PDA

View Full Version : Cell-fanatics Article

GoSox2K3
05-14-2004, 12:02 PM
There's an article in today's Trib about fans using cell phones at ballgames. Of course, the Trib is giving the Cubs and Sox equal coverage here (notice how they only give equal coverage or more Sox coverage when they have something negative to say?)

The Trib's website is asking for fans input. You might enjoy the fact that several people posted saying that this sort of behavior is expected at Wrigley and that, although it happens at USCF, the fans are much better there. I posted a similar comment. If you are interested here's the link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/chi-040513cell-story,1,4279393.story?coll=chi-homepagenews2-utl

Another chance for see Sox fans speak up and get the truth out about the worst fans in baseball (Wrigley fans).

Sad
05-14-2004, 12:53 PM
this is one of my top pet peeves...

there's nothing more annoying :angry: than watching a ballgame (and I watch many) & seeing some Doofus (who happened to stumble upon a good seat) repeatedly waving at the camera & talking on cell phone to a person they probably seen within the last couple hours...

Sad
05-14-2004, 12:55 PM
I can't read the article without a password
I assume that's what it's about?
:?:
if not, it should be...

sas1974
05-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Sad
I can't read the article without a password
I assume that's what it's about?
:?:
if not, it should be...

You just need to register w/ www.chicagotribune.com . It's free!

steff
05-14-2004, 01:38 PM
"Equal" coverage....?

I think the guy (in the print edition) on the front page of the Tempo section waving to the cameras, while on the phone, wearing a CUBS jersey is plenty biased to their own fans.

They never would have gotten that shot at our house.

sas1974
05-14-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by steff

Not until June 25th. :D:

Lip Man 1
05-14-2004, 01:54 PM
It sounded to me that the story was really ripping on Cub fans. And that part at the end talking with the 39 year old woman on the phone constantly while at Wrigley was priceless.

Lip

GoSox2K3
05-14-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
And that part at the end talking with the 39 year old woman on the phone constantly while at Wrigley was priceless.

Lip

"Take the case of 39-year-old Cubs fan Rene Dinsmore.

During a recent trip to Wrigley Field, Dinsmore was seated four rows up behind home plate. She knew where the seats were before she got to the park. But what's the first thing she did when she sat down? Dinsmore grabbed her cell phone. She had the thing glued to her ear for much of the game. It's amazing she didn't get a stiff neck.

"I'm calling my daughter, I'm calling my sister, I'm calling my friends," Dinsmore said, pausing briefly to take a call. "I just want to make sure they see me. I'm pathetic, I know. I'm sorry."

Does she realize it's an irritating habit?

"I don't think I'm too bad about it," she said. "But someone might see me on TV and go, `Oh, my God.'"

Sounds like a typical Cubs fan.

Brian26
05-14-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
It sounded to me that the story was really ripping on Cub fans. And that part at the end talking with the 39 year old woman on the phone constantly while at Wrigley was priceless.

Lip

Well, they were ripping Cubs and Sox fans. There are quotes from Rooney and DJ about the same ridiculousness happening at the Cell.

Brian26
05-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by steff

I wish that were true. I see morons behind the visitor's dugout waving all the time when they are shooting a lefthanded batter.

inta
05-14-2004, 03:37 PM
yeah, unfortunately we cant say cell phone carrying morons are only a northside thing anymore.
seems like every sox game i watch these days has a bunch of idiots behind homeplate doing stupid stuff.

the dumbest thing i saw was some guy on his phone,waved to the camera, then 10 seconds later grabbed his girlfriends head and tried shoving it into his crotch. the camera had to cut away real fast.

who owns those seats anyway? they should revoke those season tickets from whoever gives them to these idiots.

markp8867
05-14-2004, 04:36 PM
People should have fun with it. Maybe turn it into a drinking game. Pick a player and when he is up to bat and there is someone waving on a cell phone, then you have to drink!

People at the game can have fun too. Instead of having that silly attendance quiz which is almost always the second highest number, they should show 4 annoying people in the ballpark and whoever gets the most boos is thrown out of the park. This would include people on cell phones as well as drunks and people who smoke in the seated area too.