PDA

View Full Version : How far is too far behind?

ChiSox7
05-15-2004, 12:59 PM
After looking at alot of the posts following last night's big game, a lot of people seem to think that we could come back if we fell well behind the Twins. Right now it's 2 GB, but I have fears that it could be more after a tough week at cleveland and Minny.

People have been saying during our offensive struggles, which have been present for the last 3 years at this time, that it is ok to fall behind 4 or 5 games because we came back from way more than that last season. The problem is, that we came back against the Royals and not the Twins. We were never that far behind the Twins in the standings, and this is with them losing FOURTEEN OUT OF SIXTEEN games last season. I wouldn't count on that happening again. We did come from far behind last season, but that was against a bad KC team.

So my question is, how far behind is too far behind this season?

Here's to hoping we don't have to find that out.

chisoxmike
05-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Anything more than 5 is going to be a problem.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-15-2004, 03:49 PM
i'd say like 6 games.....10 and kerplap

MRKARNO
05-15-2004, 05:23 PM
I'll start to get really worried at 5 games

White_Sock
05-15-2004, 05:30 PM
After looking at alot of the posts following last night's big game, a lot of people seem to think that we could come back if we fell well behind the Twins. Right now it's 2 GB, but I have fears that it could be more after a tough week at cleveland and Minny.

We still have a chance to be in first (tied) by sunday afternoon. I think this will happen. The Sox's offense can't stay dead for much longer before this team rallies and puts the Twinkies back in their place (2nd to us). I also seriously doubt that we will have a tough time in Cleveland. I'm calling a five game winning streak starting now.

SoxxoS
05-15-2004, 05:32 PM
:reinsy

"Three and a half, and there is no chance..."

bigdommer
05-15-2004, 06:18 PM
I don't think there is a set number, but the Sox just have to avoid long droughts. They have not really played that well this year, but they also have not more than one prolonged losing streak (the sweep in Toronto).

I think that the key with this team is that they stay focused every day. Even if they go .500 for the next month or two, they will still remain in the race. And you always know that the bats will get hot and they will go on some sort of streak. The only question is when will the streak start, and how long will it last.

LongLiveFisk
05-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

I'll agree with that, and I'll add this:

If it's even the slightest bit of consolation to anyone, it's May, and we are notorious for having crappy Mays. Let's hope we can ride this thing out ok and look forward to June 1. :smile:

TDog
05-15-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

How comfortable would you feel with a 5-game lead in May?

Nard
05-15-2004, 08:45 PM
In May? I'd say 10. And with the way we're playing to only be at 2... I mean, come on, it's beautiful.

These Valentin errors are worrying me right now.

TDog
05-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Nard
In May? I'd say 10. And with the way we're playing to only be at 2... I mean, come on, it's beautiful.

These Valentin errors are worrying me right now.

Maybe we should find another shortstop.

SoxxoS
05-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by TDog
Maybe we should find another shortstop.

We have one...Juan Uribe.

chisoxfan79
05-15-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by White_Sock
We still have a chance to be in first (tied) by sunday afternoon. I think this will happen. The Sox's offense can't stay dead for much longer before this team rallies and puts the Twinkies back in their place (2nd to us). I also seriously doubt that we will have a tough time in Cleveland. I'm calling a five game winning streak starting now.

do not push aside Cleveland they have been putting uo some runs all year long including winning four out of six against Boston the last two weeks.