are either on the rise or just don't surface in the media in stories about players that can help a team during a stretch run?

In this particular context, I am very intrigued with Carl Crawford of the D-Rays. I doubt he would be available because he appears to be a talented lead-off hitter with speed who only makes $320,000 a year in this being his third year. However, he might be worth at least inquiring about. Time for speculation - if the Sox could acquire someone like Crawford it would help them tremendously. They would have a lead-off hitter who is left-handed, hits for average and can steal a lot of bags. So far Harris is hitting for average, but can you imagine Crawford and Harris batting first and second in the line-up? Crawford would of course play center field, and with his speed vastly improve our defense up the middle. More fun speculation. With Crawford in center, the Sox could have enough flexibility if they wanted to trade Carlos Lee for pitching help and call up Reed. Reed, Crawford, Harris and Valentin would give the Sox four left-handed hitters and vastly improve the balance in the line-up. Reed and Crawford also appear to be consistent line-drive contact hitters who would fit well into the Ozzieball program.

The D-Rays probably wouldn't want to take on any large salaries for Crawford, but may be interested in a minor league package. The only reason they might consider a trade is because he is getting close to his arbitration years and the D-Rays probably realize they won't contend for at LEAST a couple more years in that division. They may be better off stocking up on prospects, and Crawford might be worth two or three minor league players because left-handed, speedy lead-off hitters who hit for average are hard to come by. All that said, I don't know what they feel they need or if the Sox even have the minor leaguers they would be interested in. The D-Rays have a pretty solid outfield and appear o.k. on the infield corners. That could leave pitching.

I'll leave it at that. What do you think about this suggested move (I fully recognize the inherent difficulties), and what lesser known players would you be interested in the Sox acquiring?

SoxxoS
05-15-2004, 02:52 PM
We are stacked in the outfield already, and Willie Harris has done nothing to show he can't be a leadoff hitter. He improves every game.

A. Cavatica
05-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Carl Crawford has a career .310 OBP. That doesn't persuade me that he's going to be a good leadoff hitter. Of course, he's got more upside than Willie Harris.

CubKilla
05-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
We are stacked in the outfield already, and Willie Harris has done nothing to show he can't be a leadoff hitter. He improves every game.

Too bad Harris forgot that he's supposed to be stealing bases when he gets on base.

SoxxoS
05-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Too bad Harris forgot that he's supposed to be stealing bases when he gets on base.

He will be fine...he proved he can steal bases in the minors at a great rate. He is probably a little gunshy after getting picked off twice last week.

Plus, Ozzie doesn't want to run out of an inning with our 3-4-5-6 hitting so well.

SEALgep
05-15-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
He will be fine...he proved he can steal bases in the minors at a great rate. He is probably a little gunshy after getting picked off twice last week.

Plus, Ozzie doesn't want to run out of an inning with our 3-4-5-6 hitting so well. I agree that he will be fine and steal a lot of bags. It's not his speed in question, he just needs to get a better read on pitchers and get his timing down.

Whitesox029
05-16-2004, 12:26 AM
This is vastly irrelevant, but I think Maxis' next Simulation-genre game should be entitled SimBaseballTeam. Those familiar with SimCity know that you can either choose to create your own new city, or you can choose one of many disaster-scenarios to work your way out of (Nuclear meltdown occurs in New York, Volcano erupts in Honolulu, etc.). Disaster-scenarios in SimBaseballTeam would include 2004 Chicago White Sox plus a host of many other Sox teams.