PDA

View Full Version : Media Bias

bartmanisgod
05-14-2004, 11:23 AM
To all WSI patrons I am writing a rant for my literature class and I have chose to do the media bias between the sox and cubs...(It should pis alot of people of because it seems like there is all cub fans here.

Anyways I could use some material... anything it could be serious or could be funny...any help from you guys would be greatly appriciated...this rant is highly satiricle so I could use some good laughs at the cubs expense too...

Thanks in advance!

32nd&Wallace
05-14-2004, 11:26 AM
I wrote a thread about a week ago and talked about how Sox fans refuse to pity themselves and how teams like the Red Sox and Cubs have milked their pathetic existences. The Sox have had a semi-pathetic existence, but yet it is not milked. Sox fans refuse to market losing the same way the Cubs do. Remember, losing is not lovable, its not cute, its pathetic! Where do you go to school by the way?

Hangar18
05-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by 32nd&Wallace
I wrote a thread about a week ago and talked about how Sox fans refuse to pity themselves and how teams like the Red Sox and Cubs have milked their pathetic existences. The Sox have had a semi-pathetic existence, but yet it is not milked. Sox fans refuse to market losing the same way the Cubs do. Remember, losing is not lovable, its not cute, its pathetic! Where do you go to school by the way?

THis is an excellent angle Bartman, I'd go with this. You could Tongue-in-Cheek talk about how the MEDIA played Up Ligue and CUb fans running on field, and Played DOWN cub fans taking Dodger Hat, cub fan attacking randy myers (but do it in a KILEY-ESQUE way), Jokingly talk about how Radio Hosts were Outraged at suggestions of Violence in Wrigleyville, and how they SWORE there were no problems, then the Next Day, there were stories from Business Owners and Neighbors DETAILING SUCH PROBLEMS.

Frater Perdurabo
05-14-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by bartmanisgod
To all WSI patrons I am writing a rant for my literature class and I have chose to do the media bias between the sox and cubs...(It should pis alot of people of because it seems like there is all cub fans here.

Anyways I could use some material... anything it could be serious or could be funny...any help from you guys would be greatly appriciated...this rant is highly satiricle so I could use some good laughs at the cubs expense too...

Thanks in advance!

I've toyed with the idea of using the Sox/Cubs media bias as part of my eventual Ph.D. dissertation, which I plan to write on the role of propaganda in a democracy. If I follow through, I plan to use Hangar's numbers for the section on Sox/Cubs. The Sox/Cubs issue probably would be the introductory chapter because it is pretty easy to understand once it is explained and analyzed. (My master's portfolio was on propaganda and media bias as well.)

If I could offer any advice, don't overdo the satire aspect. Leave it for the conclusion. For the body of your paper (or presentation?), stick to the facts and provide clear and concise examples. In the introduction, talk about the Cubs' ownership. Talk about demographics. Talk about the importance of advertising. Talk about how the media is a business and that it is perfectly logical for the media to pursue what they believe to be the largest demographic with the greatest amount of disposable income. (The 18-34 male demographic has the most disposable income of any population group in the U.S.) Talk about how it is indeed the responsibility of the corporate media to maximize profits to pay shareholder dividends within the capitalist system. Point out how Wrigley Field looks just like a beer commercial. For audio-visual material, tape part of a Cubs game and then tape a Miller Lite or Bud Lite commercial, and discuss how they are so alike.

Good luck.

bartmanisgod
05-14-2004, 08:47 PM
I go to Loyola University Chicago

markp8867
05-14-2004, 09:17 PM
If you want bias, just look at last week's paper after the shooting in Wrigleyville. It is the top story all over town yet the Tribune doesn't even put it in it's most popular sections (main section or sports section) but puts it at the bottom of its metro section. The story itself was vague and made out like it was just a coincidence that the traffic altercation and shooting occured in front of Wrigley Field. In reality, the fan who was slain was coming home from the game and after being nearly hit by an SUV, he was gunned down in cold blood. It could have been any fan walking home! Of course any negative stories about the Sox are always front page material.

Also, the Tribune went nuts last year after the Cubs won their division. They had special sections, tributes, you name it for all the Cubs fans. After the Sox won in 2000, there was very little special sections that I could remember.