PDA

View Full Version : Who was the outfielder who...


Cubbiesuck13
05-14-2004, 12:24 AM
undercut the Oz when he blew his knee while going back for a pop up? i think it was tim raines but cannot remember for sure. anyone know? huh? anyone? and how long was he out?

MisterB
05-14-2004, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
undercut the Oz when he blew his knee while going back for a pop up? i think it was tim raines but cannot remember for sure. anyone know? huh? anyone? and how long was he out?

It was indeed Tim Raines. April 21, 1992 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B04210CHA1992.htm) vs the Yanks, 9th inning. He was out until opening day 1993 (April 6).

DaveIsHere
05-14-2004, 08:33 AM
I remember watching that game and crinching when I saw the way his knee was hyperextended....Icky!!

MarqSox
05-14-2004, 08:53 AM
I could've sworn that injury occurred during an exhibition game in Las Vegas. Am I thinking of something else, or am I hallucinating?

Frater Perdurabo
05-14-2004, 08:54 AM
That was rough. It inagurated the Dale Sveum era. Mercifully, it only last through the rest of the 92 season. :(:

Brian26
05-14-2004, 08:57 AM
Anyone remember Hawk's reaction as soon as it happened???

:hawk

"Oh, Lordy."

Brian26
05-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I could've sworn that injury occurred during an exhibition game in Las Vegas. Am I thinking of something else, or am I hallucinating?

No, it was during the regular season, at home, and the collission was with Raines.

dpbyron
05-14-2004, 10:06 AM
1997 Spring training and his broken leg

YUCK

Randar68
05-14-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by dpbyron
1997 Spring training and his broken leg

YUCK

That Ventura injury was gruesome. Add in the Alou injury on the turf in Montreal when his leg snapped in a similar manner.

The worst in my mind is still Tampa Bay Devil Ray's pitcher Tony Saunders' arm snapping. Both times it happenned I just about puked.

Dadawg_77
05-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
That Ventura injury was gruesome. Add in the Alou injury on the turf in Montreal when his leg snapped in a similar manner.

The worst in my mind is still Tampa Bay Devil Ray's pitcher Tony Saunders' arm snapping. Both times it happenned I just about puked.

Worst ever was the pitcher who took a ball in the face and eye popped out.

Bobby Thigpen
05-14-2004, 11:17 AM
Jason Kendal had a pretty nasty one a few years ago crossing first base. :o:

Palehose13
05-14-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
It was indeed Tim Raines. April 21, 1992 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B04210CHA1992.htm) vs the Yanks, 9th inning. He was out until opening day 1993 (April 6).

Yup. I was at the game. I was not very happy.

TheBull19
05-14-2004, 05:30 PM
I remember watching the Guillen accident, too. Pretty horrible. It really seemed to phase the team, too. Anyone think that might have had an impact on the standings that year? I remember being pretty optimistic that year w/ the pitching and finally having bona fide sluggers like thomas and bell, but that kind of took the air out of things at the time.

RKMeibalane
05-14-2004, 05:36 PM
I remember that. 1992 was the first season that I started following baseball on a full-time basis. That particular game was against the Yankees. It seemed like Guillen's injury took the life out of the Sox that year. They were never the same after he went down.

Kadafi311
05-14-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
Jason Kendal had a pretty nasty one a few years ago crossing first base. :o:

Ouch.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/news/1999/07/04/brewers_pirates/t1_kendall_ap.jpg

bigdommer
05-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by dpbyron
1997 Spring training and his broken leg

YUCK

I will never forget the umpire gagging at the sight of Ventura's mangled limb. Oooh, painful to watch.

StillMissOzzie
05-14-2004, 10:27 PM
Who was the pitcher for the Giants who had cancer, had much of their muscles removed, came back to win one game, and then broke his arm the next time he pitched? He ultimately had that arm amputated after the cancer came back.

SMO
:?:

TornLabrum
05-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Dave Dravecky

Lip Man 1
05-14-2004, 10:51 PM
Actually Ozzie's injury inagurated the Craig Grebeck era at shortstop until he broke his leg. Then Dale was picked up in September. I recall that he did a decent job.

and let's not forget when Jim Kern's arm blew apart in the second game of the 1983 season at Texas. I was in the press box for that one and heard the sound of the bones snapping all the way up there. It ended his career.


Lip