PDA

View Full Version : **Unofficial Felix Diaz Thread**

jlh0023
05-13-2004, 05:23 PM
I've seen all of Diaz's stats, and am by those means a big fan of his, but i'm not familiar with his specific style.

For those of you who have seen him pitch, what kind of stuff does he have.....

Tekijawa
05-13-2004, 05:41 PM
so good that only Raffy Palmero can hit him!

Hondo
05-13-2004, 05:46 PM
Through 3 innings:

32 pitches-21 strikes

No BB

I can't get the game here but it appears that he's doing pretty well, sans Raffy HR.

Can anyone give us an idea on how he looks? Who does he pitch like? Does he work fast?

Mots09
05-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Like I have been screaming for some weeks now I am so happy they brought him up. He is about 5 times better than Danny Wrong, and he has a youthful spirit about him! And on top of all of that HE THROWS STRIKES!

Unregistered
05-13-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
Through 3 innings:

32 pitches-21 strikes

No BB

I can't get the game here but it appears that he's doing pretty well, sans Raffy HR.

Can anyone give us an idea on how he looks? Who does he pitch like? Does he work fast? He works fast AND he's getting ahead in the count on most of the hitters he's faced so far... Looks real solid.

SoxxoS
05-13-2004, 06:06 PM
2 HR's given up, I hope he isn't a gopher ball guy...

Hold him right there Felix. We aren't going to score any more runs for you.

bobj4400
05-13-2004, 06:07 PM
Anybody going to the game tomorrow night?

CWSGuy406
05-13-2004, 06:10 PM
Three homers given up by mr Diaz. Come on Felix.

StepsInSC
05-13-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Mots09
Like I have been screaming for some weeks now I am so happy they brought him up. He is about 5 times better than Danny Wrong, and he has a youthful spirit about him! And on top of all of that HE THROWS STRIKES!

You sure jinxed the hell out of that now didn't you?

hold2dibber
05-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Mots09

Good Lord, don't you understand the concept of jinxing someone?!?!?!! I sure as heck wouldn't want you in the dugout if I was throwing a no hitter. :D:

SoxxoS
05-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Paging Jon Rauch or Arnie Munoz....Rauch or Munoz...

WSox8404
05-13-2004, 06:16 PM
Hey Danny where did you get that great tan?

Kadafi311
05-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Well, at least he's not prone to the long ball.

Baby Fisk
05-13-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404
Hey Danny where did you get that great tan?

LMAO! :D:

balboner
05-13-2004, 06:21 PM
I was very unimpressed with Diaz. The Orioles were crushing the ball right as Sox defenders for the most part. I thought his slider would be much better. Yes, he's better than Danny Wright. However, that's not good enough in the majors. KW needs to make a trade soon.

Hondo
05-13-2004, 06:21 PM
If you take away those four homeruns this guy would still be in and pitching a hell of a game :D:

ahhhh.... :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

markp8867
05-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Felix Diaz...your plane is now boarding! LOL Seriously though, I hope he can shake this off and do a better job next time. Perhaps he would be best used in the bullpen for one or two innings.

SoxxoS
05-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by balboner
I was very unimpressed with Diaz. The Orioles were crushing the ball right as Sox defenders for the most part. I thought his slider would be much better. Yes, he's better than Danny Wright. However, that's not good enough in the majors. KW needs to make a trade soon.

Or we need to see if Cotts can start. He has proved he can get ML guys out, at least.

Paulwny
05-13-2004, 06:23 PM
Good minor league numbers never mean you'll be a mlb player.
These numbers were created against minor league players.
It always been and always be a crap shoot.

chisoxfan79
05-13-2004, 06:25 PM
The scouting report I read in Baseball America handbook about Diaz was accurate Straight fastball ,average slider, average changeup. All I saw was a straight BP fastball and changeups left up in the zone.

hold2dibber
05-13-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

I think people who have actually crunched the numbers will disagree; there's a decent correlation between minor league success and MLB success - but it's certainly not a slam dunk, sure thing that someone who excels in the minors will do so in the majors.

thepaulbowski
05-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by balboner

You can't base anything off a guys first start in the majors. Give him a few starts, then you can figure out if he's ready.

bigdommer
05-13-2004, 07:18 PM
I agree, can't judge him off of one performance. You have to factor in a lot of things: MLB debut, young, 2nd game of a doubleheader, good offensive opponent, and the weather. Not excuses, just factors. Also, because of the impending weather, this game was being pushed along quickly.

Outside of a trade or maybe Cotts, this guy is our best option.

LongLiveFisk
05-13-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Or we need to see if Cotts can start. He has proved he can get ML guys out, at least.

This is what I was thinking all along. And hey, then we'll actually have ROOM for Kelly Wunsch in the pen. I don't think it's a bad idea at all, considering our other alternatives.

Paulwny
05-13-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I think people who have actually crunched the numbers will disagree; there's a decent correlation between minor league success and MLB success - but it's certainly not a slam dunk, sure thing that someone who excels in the minors will do so in the majors.

I think it's similar to drilling for oil, many,many misses and then a gusher.
Somebody crunhed Drew Henson's no's for the yankmees and they paid him $10 mil out of college. I wonder if that cruncher is still on King George's payroll.

Paulwny
05-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Anyone notice that ( I think), Tues. the Mets started a minor league pitcher with a 2.9 era, our old buddy James Baldwin, he lasted 2 innings.

owensmouth
05-13-2004, 09:30 PM
I think Diaz will do fine. He works quick, throws strikes. He was fine through four innings. He's got to learn to shake off a setback, every major leaguer does.

MRKARNO
05-13-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
I think Diaz will do fine. He works quick, throws strikes. He was fine through four innings. He's got to learn to shake off a setback, every major leaguer does.

He made 4 mistakes and that cost him. His overall pitching ability looked pretty good and he either just lost it from being exhausted from all of the travel/transition to the big leagues or he plain old made 4 mistakes. He does not have a reputation for being prone to the long ball, so I think he'll settle down and provide some quality pitching for us.

SEALgep
05-13-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
He made 4 mistakes and that cost him. His overall pitching ability looked pretty good and he either just lost it from being exhausted from all of the travel/transition to the big leagues or he plain old made 4 mistakes. He does not have a reputation for being prone to the long ball, so I think he'll settle down and provide some quality pitching for us. I agree, there are several factors that could have led to a so-so outing, and being tired is certainly a partial reason IMO. I expect him to do better his next outings. And one of the homeruns and arguably two of them were pretty decent pitches with really good swings put on them. Mora's was just a good swing the other way, and it happened to go out.

MRKARNO
05-13-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I agree, there are several factors that could have led to a so-so outing, and being tired is certainly a partial reason IMO. I expect him to do better his next outings. And one of the homeruns and arguably two of them were pretty decent pitches with really good swings put on them. Mora's was just a good swing the other way, and it happened to go out.

Innings 1-4 I saw a pitcher who has a very bright future with this team. I Know it's hard to dismiss 3 home runs in an inning as a fluke thing, but I think it was just that. Some of his pitches he looked really good on and it's pretty cool that he has a different style than most of the other pitchers on our staff. He also has a lot of confidence in his pitches so that always helps.

batmanZoSo
05-13-2004, 10:08 PM
That was a pretty craptacular performance. For now, chalk it up to rookie jitters, but I hope he's not another mental-midget who makes stupid pitches when he's going well and gives up big homers because of it. He could be lights out next time, who knows. The important thing is Ozzie took him out at the right time and we won the game.

jlh0023
05-13-2004, 10:16 PM

By no means are all good minor league guys good in the majors.....but i think a more true statement would be that not all guys that have bad first starts in the majors, are bad pitchers.....patience is a great thing.

We made it out of that game with a W, so i'm happy, and i think overall, Diaz pitched alright, considering it was his first major league outing, and the O's have a good offense

ShoelessFred
05-13-2004, 10:23 PM
the first start never means jack squat.

Soxfest
05-13-2004, 11:06 PM
I am all for given this guy a few more chances.

Lip Man 1
05-13-2004, 11:32 PM
The question was asked 'how many more starts will he get?' Well if they could give Wright four starts then one would assume Diaz could get four.

The real question though is how many games are the Sox willing to risk losing because they don't have anyone competent in the 5th slot?

If this race is going to be as close as some of you are saying, that's running an awful risk.

Of course for right now the Sox don't have any viable options do they?

Perhaps if they can survive another month, Williams can get someone (or two...)

Lip

MRKARNO
05-13-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The question was asked 'how many more starts will he get?' Well if they could give Wright four starts then one would assume Diaz could get four.

The real question though is how many games are the Sox willing to risk losing because they don't have anyone competent in the 5th slot?

If this race is going to be as close as some of you are saying, that's running an awful risk.

Of course for right now the Sox don't have any viable options do they?

Perhaps if they can survive another month, Williams can get someone (or two...)

Lip

There are simply no deals to be made right now. I think Kenny Williams is working to make something happen but the other GMs in baseball are less eager to make a move so early in the season. The big moves hardly ever come before mid-June.

SSN721
05-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
There are simply no deals to be made right now. I think Kenny Williams is working to make something happen but the other GMs in baseball are less eager to make a move so early in the season. The big moves hardly ever come before mid-June.

Absolutely, not many teams can consider themselves out of the race at this point (except my beloved Expos) so it will be awfully hard for Kenny to pull the trigger on a deal that doesnt exist. I was at the game yesterday and would feel perfectly comfortable giving him another start. He had a horrible inning and still the team pulled out a win. I think Diaz is good enough to give us a chance to win and that is all I am looking for for a number 5. Hopefully he can help keep this team in the race to set ourselves up for another quality pitcher to trade for and take this division.

Paulwny
05-14-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by jlh0023
By no means are all good minor league guys good in the majors.....but i think a more true statement would be that not all guys that have bad first starts in the majors, are bad pitchers.....patience is a great thing.

We made it out of that game with a W, so i'm happy, and i think overall, Diaz pitched alright, considering it was his first major league outing, and the O's have a good offense

I never said that Diaz would never turn into a good mlb pitcher., or any other player with good minor league no's. I'm saying minor league no's are no guarantee and all the excitement over these numbers is premature.
Many players are signed few ever become mlb players.

sas1974
05-14-2004, 09:17 AM
I'm saying minor league no's are no guarantee and all the excitement over these numbers is premature.
Many players are signed few ever become mlb players.

I know this is the "Diaz Thread," but people also need to keep this fact in mind when young Mr. Reed arrives. Let's try not to crush him with our expectations.

Hangar18
05-14-2004, 10:04 AM
His mechanics were Great til the 5th inning, when they hit him
around, im sure they will notice. He was "falling" off the mound, toward his LEFT and his pitches were subsequently
Straightening out, being left over the plate, etc. It was VERY APPARENT, cant believe Olivo didnt notice it, because I noticed Immediately.

TheBull19
05-14-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
the first start never means jack squat.

When Wilson Alvarez's first start was a no-hitter against the O's I thought he might end up being decent.