PDA

View Full Version : How did Diaz look tonight?

cheeses_h_rice
05-13-2004, 11:29 PM
His line didn't look that good, but...was he nervous? Did he hit his spots? Does he look better than, say, Cotts or Rauch looked in their first appearances?

batmanZoSo
05-13-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
His line didn't look that good, but...was he nervous? Did he hit his spots? Does he look better than, say, Cotts or Rauch looked in their first appearances?

He looked a lot better than Cotts did last year. My god.

Diaz looked outstanding through 4 innings. In the fifth, he just fell apart. One pitch he left a fastball dead red up in the zone to Hairston and he jacked it. He made a few ill-advised pitches and was clearly nervous at times. He even thought he had a strikeout, pumped his fist and started heading toward the dugout, but it was only the second strike.

His control wasn't that good, but he only walked one. I attribute that to trying to be too fine with his location. He also seemed to wanna blow everyone away and he doesn't have the arm to do that. He's got a live arm, but not overpowering at all.

StockdaleForVeep
05-13-2004, 11:52 PM
We see all these guys come from our farm system who are stellar in the farms but tank in the majors, is it jitters or the farm system completely watered down, i mean comeon, didnt Minne Minoso play an AB during a AAA game last year?

batmanZoSo
05-13-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
We see all these guys come from our farm system who are stellar in the farms but tank in the majors, is it jitters or the farm system completely watered down, i mean comeon, didnt Minne Minoso play an AB during a AAA game last year?

Our organization has overhyped a lot of prospects in recent years. Especially when Schueler was aroud. They were selling the future and it never came. Nor was it gonna come.

Diaz is given a few more outings before he's "tanked it."

iwannago
05-13-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Our organization has overhyped a lot of prospects in recent years. Especially when Schueler was aroud. They were selling the future and it never came. Nor was it gonna come.

Why can't our new guys pitch like the O's starter in the first game?

batmanZoSo
05-14-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by iwannago

That stuff has nothing to do with the rookie pitchers and everything to do with Sox hitters. If Diaz faced the Sox, he'd have went 7 innings 4 hits.

StockdaleForVeep
05-14-2004, 12:02 AM

Oh like any of the Oakland dream team of pitchers. I mean they didnt hype crede that big and he's turnin into a solid player. Borchard, rauch, cotts to a degree are turning into busts. They made it a point to show diaz had a stellar record in minors(cotts had one too)

Maybe this is proof danny wright is that terrible if he gets lit up in the minors, Anyone know if wunsch can throw 5 innings?

Huisj
05-14-2004, 12:15 AM
the hyped crede enough to use him as the reason for why it wasn't a big deal that robin ventura left . . . and that was 5 or 6 years before crede came up and contributed much of anything

jordan23ventura
05-14-2004, 03:15 AM
IMO, he showed a lot of promise actually. He threw strikes and showed that he can be dominant when he's on. He gacve up I think 3 HR's but 1 walk. I'll take that over Danny Wright any day. Plus, it was clear he was nervous and a little embarrassed after his second time facing Palmeiro (when he walked off the mound with 2 strikes). Give the kid a chance before everyone puts him down. He pitched much better tonight then the numbers will show tomorrow.

ChiSoxBobette
05-14-2004, 06:14 AM

He would have if he was pitching against us.

SSN721
05-14-2004, 06:27 AM
I was there, and I just thought it was more that he made some mistakes then "tank it" At times he looked nervous up on the mound, but through the first 4 innings he looked confident and dominant to me. I thought he has great stuff and I would certainly not feel nervous about him getting another start. I dont know if he will be an ace or anything, but I think at the very least he can be serviceable 5th perhaps. Hopefully better than that. I just think he was nervous, I would give him a few more outings before giving up on him.

hose
05-14-2004, 06:36 AM
http://www.dailyherald.com/photos/inside/20040514_dh_l2_2_1_sc910669.jpg

jabrch
05-14-2004, 07:40 AM
That stuff has nothing to do with the rookie pitchers and everything to do with Sox hitters. If Diaz faced the Sox, he'd have went 7 innings 4 hits.

Cuz our offense is so terrible?

Sox hitters have looked fairly good this week to me we hit well both days we played this week. I'd tip my cap to the kid - Cabrera flat out beat us.

cheeses_h_rice
05-14-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by hose
http://www.dailyherald.com/photos/inside/20040514_dh_l2_2_1_sc910669.jpg

Is 54 Lorenzo Barcelo's old number?

Hangar18
05-14-2004, 09:46 AM
In another thread on Diaz, I noted how he looked good thru
the 5th, then his MECHANICS went awry. He started "falling off" the mound to his left, ala Mitch Williams. His balls then started Straightening Out, being left over the Plate, and he was getting hit hard. Really easy to point out ..........
I know the SOX will see game film and point this out to him....
it was VERY APPARENT

Randar68
05-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Oh like any of the Oakland dream team of pitchers. I mean they didnt hype crede that big and he's turnin into a solid player. Borchard, rauch, cotts to a degree are turning into busts. They made it a point to show diaz had a stellar record in minors(cotts had one too)

Ciotts is a bust? *** is wrong with you? He's got a 2.45 ERA and a 1.09 WHIP! Rauch was injured, and it wasn;t the organization that hyped him. He pitched fantastic in the Olympics and was the BA Minor League Player Of The Year.

Anyone know if wunsch can throw 5 innings?

Put the crack pipe down!

Randar68
05-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
I was there, and I just thought it was more that he made some mistakes then "tank it" At times he looked nervous up on the mound, but through the first 4 innings he looked confident and dominant to me. I thought he has great stuff and I would certainly not feel nervous about him getting another start. I dont know if he will be an ace or anything, but I think at the very least he can be serviceable 5th perhaps. Hopefully better than that. I just think he was nervous, I would give him a few more outings before giving up on him.

His bullpen session was pretty good. He came out well and made just the one mistake to Raffy. Once he gave up that first HR in the 5th, it all started falling apart. I was sitting too far from the mound to see, so thanks for that report.

How did his cutter look on TV? I haven't had a chance yet to see him throw that pitch (new pitch for him he developed in winter league)

kittle42
05-14-2004, 10:23 AM
He looked very well-groomed.

Nixey 02
05-14-2004, 10:36 AM
His problems started (and his day ended) on the Orioles' third look at his stuff. A seemingly typical result for a pitcher's major league debut...unless, of course, said pitcher is facing our Sox.

SSN721
05-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
His bullpen session was pretty good. He came out well and made just the one mistake to Raffy. Once he gave up that first HR in the 5th, it all started falling apart. I was sitting too far from the mound to see, so thanks for that report.

How did his cutter look on TV? I haven't had a chance yet to see him throw that pitch (new pitch for him he developed in winter league)

Yeah I can only speak more for just his look up there on a mental level. He looked very polished I thought. And even though he made those mistakes he still didnt look too phased to me. As far as his mechanics I dont feel qualified enough to give a scouting report. :D: JUst his presence and efficiency really impressed me. I hope he can iron out his mistakes and I have a feeling he will be more impressive on his next start.

mcfish
05-14-2004, 11:05 AM

Don't give up on Diaz yet. He look very good through 4. When he walked off the mound after strike 2, he seemed to lose confidence/get nervous and he had a bad 5th inning. But we won the game, which is more than I can say for a Danny Wright start. Give the guy a little more time before we decide he's "tanked it."

Hangar18
05-14-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Nixey 02
His problems started (and his day ended) on the Orioles' third look at his stuff. A seemingly typical result for a pitcher's major league debut...unless, of course, said pitcher is facing our Sox.

So NOBODY noticed how his Mechanics were Completely OFF in that inning ???? The clown started falling off the mound to his left NOTICABLY and all his pitches started straightening out

SSN721
05-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
So NOBODY noticed how his Mechanics were Completely OFF in that inning ???? The clown started falling off the mound to his left NOTICABLY and all his pitches started straightening out

I was on the third base side, so I was basically perpendicular, so it was hard for me to tell that he was falling to his left, as that would be away from me.

longshot7
05-14-2004, 11:49 AM

Remember this: Wilson Alvarez pitched a no-hitter in his 2nd start ever, and he turned out to be a .500 pitcher if that.

Iguana775
05-14-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
Remember this: Wilson Alvarez pitched a no-hitter in his 2nd start ever, and he turned out to be a .500 pitcher if that.

didn't he get hurt after leaving the Sox. he was pretty good before then.

TheBull19
05-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by longshot7

Yeah, he really stunk it up for the '93 division champs w/ that that 15-8 record and 2.95 era. 67-50 career w/ sox - pretty stinky.

Lip Man 1
05-14-2004, 01:03 PM
The Baseball Tonight guys (Brantley and Dibble) said everything that was hit was up in the strike zone. They said either he starts getting his pitches down or he'll be back in Triple A soon.

And on Alvarez he made the All Star Team in 1994 to boot. I think he was 12-4?

Lip

valposoxfan
05-14-2004, 01:23 PM
I was sitting behind the plate and his hook looked really good. He just got in trouble in that fifth, but other than that his offspeed stuff looked really tough.

Nixey 02
05-14-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

I was sitting just to the third base side of home plate, 20 rows up and I didn't notice any change in his mechanics. He was leaving the ball up in the zone (possibly mechanics-related) and the Orioles (on their 3rd look at him) started to sit on (and tee off on) the up-in-the-zone, straight-as-an-arrow fastballs.

On an unrelated note, the Sox should start a kangaroo court if only to fine Felix for his 2 out, strike 2-not strike 3, fist-pumping jog to the foul line when Palmiero was up. :D:

hose
05-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Is 54 Lorenzo Barcelo's old number?

Looking in the 2002 Sox media guide Barcello was #49

:thegreat