PDA

View Full Version : May Misery

Lip Man 1
05-13-2004, 07:17 PM
Some folks have wondered about the Sox and how they perform in May:

Here are the results since 2000

13-14 (00), 13-15 (01), 12-16 (02), 11-16 (03)

I can only think of two possible reasons why this is so and I have no idea how valid they might be...

1. The 'goofy' unbalanced schedule means the Sox face better teams in May since they usually play a lot of division opponents in April (and the 'Comedy' Central is pretty bad...)

2. The Sox have fewer off days in May meaning they have to go deeper into their rotation. The backend of the rotation has been poor since 1994, when these guys pitch...the Sox lose.

Submitted for discussion.

Lip

SoxxoS
05-13-2004, 07:20 PM
We have poor first half hitters...

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2004, 07:33 PM
I submit the following theory:

The Sox hitters generally do not perform well in the first half of the season. However, in April, most teams hitters are still trying to find their way. Consequently, the fact that the Sox hitters aren't playing well isn't that big of a deal in April. But by May, most hitters have improved while the Sox, still playing home games in unpredictable weather while most of the rest of the A.L. cities weather is improving, still struggle. Their hitting falls behind the rest of the league. Consequently, they have a rough May. When the weather heats up, the Sox hitters break out of their slumps, only to tank again in September.

HawkDJ
05-13-2004, 07:49 PM
The last winning May the Sox have had was in 1997.

nasox
05-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
The last winning May the Sox have had was in 1997.

And we all know how great that year was!!

:reinsy
"It sure was! 1 Aleinated fan base, not bad for a year's work!"

Voice of Reason
05-13-2004, 11:35 PM
I think both of Lip's explanations have some insight behind them. It could just be a fluke as well.

batmanZoSo
05-13-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Some folks have wondered about the Sox and how they perform in May:

Here are the results since 2000

13-14 (00), 13-15 (01), 12-16 (02), 11-16 (03)

I can only think of two possible reasons why this is so and I have no idea how valid they might be...

1. The 'goofy' unbalanced schedule means the Sox face better teams in May since they usually play a lot of division opponents in April (and the 'Comedy' Central is pretty bad...)

2. The Sox have fewer off days in May meaning they have to go deeper into their rotation. The backend of the rotation has been poor since 1994, when these guys pitch...the Sox lose.

Submitted for discussion.

Lip

Our Aprils haven't been too bad except for 2001 when everything just went to hell. Every year besides that one we've started off on a fine winning pace, but then toward the end of April and early May we just started sucking.

Those are very good points. I would also add Konerko's .190 May average (or thereabouts). I don't think people realize how much he kills us with his extended slumps. In 2000, we had a bad month because of suspensions mostly. We came out hotter than fire in April and were due for a slight letdown also.

Hokiesox
05-14-2004, 08:14 AM
Let's wait and see how they do this weekend and next. 4 of 6 from the Twins would go a long way to making this one a successful month.

Brian26
05-14-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

There have been a handful of teams since 1990 that have had SOLID 1 through 5 starting rotations. Even the New York Yankees have struggled with their number 5 spot.

bigdommer
05-14-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Our Aprils haven't been too bad except for 2001 when everything just went to hell. Every year besides that one we've started off on a fine winning pace, but then toward the end of April and early May we just started sucking.

Those are very good points. I would also add Konerko's .190 May average (or thereabouts). I don't think people realize how much he kills us with his extended slumps. In 2000, we had a bad month because of suspensions mostly. We came out hotter than fire in April and were due for a slight letdown also.

Konerko may not get a hit for a week, but that doesn't change the fact that he almost singlehandedly won the 2nd game yesterday.

My point...weekly and monthly averages are misleading, because you never know WHEN the guy got those hits. Look at Crede, his average is down, but a lot of his hits have mattered. Look at someone like Sammy Sosa. He has homered in more losing efforts than any player in history (I think). Who cares about numbers in losses and blowouts? I want to see guys come through with the game on the line.

Lip Man 1
05-14-2004, 01:17 PM
Brian:

I'm not picking on you specifically since I have heard this 'reasoning' before from others on this site and I don't understand it.

All the more reason to put yourself ahead of the compitition don't you think? Why not give yourself a chance to win every time out (a realistic chance...)

Because other teams have trouble filling the back end of the rotation then it OK for the Sox to struggle as well? What kind of rational is that?

It's the same reasoning that says 'We are in a war in Iraq (and my son is getting ready to go there) but instead of trying to finish it right now, we'll send less troops then we need, let them get killed because we didn't give the troops any armored Humvee's and to keep things interesting we won't give our troops enough body armor, water and batteries for night vision equipment...'

Makes perfect sense to me!

Lip

Medford Bobby
05-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Post expansion pitching since 1993 has made the talent pool so watered down that many teams number 3 guy might not even be No. 1 starter in AAA ball............and I think it's prevalent on many teams including the Sox (i.e. Danny Wright)

Sunny up here today north of Seattle........ :)

MeanFish
05-14-2004, 04:06 PM
At what point was Danny Wright a #3 MLB pitcher?