PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Alomar Jr.

Frank the Tank
05-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Is anyone else getting sick of seeing Sandy in the everyday lineup? I think he adds value to the team. He is an accomplished veteran that can pass down a lot of knowledge to the younger guys, but he is getting way too much playing time. He is batting a respectable .286, but I think he is a defensive liability at catcher. Baserunners steal at will against him. My point is that I think Olivo has proven he is our catcher of the future. He has an absolute cannon for a throwing arm. He has way too much talent and potential to be splitting time with Sandy Alomar Jr.

mantis1212
05-15-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
Is anyone else getting sick of seeing Sandy in the everyday lineup? I think he adds value to the team. He is an accomplished veteran that can pass down a lot of knowledge to the younger guys, but he is getting way too much playing time. He is batting a respectable .286, but I think he is a defensive liability at catcher. Baserunners steal at will against him. My point is that I think Olivo has proven he is our catcher of the future. He has an absolute cannon for a throwing arm. He has way too much talent and potential to be splitting time with Sandy Alomar Jr.

I agree, he doesn't look good out there. I think they're playing way too much, and I'd like to see Olivo get much more playing time.

CHISOXFAN13
05-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank

The reason baserunners are running at will against Alomar and even Olivo is because our pitchers, aside from Buerhle, are awful at holding them on.

There's nothing you can do when the guy is 10 feet form 2nd and the ball is just now getting to you.

bigdommer
05-15-2004, 10:04 AM
I know it's only one AB, but Alomar's failure to get a bunt down last night killed the Sox chances. You have to expect a veteran role player to lay down a bunt. It's one of the easiest things to do in baseball. That would have at least guaranteed a plate appearance for Jose, and he could have won it with one swing.

sas1974
05-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Although he's not going to learn by riding the pine, I don't get the impression that our pitchers are comfortable w/ Miguel's pitch-calling ability yet. After Garland's game the other day, he complemented Sandy's ability to call the game and said that he didn't think that he shook him off once. I believe Olivo usually catches Garland. I don't understand why they just can't call the game from the bench, but maybe they feel it breaks the pitcher's rhythm too much.

soxtalker
05-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
The reason baserunners are running at will against Alomar and even Olivo is because our pitchers, aside from Buerhle, are awful at holding them on.

There's nothing you can do when the guy is 10 feet form 2nd and the ball is just now getting to you.

I think you have a point. I was at the game last night, and it seemed like the Sox pitchers threw over to first very rarely. That being said, it is also pretty clear that Alomar is not terribly feared by baserunners.

Alomar does seem to be playing more than was anticipated at the beginning of the season.

samram
05-15-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
Although he's not going to learn by riding the pine, I don't get the impression that our pitchers are comfortable w/ Miguel's pitch-calling ability yet. After Garland's game the other day, he complemented Sandy's ability to call the game and said that he didn't think that he shook him off once. I believe Olivo usually catches Garland. I don't understand why they just can't call the game from the bench, but maybe they feel it breaks the pitcher's rhythm too much.

I think you're right about the pitcher's comfort level with Olivo's game calling, but they have been around long enough that they should know what they should be throwing out there. None of our four main starters has less than three or four seasons of experience and they have seen most of the hitters multiple times. Olivo, although he hasn't had a lot of success throwing runners out this year either, at least makes runners think twice and presents a threat he will pick someone off first as well. If Olivo isn't given a chance to get to learn how to call a game for each of the pitchers, we will have an old veteran playing 80 games every year for the next five years just to call games. Not to mention, Alomar was the one who called for the change-up to Phelps in Toronto when Cotts was throwing his fastball by him.

Paulwny
05-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by sas1974

Unless it's been changed, Olivo doesn't call the pitches.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=31308&s=&perpage=15&pagenumber=1&display=show

Paulwny
05-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Unless it's been changed, Olivo doesn't call the pitches.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=31308&s=&perpage=15&pagenumber=1&display=show

Maybe I should have read today's Southtowns before posting the above.

The 23-year-old Olivo also calls the pitches without help from the dugout.

"This kid is better than people think," Guillen said. "He calls his own game, and that (includes) a lot of things. For a kid to take charge and do it right away ... He has a chance to be a good one."

misty60481
05-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Why not make Sandy a coach he can go over the line-up before the game and then work in bullpen during he is veteren and most of young pitchers respect him-- then bring Burke back up and they can work with Sandy in pen when not playing--
they are stealing way to many bases it is almost that a single is automatic double they dont lose an out on a sacrifice

The_Floridian
05-15-2004, 11:43 AM
They want one more full season of Sandy tutoring Olivo, and that's not a bad idea. We have our future backup (Burke) ready and waiting in the minors. This is obviously going to be Sandy's last season on the South Side, and maybe as a player in general.

Sandy is only catching our two lefties at the moment, but I believe soon he will only be catching Buehrle and filling in for Olivo when he needs a break.

Essentially, Sandy's playing time is going to shrink as the season prgoresses. I don't mind him being there right now. There's going to be things that come up that Olivo is going to want to turn to him for knowledge on. One more full season of Sandy is not a bad thing, and may be a very good thing in the long run.