PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Ozzieball?

Mr. Chicken
05-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Where's the baserunning Ozzie had been promoting? Sandy can't lay down a bunt...now those are fundamentals. Sox need to be more aggressive; we're looking too much like the teams of the Manuel era; relying too much on the long ball.

RKMeibalane
05-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Chicken
Where's the baserunning Ozzie had been promoting? Sandy can't lay down a bunt...now those are fundamentals. Sox need to be more aggressive; we're looking too much like the teams of the Manuel era; relying too much on the long ball.

The problem is that the guys on the team right now aren't the type of players who can play "smallball." Carlos Lee, Paul Konerko, and Joe Crede swing for the fences every time up. Maggs is on base often enough, but he doesn't run as well as he used to. Frank is willing to take walks, but he also doesn't run as well as he did a few years ago. The Sox are stuck with a bunch of players who just aren't capable of doing the little things to manufacture runs.

SoxxoS
05-15-2004, 01:50 PM
And Sandy freakin Alomar can't get a bunt down.

What a disgusting joke that was.

samram
05-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
The problem is that the guys on the team right now aren't the type of players who can play "smallball." Carlos Lee, Paul Konerko, and Joe Crede swing for the fences every time up. Maggs is on base often enough, but he doesn't run as well as he used to. Frank is willing to take walks, but he also doesn't run as well as he did a few years ago. The Sox are stuck with a bunch of players who just aren't capable of doing the little things to manufacture runs.

Exactly right. The other problem with this team, with its historically poor mental approach, has seemed to become a team that thinks that one run is really great output. It seems as if they don't hit a homerun, it is impossible to score more than one run an inning, and usually they can't even get more than one hit in an inning. I think Ozzie would like to hit and run more, but he can't because most of the guys on this team can't hit to the opposite field very well, and they swing and miss a lot. It's a team built to hit three run homeruns, but with guys who don't hit in the clutch. If they don't get to the playoffs this year, I think the team will be rebuilt with speedier hitters who make more contact, in the mold that Ozzie really wants.

jeremyb1
05-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Chicken

You saw it in the ninth inning. It was terrible. First of all, manager's must be held accountable for execution the majority of the time because they should be familiar with their players' skills. Ozzie should know Rowand is not a great basestealer and he should be aware that even if Sandy is solid bunter, bunt attempts fail about one in five times so there is always a risk involved. Furthermore, I don't think the bunt there is a good move under many circumstances. If the runner was on second that's a completely different story but by moving him to second at best you have two attempts for Valentin and Harris to get hits if not the game's over. Why not pitch hit Uribe for Sandy and let him swing away.

Paulwny
05-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
You saw it in the ninth inning. It was terrible. First of all, manager's must be held accountable for execution the majority of the time because they should be familiar with their players' skills. Ozzie should know Rowand is not a great basestealer and he should be aware that even if Sandy is solid bunter, bunt attempts fail about one in five times so there is always a risk involved. Furthermore, I don't think the bunt there is a good move under many circumstances. If the runner was on second that's a completely different story but by moving him to second at best you have two attempts for Valentin and Harris to get hits if not the game's over. Why not pitch hit Uribe for Sandy and let him swing away.

Oz is playing by the book with putting the tying run at 2nd, tie at home go for the win on the road.

It was not a straight steal with Rowand. Willie had a long at bat was fouling off pitches, the count was 3+2, Oz probably felt that Harris was going to make contact and by starting Rowand a hole is created in the infield.

mdep524
05-15-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by samram
Exactly right. The other problem with this team, with its historically poor mental approach, has seemed to become a team that thinks that one run is really great output. It seems as if they don't hit a homerun, it is impossible to score more than one run an inning, and usually they can't even get more than one hit in an inning. I think Ozzie would like to hit and run more, but he can't because most of the guys on this team can't hit to the opposite field very well, and they swing and miss a lot. It's a team built to hit three run homeruns, but with guys who don't hit in the clutch. If they don't get to the playoffs this year, I think the team will be rebuilt with speedier hitters who make more contact, in the mold that Ozzie really wants.

Great points sam, but why wait until next year? If it were me I would start rebuilding this team right NOW, while they still have an excellent chance at the 2004 playoffs.