PDA

View Full Version : Our Bullpen (it's a good thing)

The_Floridian
05-14-2004, 06:04 PM
Credit where credit is due. Our bullpen was OUTSTANDING in our series against Baltimore the last three days.

Take a look at these stats for our bullpen the last three games:

8.2 IP 2 H 3 BB 3 K 0.00 ERA

Not one run allowed to a very good lineup. That's smashing good work, boys.

Furthermore, I think our bullpen deserves a lot more credit than it's getting. With the exception of Politte, everyone has been pretty solid. Koch has given us the usual ulcers, but he appears to be getting stronger. I tjust might be possible that he'll be a good closer.

Since giving up a double to Hideki Matsui and a two run homer to Bubba Crosby to open the year, Shingo has pitched 11 innings, giving up just one run while striking out 10 and walking just 3.

Damaso Marte has come around from that early shelling in KC. He's down to a 2.40 ERA in 15 innings, with 2 saves to boot.

Neal Cotts has been solid as well. He's holding a 2.45 ERA through 14.2 innings pitched.

Jon Adkins has been a great surprise too. With the exception of one game where he got shelled, he's been outstanding for us, and a real workhorse too.

Adkins ERA is now 3.18. Mike Jackson's is 3.46.

Even Billy Koch seems to be settling down. He looked good last night. Just hope he can hold it.

Yeah, I like our bullpen. And if Diaz can come around and be a solid 5 starter, I'll be very, very happy with our pitching staff.

TheBull19
05-14-2004, 06:10 PM
The bullpens definitely shaping up better than I had anticipated. If Koch ends up blowing up again I'll feel a lot better about Marte as closer - I thought it might be a one man bullpen for the sox this year.

hose
05-14-2004, 06:38 PM
I had my doubts about Shingo in the first week of the season, but now I think he looks outstanding.

Cliff Politte really impressed me with his heat, but I guess there is a reason why Toronto gave up on him. His fastball tends to be to straight and if he can't get guys swinging at the high cheese, he has to have really good control to be effective.

Neil Cotts is going to become a very servicabe starting pitcher in the future and Adkins looks like he has found a job as a long reliever.

Marte is back to his form of last year after a rough 1st week.

Koch has got to cut down on his walks , but he isn't giving up the gopher ball so he has had a bit of success recently. Koch looks like he is throwing harder, it's hard to tell going by the gun. He isn't getting hit hard........ so hold your breath.

SoxxoS
05-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Everyone has performed to or exceeded expectations, minus Politte.

He better figure out how to get something over the plate with 3 balls. Take something off the heater, if you have to.

OurBitchinMinny
05-14-2004, 07:18 PM
I dont think marte has exceeded expectations. I expected him to have a era in the 1's and not have huge implosions like he has a few times. But other than that it has been somewhat of a surprise. Cotts was awful in toronto and shingo is gonna give up some dingers once it gets warmer. He has so many outs that go to the warning track. How they do in the twins series will be a big barometer for how good they are.

bigdommer
05-14-2004, 07:18 PM
I am really happy with the progress that Shingo has made. As expected, he struggled at the beginning trying to adjust to a new team in a new league in a new country on a new continent. It seems like he is starting to get comfortable, and my man is straight nasty. He gives a great righty situational guy that we have been missing and I think he makes Scott Sullivan look like a chump.

SoxFan76
05-14-2004, 07:35 PM
Takatsu's been great, but you can't leave him in against lefties. It's like BP for those guys. He's a setup man along with Damaso. Koch has only hurt himself, he isn't getting hit hard though. 6/7 saves I believe. I'll take that, no matter how painful it is.

Cotts has been impressive, minus that ball to Phelps. Jackson is doing his job, Adkins has been impressive, it's hard to believe the WHOLE bullpen has been impressive, but they have. I'm excited about Cotts though. He looks like he can be a star in the near future.

SEALgep
05-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Not only is the pen performing well, but they are rested as well. If Ozzie cxan keep the pen fresh throughout the season, we should be in real good shape pitching wise IMO.