PDA

View Full Version : Calling out Ozzie

gosox41
05-15-2004, 12:28 AM
I feel the need to be a little nit picky as I'm sick of watching the same trends I've seen develop last season (and by that I mean extended periods of offensive slumps)

Ozzie made a point in one of his earlier press conferences saying how if a player were struggling he would be asked to do other little things to help a team win. I believe he made mention of the possibility of having Magglio or Frank bunt if the situation called for it.

So in the 4th (or 5th) inning of tonight's game PK came up with less then 2 out and a runner on second. Everyone was playing back. I know it's early in the game, but I could make a good case for PK struggling big time at the plate (except for yesterday's 5 RBI game). Why not throw down a bunt. Surely PK has been taking some bunting practice since Ozzie declared that player's better be willing to sacrifice themselves if they're struggling. Im mean if Frank or Magglio are mentioned specifically as players who may be asked to take one for the team and bunt, surely PK falls in that category.

Guess what. Outside of last August and a couple of good games this season, PK is struggling. Unless you call an average below .240 great, I'd say it would be time for Ozzie to live up to his word instead of waiting around for struggling hitters (in this case a hitter who hasn't had a good half since 2002) to hit a home run.

Bob

SEALgep
05-15-2004, 11:34 AM
PK just needed to move the runner over, which he did. It doesn't have to be a bunt. He grounded to the other side of Lee, allowing him to advance. Same result as if he laid down a good bunt. However, bunting isn't PK's strength (nor Alomars apparently). If he can advance the runner another way, by placing the ball where he wants it, while getting the same results, then why not. It was a good job by PK.