PDA

View Full Version : Game 2 thread

owensmouth
05-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Paulie goes deeeeeeeep. 5 RBIs

soltrain21
05-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Ugh...I hate Paulie but love him at the same time..

Clee on the other hand...I HATE HIM!

hold2dibber
05-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Wow. That was awesome. Is anyone watching on tv? Does it look like rain is going to end this one (or is it falling now)? I'm in the Loop and it's pouring pretty good.

The_Floridian
05-13-2004, 05:44 PM
Wow...Paulie with a flair for the dramatic!

Let's go rain! I mean...Sox!

SoxxoS
05-13-2004, 05:45 PM
The radar on weather.com looksl like it's not going to last long.

owensmouth
05-13-2004, 05:46 PM
I checked the radar a couple minutes ago. Looks like about a one hour delay

ChiSox7
05-13-2004, 05:47 PM
The O's casters just said that if they dont get the third out in the 6th, than Paul's HR does not count. THat's BS RIGHT?

illinibk
05-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Well, could last a while, with the storm moving NE

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/radar/images/DS.p19r0/SI.klot/latest.gif

thepaulbowski
05-13-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
The O's casters just said that if they dont get the third out in the 6th, than Paul's HR does not count. THat's BS RIGHT?

You have to finish the inning. If the game gets called the Sox lose, I believe.

soltrain21
05-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski

That is bullcrap. The inning should NOT have to end...we scored those runs with outs left...we could of even scored more. That is bullcrap

HomeFish
05-13-2004, 05:51 PM

Wills said they changed that rule a few years ago.

thepaulbowski
05-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
Wills said they changed that rule a few years ago.

Changed the rule to what?

hold2dibber
05-13-2004, 05:55 PM
CRAP!!! I thought they just had to finish 5 1/2 innings for the game to count. Well, the Sox and Orioles don't play again this year, so they certainly have incentive to try to finish this one - hopefully it'll clear long enough (and they'll wait it out until then) for the Sox to at least make one more out.

HomeFish
05-13-2004, 05:56 PM
Changed the rule to what?

If the game has gone on for at least 5 innings (4.5 innings if the home team is ahead) everything put up by the end of the game is valid.

That's the rule I learned; they must have changed it before I started following baseball. I've never heard the third-out rule.

thepaulbowski
05-13-2004, 05:57 PM
If the game has gone on for at least 5 innings (4.5 innings if the home team is ahead) everything put up by the end of the game is valid.

That's the rule I learned; they must have changed it before I started following baseball. I've never heard the third-out rule.

I'm not that old. :D: I could just me mistaken. A few too many :gulp: in my time!

voodoochile
05-13-2004, 06:01 PM

I think the home team has to get a chance to bat or it reverts to the last complete inning. I have no idea what they will do here, but the box score on ESPN does not show Paulie with a HR and 5 RBI, so I don't think they are official yet.

hold2dibber
05-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Rule 4.10(c) states:

"(c) If a game is called, it is a regulation game: (1) If five innings have been completed; (2) If the home team has scored more runs in four or four and a fraction half innings than the visiting team has scored in five completed half innings; (3) If the home team scores one or more runs in its half of the fifth inning to tie the score. "

Assuming the link I found was to the current rulebook (and I can't be certain it was), then the game is official and the Sox would win if its washed out.

What did Wills say on the radio?

HomeFish
05-13-2004, 06:03 PM
MLB.com lists the score as 6-5, as does Yahoo Sports.

thepaulbowski
05-13-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I think the home team has to get a chance to bat or it reverts to the last complete inning. I have no idea what they will do here, but the box score on ESPN does not show Paulie with a HR and 5 RBI, so I don't think they are official yet.

ESPN doesn't update the box score until after every half inning. If you look at the score it does have the Sox up.

anewman35
05-13-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Rule 4.10(c) states:

"(c) If a game is called, it is a regulation game: (1) If five innings have been completed; (2) If the home team has scored more runs in four or four and a fraction half innings than the visiting team has scored in five completed half innings; (3) If the home team scores one or more runs in its half of the fifth inning to tie the score. "

Assuming the link I found was to the current rulebook (and I can't be certain it was), then the game is official and the Sox would win if its washed out.

What did Wills say on the radio?

I have a copy of the 1997 rules, at least by that we'd win. 4.11(d) states a game is suspended if the visiting team scores and then the game gets rained out, but doesn't make any exception for the home team, meaning the game is over and we'd win.

voodoochile
05-13-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Rule 4.10(c) states:

(snip) If the home team has scored more runs in four or four and a fraction half innings than the visiting team has scored in five completed half inning(snip)

Wouldn't this be the same thing? I mean if they can take the lead before the 5th ends and win it then they should be able to take the lead in any other bottom half to win it.

illinibk
05-13-2004, 06:06 PM
but the box score on ESPN does not show Paulie with a HR and 5 RBI, so I don't think they are official yet.

Sportsline.com shows the HR and 5 RBI. ESPN is just a piece of crap.

ChiSox7
05-13-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
I have a copy of the 1997 rules, at least by that we'd win. 4.11(d) states a game is suspended if the visiting team scores and then the game gets rained out, but doesn't make any exception for the home team, meaning the game is over and we'd win.

This year's rule book

4.11(d) A called game ends at the moment the umpire terminates play.

There are a bunch of exceptions, but they all favor the home team.

If it is before 5 IP, obviously it is not an official game.

anewman35
05-13-2004, 06:08 PM

The rule, from MLB.com:

The score of a regulation game is the total number of runs scored by each team at the moment the game ends.

(d) A called game ends at the moment the umpire terminates play. EXCEPTION: If the game is called while an inning is in progress and before it is completed, the game becomes a SUSPENDED game in each of the following situations: (1) The visiting team has scored one or more runs to tie the score and the home team has not scored; (2) The visiting team has scored one or more runs to take the lead and the home team has not tied the score or retaken the lead

voodoochile
05-13-2004, 06:08 PM
ESPN doesn't update the box score until after every half inning. If you look at the score it does have the Sox up.

I noticed that they showed the Sox winning, but when the box score wasn't up to date, I didn't know if it was an every half inning thing or an unofficial thing.

Thanks for clarifying...

voodoochile
05-13-2004, 06:09 PM
The rule, from MLB.com:

The score of a regulation game is the total number of runs scored by each team at the moment the game ends.

(d) A called game ends at the moment the umpire terminates play. EXCEPTION: If the game is called while an inning is in progress and before it is completed, the game becomes a SUSPENDED game in each of the following situations: (1) The visiting team has scored one or more runs to tie the score and the home team has not scored; (2) The visiting team has scored one or more runs to take the lead and the home team has not tied the score or retaken the lead

So basically, we should all be rooting for more rain.

Nard
05-13-2004, 06:10 PM
CBS sportsline shows the last hit being PK's home run... no evidence of Valentin's AB.

MLB gameday shows Valentin's popup...

Hmm.... what's the official call?

Nard
05-13-2004, 06:11 PM

Talk about home field advantage. :) :gulp:

anewman35
05-13-2004, 06:12 PM

I have a bad feeling that more rain is the only way we're actually going to win this game.

bigdommer
05-13-2004, 06:27 PM
So I guess this would count as another 1-run victory. Man, the Sox are tough in these 1-run games.

Foulke You
05-13-2004, 06:32 PM
I have a bad feeling that more rain is the only way we're actually going to win this game.

There is no shame in weather aided victories! :D:

bigdommer
05-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Will someone please post a thread if this goes final? I am in Baltimore but the game isn't on TV. Thanks.

anewman35
05-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by bigdommer
Will someone please post a thread if this goes final? I am in Baltimore but the game isn't on TV. Thanks.

They just said on Fox Sports Net that they still think they're going to get it in, they're going to wait at least another half hour.

RAIN MORE!

eurotrash35
05-13-2004, 07:01 PM
The "rain delay" graphic got taken off FSN.

SD Scott 7
05-13-2004, 07:04 PM
they just took the tarp off the field

eurotrash35
05-13-2004, 07:05 PM
back up now :-/

Viva Magglio
05-13-2004, 07:10 PM
No...they're going to resume shortly. :angry:

StockdaleForVeep
05-13-2004, 07:11 PM
maybe we should hope for more rain, bad enough we lost once already today.

SoxxoS
05-13-2004, 07:14 PM
This is really messing up my psyche...this rain delay.

We go from basically a win...to having to go back out on the field. It's like one of those "the best we can do is tie" feelings.

SD Scott 7
05-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Crap.....we're about to play. I was just getting into Fox Sports' rain delay theater about Chris Chelios.