PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial "The Sky is Not Falling" Thread

The_Floridian
05-14-2004, 10:43 PM
Listen. Tonight sucked. It sucked bad. Sucked like opening day in KC bad.

But THE SKY IS NOT FALLING.

Ozzie did NOT manage a bad game, so just cut that noise. Maybe he got outmanaged by a guy who's got a lot of experience, but he didn't manage a bad game.

Marte should not have been pulled facing Jones. We had a lefty lefty matchup against him, and Marte is a very different pitcher from Schoenweis. It was the smart play to leave him in. But sometimes the smart play doesn't work.

Coming into tonight, Marte had given up just one earned run since opening day. He had the lowest ERA of anyone on the team. He's the guy who should have been in there. So let's not feed him to the hogs or roast Ozzie.

Yeah, it was a bad loss. And now we're two games back with a mere 128 games to go. Whatever shall we do?

Lighten up everybody. Everything is going according to plan.

SoxxoS
05-14-2004, 10:44 PM
Ozzie did manage a bad game, there is no question about it.

It's fine that he did, but the lineup, the strategy, and most important, the execution SUCKED.

batmanZoSo
05-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by The_Floridian

Ozzie did NOT manage a bad game, so just cut that noise. Maybe he got outmanaged by a guy who's got a lot of experience, but he didn't manage a bad game.

Marte should not have been pulled facing Jones. We had a lefty lefty matchup against him, and Marte is a very different pitcher from Schoenweis. It was the smart play to leave him in. But sometimes the smart play doesn't work.

Coming into tonight, Marte had given up just one earned run since opening day. He had the lowest ERA of anyone on the team. He's the guy who should have been in there. So let's not feed him to the hogs or roast Ozzie.

Yeah, it was a bad loss. And now we're two games back with a mere 128 games to go. Whatever shall we do?

Everything just sucked. Here's the Sox.

http://www.usasoftball.com/Women/Panam/03PanAms/PhotoGallery/DayThree/popsicle.jpg

Sucking it up in the dugout and on the field.

ChiSox7
05-14-2004, 10:51 PM

If by according to plan you mean losing the division to the Twins once again, maybe you are right. FOr the past couple years I've heard "the sky is not falling," and yet, at the end of every season, it falls right on our friggin face, with the Twins coming out on top.

Today is a perfect example of why the Twins have beaten us the last two years. No clutch hitting. We did not have a hit with a RISP. When the Twins needed the two big hits, they got them. When we needed a big hit, we didn't get them.

I haven't seen one thing all year that suggests this will change this season. We just don't have any clutch players. We are 2 GB and that is sure to go down when we have to travel to cleveland and Minny. We'll slowly fall just like the last couple of years.

July will come and our bats will heat up for one month, and we will hit well because we are so far behind in the standing, just like last year. We will come within 3 or 4 games and then suck on offense again cause the pressure is on.

I want to believe things will change, but I just don't have any evidence to beleive otherwise. Ozzie has been outmanaged. They got very lucky when they weren't hitting, which was sweet. Not we're not lucky (see Marte getting squeezed) and we are losing. Our hitting sucks, and that won't change til its too far behidn and there is no pressure.

In our last four losses opponents have scored 4, 4, 1, and 3 runs. That is unbelievable. You can't lose games like that.

I hate to say it but "the sky is falling." This team looks exactly like the last two that lost to the Twins.

gosox41
05-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
If by according to plan you mean losing the division to the Twins once again, maybe you are right. FOr the past couple years I've heard "the sky is not falling," and yet, at the end of every season, it falls right on our friggin face, with the Twins coming out on top.

Today is a perfect example of why the Twins have beaten us the last two years. No clutch hitting. We did not have a hit with a RISP. When the Twins needed the two big hits, they got them. When we needed a big hit, we didn't get them.

I haven't seen one thing all year that suggests this will change this season. We just don't have any clutch players. We are 2 GB and that is sure to go down when we have to travel to cleveland and Minny. We'll slowly fall just like the last couple of years.

July will come and our bats will heat up for one month, and we will hit well because we are so far behind in the standing, just like last year. We will come within 3 or 4 games and then suck on offense again cause the pressure is on.

I want to believe things will change, but I just don't have any evidence to beleive otherwise. Ozzie has been outmanaged. They got very lucky when they weren't hitting, which was sweet. Not we're not lucky (see Marte getting squeezed) and we are losing. Our hitting sucks, and that won't change til its too far behidn and there is no pressure.

In our last four losses opponents have scored 4, 4, 1, and 3 runs. That is unbelievable. You can't lose games like that.

I hate to say it but "the sky is falling." This team looks exactly like the last two that lost to the Twins.

Well said. Some (like me) get accused for getting too riled up and too negative early in the year. But that's only because this team does the same thing every year.

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Bob

Nard
05-14-2004, 10:57 PM
ChiSox7: Go join a Twinkies forum.

I'm being serious here. Not joking whatsoever.

Go join a Twins forum. You have more enthusiasm towards them than most of their own fans do.

ChiSox7
05-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Nard
ChiSox7: Go join a Twinkies forum.

I'm being serious here. Not joking whatsoever.

Go join a Twins forum. You have more enthusiasm towards them than most of their own fans do.

It's called realism. I'm frustrated. What do you want. I say what I feel. I mean I could lie. I have followed every inning of every Sox game this year because I want them to win so bad. I'm in the chat everynight.

I've stayed up late to root against the Twins on tv because I hate them so much and I want to win the division so bad. I posted what I posted because I believe it to be true. If you disagree thats cool...

BUT DON"T YOU DARE, EVER AGAIN, ACCUSE ME OF BEING A TWINS FAN. EVER.

Win1ForMe
05-14-2004, 11:04 PM

Yeah, it's one game *this* season, but it's game 1,458,753 in the series of getting our asses handed to us by the Twins the last 4 years. We still play the same way, and if that's any indicator, we'll end up in 2nd place when all is said and done.

MRKARNO
05-14-2004, 11:23 PM
The sox are 5-7 in the first game of a series and have only lost 2 series all year. Expect the Sox to come back and take the next two like we all expected.

Lip Man 1
05-14-2004, 11:26 PM
Well the Twins starter Saturday has an ERA of 6.5.

Guess that means the Sox can score four runs!

Lip

Viva Magglio
05-14-2004, 11:27 PM
No, the sky is not falling...yet.

MRKARNO
05-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Tell me the sky is falling when we're 10 games out of first or if we're down by 5 late in the season. We came back from 8.5 down last year and no team in this division is good enough to keep a big lead up and the Twins simply arent going to win more than 92 games under any circumstances: they just dont have the talent.

hose
05-14-2004, 11:48 PM
It's a tough loss but the Sox still can take 2 out of 3 and win the series.

I expect the Sox to jump all over this busher the Twins are running out there tomorrow.

I will be watching to see if Loaiza can get some more giddy up on his heater.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040513&content_id=742796&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

elrod
05-14-2004, 11:54 PM
Marte should have been pulled because of his reaction to not getting the call in the Mientkiewicz at-bat. We've seen it before. A pitcher doesn't get a call and loses his cool. Happened in Baltimore with Koch. Marte then threw seven straight balls. After the four-pitch walk to Hunter Ozzie should have pulled him. He's good but not when he's flustered. And let's face it. After falling behind 2-0 to Jones he threw a meatball that Jones could've hit out of the park. Marte was absolutely struggling at that point and should have been taken out before Jones.

OurBitchinMinny
05-14-2004, 11:55 PM
Ozzie managed a terrible game. Why wasnt uribe in the starting lineup? Why didnt he at least pinch hit for the human K against fultz. Marte pitched brutally bad, but it is just one game. its may 14. They just got to come out and win games 2. The offense has got to score more than two runs and if the bullpen is handed the lead even if its one to nothing its their job to hold. The bullpen (marte) blew the game tonight. The offense was bad, but it was bad for the twins too, until marte got in and then ford got the game winning hit off takatsu. The weather was terrible, but thats no excuse. With this teams June schedule, they will not win the division if they are more than 4 or 5 games out after may.If they are, they will be at least 10 out after June, which means a white flag sale.

batmanZoSo
05-15-2004, 12:03 AM
Guys, the sky IS falling. This is the Twins. We should all be very upset over throwing a game away to them.

Now, if we win, the sky recedes upward a little bit. But don't underestimate how important this is. I'm with chi7...I'm sick of hearing don't panic, then in the end we lose. I don't get too upset over losing to the Orioles, but we have to beat these guys. It's clear that's what it's gonna come down to--who wins the season series.

FarWestChicago
05-15-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Guys, the sky IS falling.:prozac

HITMEN OF 77
05-15-2004, 12:59 AM
Not worries, take 2 of 3 and were in first. Could have, shoud have, would have tonight, tomorrow's a new day. Let's beat the **** out of the twinks now.

HomeFish
05-15-2004, 01:13 AM
The curse of Jose Paniagua continues.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
It's called realism. I'm frustrated. What do you want. I say what I feel. I mean I could lie. I have followed every inning of every Sox game this year because I want them to win so bad. I'm in the chat everynight.

I've stayed up late to root against the Twins on tv because I hate them so much and I want to win the division so bad. I posted what I posted because I believe it to be true. If you disagree thats cool...

BUT DON"T YOU DARE, EVER AGAIN, ACCUSE ME OF BEING A TWINS FAN. EVER.

It's baseball. We play these guys 19 times this season. The outcome of this game isn't the same as the Bears blowing another game to the ViQueens. We're playing 162 before the season is over.

Just chill.

Kilroy
05-15-2004, 07:55 AM
Some of you have no heart. Throw a little disappointment your way, and all is lost.

No one said it was gonna be easy. In fact, that its not easy is what will make it feel so good when we do win.

Its already been said, but it needs to be said again. This is the first game out of 19 that we play those guys.

MRKARNO
05-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Let me state this right now:

The Twins are not going to sweep us at home. It just ain't going to happen

That Being said, if we split the next two, we're still only the same place we're at now, 2 games out of first place. Think about where we are with the season: About 1/5 into it (or 21% to be more exact). Being two games out with 4/5ths of the season left is not such a bad thing. Two games back at the beginning of september isn't even such a terrbile thing. Obviously I hope we take the next two and pull even, but even if we split, we're still in good shape, but we have to split or take 3 in Minny to make a statement. We can't lose 3 of 4 in minny and lose 2 more games. Then it's time to start worrying, but it we go 3-4 with the Twins over these 7 games, it isn't exactly the worst thing in the world.