Ryan Wing
Wyatt Allen
Royce Ring
Jeremy Reed
Josh Rupe

What do you think?

Well, let's be honest about a couple things:

1) KW basically ran the last couple of drafts under Schueler
2) A draft must be judged on its entireity, not just 3 rounds.

MRKARNO
05-14-2004, 02:05 PM
Thumbs way up to Reed. Thumbs up for Honel. Thumbs down for everyone else. The real story was this year's draft with thumbs way up for Sweeney and Anderson

HebrewHammer
05-14-2004, 02:08 PM
:threadsucks

poorme
05-14-2004, 02:12 PM
:?:

I'm not sure what your point is there...is it too early to judge?

Randar68
05-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Thumbs way up to Reed. Thumbs up for Honel. Thumbs down for everyone else. The real story was this year's draft with thumbs way up for Sweeney and Anderson

Haigwood and McCarthy were 16 and 17th round picks in 2002. Ryan Rodgriquez 4th round of 2003, Andy Gonzalez in the 5th round of 2001, Micah Schnurstein 7th round of 2002, Thomas Brice 24th round of 2002, Anthony Webster 15th round of 2001 (to Rangers for Carl Everett), Chris Young 16th round of 2001...

HebrewHammer
05-14-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by poorme
:?:

I'm not sure what your point is there...is it too early to judge?

The question posed was "what do you think?" and I think this is a pointless thread, so it gets hit with the Thread sucks guy.

poorme
05-14-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Well, let's be honest about a couple things:

1) KW basically ran the last couple of drafts under Schueler
2) A draft must be judged on its entireity, not just 3 rounds.

He drafted Ginter? Surprising he didn't give him more of a chance...

rdivaldi
05-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Why thumbs down for Ryan Wing, he's outpitched Honel at times... :?:

SoxxoS
05-14-2004, 02:50 PM
On a related note:

Brian Anderson has his average up to .343 His is killing the ball and he started off awfully slowly.

Sweeney's got his average up to .260, also after starting off very slowly. He will be at .300 in 3 weeks, IMO. He is coming into his own.

Anderson has got to get promoted in the next month, I would imagine. He played in the PAC-10, which is like "high A," isn't it? Anyone know?

Randar68
05-14-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
On a related note:

Brian Anderson has his average up to .343 His is killing the ball and he started off awfully slowly.

Sweeney's got his average up to .260, also after starting off very slowly. He will be at .300 in 3 weeks, IMO. He is coming into his own.

They've both been playing great the last 1-2 weeks.

Anderson has got to get promoted in the next month, I would imagine. He played in the PAC-10, which is like "high A," isn't it? Anyone know?

If he stays healthy, he'll likely be a mid-season promotion. Yes, I'd say PAC-10 is usually about equal to High-A competition.

Frater Perdurabo
05-14-2004, 03:25 PM
They've both been playing great the last 1-2 weeks.

If he stays healthy, he'll likely be a mid-season promotion. Yes, I'd say PAC-10 is usually about equal to High-A competition.

Randar, how likely is it that the whole Sox outfield of, say, 2006 or 2007, currently is playing in the Sox minor league system right now? Everything I read is positive (oustide of Borchard, of course). If you had to venture a prediction at this time, based on their successes to date, what are the major league ETAs for Reed, Anderson and Sweeney? Also, have all three of them passed up Borchard on the list of the Sox OF prospects?

rdivaldi
05-14-2004, 03:26 PM

I think they're going to use the same route with Anderson as they did with Reed last year. It's not like there are any worthwhile OF prospects in Birmingham anyway.

I would also like to see Casey Rogowski promoted as well. He has been very good this year and there is really no one in front of him at AA or AAA for that matter.

SoxxoS
05-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
I think they're going to use the same route with Anderson as they did with Reed last year. It's not like there are any worthwhile OF prospects in Birmingham anyway.

I would also like to see Casey Rogowski promoted as well. He has been very good this year and there is really no one in front of him at AA or AAA for that matter.

It is going to be VERY, VERY interesting to see what they do with CLee and Maggs. Reed's ready. You got to think he is going to get the call soon, just to have another option and see what we are looking at come next season.

Anderson has done nothing to show he is NOT legit. He will be in AA soon enough. You got to think he could be ready to contribute next season, ala Reed.

And Sweeney might be the best of the bunch. He is the youngest, but age is becoming less and less a factor here. Look at Miguel Cabrera. I do realize that he doesn't project as a possible next season call-up, and is probably a 2006 guy. But you never know.

That is 5 outfielders that all project to be better than starters...there just isn't enough room for them. Someones going...and I think it's going to be CLee.

Randar68
05-14-2004, 03:38 PM

Yep. I was really high on Casey ~2 years ago, but he was really slowed by that shoulder injury. I hope this is an indication of things to come from him, because he has some of the best patience at the plate in the system (obviously behind Reed). Good to see him driving the ball too.

Randar68
05-14-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Randar, how likely is it that the whole Sox outfield of, say, 2006 or 2007, currently is playing in the Sox minor league system right now? Everything I read is positive (oustide of Borchard, of course). If you had to venture a prediction at this time, based on their successes to date, what are the major league ETAs for Reed, Anderson and Sweeney? Also, have all three of them passed up Borchard on the list of the Sox OF prospects?

Reed? ETA this year unless KW makes some kind of splash for a CF'er. Again, he's not the Beltran-type of CF'er, but he'd definitely be an upgrade of Rowand.

Anderson? Well, he'll see some time in AA this year for sure. It'll be important that he keeps his K's about level and not have any big sustained leaps when moving up levels. I would hope he would get another complete year in the minors after this one. My ETA for Anderson would be start of 2006.

Sweeney? Heck, he's got such a high ceiling, depending on the MLB situation, he could be anywhere from start of 2006 to start of 2007. He slaps at the ball more often than I'd like to see (a la Olerud) and doesn't always look to drive the ball. He definitely has the frame to add some nice bulk naturally, and with some more coaching, could lead to much improved power. I look for Sweeney to make his AA debut LATE this year or early next. FYI, that is similarly on-track with the path Joe Mauer took. Realistically, I'd say start of 2007 is most likely. What they do with Maggs might be a big part of that.

I haven't heard much talk of it, but I have been saying, since he was drafted, that Sweeney might make one hell of a 1st baseman. Tall lefty, very agile and quick. Maybe the Sox feel it would be a shame to put a kid with an arm like his at 1st, but I feel he could eventually be a Doug Mientkeviech-type (wow I butchered that!) defensive 1B but with a lot more offensive potential.

Randar68
05-14-2004, 03:45 PM
That is 5 outfielders that all project to be better than starters...there just isn't enough room for them. Someones going...and I think it's going to be CLee.

Really depends on the Maggs situation, no?

SoxxoS
05-14-2004, 03:50 PM
Really depends on the Maggs situation, no?

Yeah, that is what I am saying. But you have to think that the Sox don't want to take a big PR hit by letting their best player leave. I'll assume that. So that leaves CLee...

If Anderson's ETA is 2006, then that is perfect. CLee-Reed-Maggs this year (hopefully) and 2005, then CLee leaves and we are looking at Reed-Anderson-Maggs.

Either way we are OK. If Sweeney's ready, and progresses faster than normal... and you said he can possibly play 1st, then that might be where you have to put him. Konerko will be off the books in 2006....

rdivaldi
05-14-2004, 03:54 PM
I really think you guys talking about moving Sweeney to first base are selling Rogowski a little short. The kid hits for average, some power, has great plate discipline, and has good speed. If we resign Maggs I envision a future outfield of Sweeney, Anderson, and Maggs with Lee perhaps moving to DH.

I know I left Reed out, I'm not on his bandwagon.

Randar68
05-14-2004, 03:56 PM
I really think you guys talking about moving Sweeney to first base are selling Rogowski a little short. The kid hits for average, some power, has great plate discipline, and has good speed. If we resign Maggs I envision a future outfield of Sweeney, Anderson, and Maggs with Lee perhaps moving to DH.

I know I left Reed out, I'm not on his bandwagon.

I know I left Rogowski out a little, but despite his injuries, he IS old for his league, and how can you be high on Casey but not on Reed?

Casey's also only 6'2" tall, below average for a 1st-baseman.

SoxxoS
05-14-2004, 03:57 PM
I know I left Rogowski out a little, but despite his injuries, he IS old for his league, and how can you be high on Casey but not on Reed?

I'm wondering the exact same thing...

maurice
05-14-2004, 04:01 PM
I'm very happy with the state of the Sox minor league system. Along with the guys Randar mentioned . . .

Reed obviously is solid and, despite Diaz's recent callup, there are a few other arms still producing at Charlotte. Unfortunately, I'm sad to say that Borchard may be done.

At Birmingham, Honel and Wing are both top prospects (though currently injured). Allen's numbers (especially his K/BB ratio) have been disappointing so far (though he did K 7 in 3 IP during his last relief outing). As noted in other threads, Munoz and Bajenaru have been filthy, along with the rest of the pen. Morse is having a breakout season but needs to cut down on the Ks. Spidale also is hitting well, getting on base, and stealing. Yan is getting his AVE up after a slow start, but his SB numbers are shockingly bad for a guy who used to steal at will.

Rogowski suddenly found his power stroke for W-S and (as mentioned) is due for a promotion soon. He always had a good eye and great speed for a 1B. Nanita is off to a slow start but was great last year. Lopez was the starting SS early but has played less recently. (Does anybody know if he was injured, or is it all due to Gonzalez's promotion?)

At Kanny, Valido is a great SS prospect, and they're trying to work Haggerty into the mix. Gray is on base all the time, but seems to have little power or speed. Bounds and King have been early disappointments, but there's plenty of time to turn it around. Miller's got great potential, but he's been very inconsistent. I hesitate to comment on any of the other A-ball pitchers this early in their careers. (Randar already mentioned McCarthy, Haigwood, and Rodriguez.)

Overall, a very nice crop of young players (though you'll hear no mention of this in the KW-bashing thread).

rdivaldi
05-14-2004, 04:03 PM

Well those injuries set him back a season, so we would be talking about him in AA if they hadn't happened, and 23 year olds in AA are legit prospects.

I just like Rogowski's swing at the plate better, more power, etc. I know it's "hip" to be on the Reed bandwagon especially after his monster 2003 season. But I just don't like his swing, reminds me of Mike Caruso at times. I hope he proves me to be 100% wrong, but I'm not optimistic.

rdivaldi
05-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Allen's numbers (especially his K/BB ratio) have been disappointing so far (though he did K 7 in 3 IP during his last relief outing).

A 3:1 K/BB ratio isn't exactly disappointing. I know this is a bit skewed from the clinic he put on last night, but Allen has really begun to flourish in relief. He has the arm to become a dominant closer.

maurice
05-14-2004, 04:21 PM
A 3:1 K/BB ratio isn't exactly disappointing. I know this is a bit skewed from the clinic he put on last night, but Allen has really begun to flourish in relief. He has the arm to become a dominant closer.

I'm talking about last year, when it was around 1:1. (Yikes!)

rdivaldi
05-14-2004, 04:42 PM

Yeah, he was absolutely brutal last year. I'm hoping that this year is the beginning of something good though. He has the "stuff" to be a closer.

hold2dibber
05-14-2004, 05:53 PM

Yuck - that's downright Garlandy. :D:

SoxxoS
05-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Yuck - that's downright Garlandy. :D:

I was thinking...if you are a fan of the opposing team when facing Garland...you must get so frustrated, b/c 75% of the time he walks a guy or gives up a hit, he gets a GIDP the next hitter. He is second in the majors in total double plays in the past 3 years! I don't know who #1 is...it's got to be Derek Lowe or someone like that.

A. Cavatica
05-14-2004, 07:49 PM
I know it's "hip" to be on the Reed bandwagon especially after his monster 2003 season. But I just don't like his swing, reminds me of Mike Caruso at times.

Really? Re-sign Mike Caruso!

hold2dibber
05-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Really? Re-sign Mike Caruso!

Ha!

batmanZoSo
05-15-2004, 12:20 AM
I was thinking...if you are a fan of the opposing team when facing Garland...you must get so frustrated, b/c 75% of the time he walks a guy or gives up a hit, he gets a GIDP the next hitter. He is second in the majors in total double plays in the past 3 years! I don't know who #1 is...it's got to be Derek Lowe or someone like that.

How about that. The guy is a sinker ball pitcher with that "heavy ball" that scouts like to say and he gives up a ton of gopher balls as well. Then again everybody gives up a lot of homers nowadays.

Rex Hudler
05-15-2004, 12:36 AM
Yes, I'd say PAC-10 is usually about equal to High-A competition.

No way any college baseball is equal to high Class A ball. If that were the case, then almost every college player would get drafted. Many upper Division I players aren't even good enough to play in Rookie ball.

With the exception of a few exceptional players in each league, college baseball is roughly equal to Advanced Rookie level. Think about it...... if a player like Anderson dominated in the PAC 10 (or Big 12 or SEC) and it was high A level, why would teams start those stars in Rookie ball? Many skip that level, but those are the cream of the crop.

I have seen many an SEC game and although that is very good college baseball, it is nowhere near High A overall. The best players, yes. But that is generally 1-3 players per team. Others, while they eventually become elite players, are underclassmen and are still developing.

Rex Hudler
05-15-2004, 12:44 AM
Well those injuries set him back a season, so we would be talking about him in AA if they hadn't happened, and 23 year olds in AA are legit prospects.

I just like Rogowski's swing at the plate better, more power, etc. I know it's "hip" to be on the Reed bandwagon especially after his monster 2003 season. But I just don't like his swing, reminds me of Mike Caruso at times. I hope he proves me to be 100% wrong, but I'm not optimistic.

I saw Reed play many of his 66 games in Birmingham last year and I saw NO Mike Caruso in his swing. I'm not sure if you saw him in ST when he was still working out the stiffness in his wrist or when you watched him hit, but just because he hits a lot of singles does not liken him to Caruso.

Soxheads
05-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Those are pretty good top draft picks.

And Baj was mentioned earlier....ERA down to .61. He's doing an interview for us and he seems to feel really good.Numbers certainly prove it. Kinda surprised Ulacia was promoted over him.

Frater Perdurabo
05-15-2004, 09:45 PM

And imagine if Garland regularly got to pitch against Konerko! His DP totals would increase exponentially!

Rex Hudler
05-16-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads
Those are pretty good top draft picks.

And Baj was mentioned earlier....ERA down to .61. He's doing an interview for us and he seems to feel really good.Numbers certainly prove it. Kinda surprised Ulacia was promoted over him.

Ulacia has been starting....... Baj is a reliever. Ulacia will likely make one start and be sent back to Birmingham.