PDA

View Full Version : What happens on Monday?

bigdommer
05-13-2004, 03:59 PM
With Garland getting pushed back a day because of the rainout and no offday in sight, Garland is projected to pitch on Monday at Cleveland on three days' rest. First, Garland struggles mightily against the Tribe. Second, knowing this information, why would Ozzie leave Jon out there to toss 122 pitches, in a game he was losing?

Jon pitched fairly well considering the situation, but when he hit the century mark as he started to fatigue in the 6th and 7th, there was nothing he could do to win this game. Only the offense had the chance to wake up from their slumber. If I was Ozzie, I would have put the game in my long guy's hand (Neal Cotts) an inning or two earlier and hope the offense scored some runs. I hope that this doesn't carry over to next week.

Any thoughts on this? Do you think they are going to push Jon back to Tuesday and bring someone else up to start? Do you think Diaz will throw less today and throw on short rest Monday?

rmusacch
05-13-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by bigdommer
With Garland getting pushed back a day because of the rainout and no offday in sight, Garland is projected to pitch on Monday at Cleveland on three days' rest. First, Garland struggles mightily against the Tribe. Second, knowing this information, why would Ozzie leave Jon out there to toss 122 pitches, in a game he was losing?

Jon pitched fairly well considering the situation, but when he hit the century mark as he started to fatigue in the 6th and 7th, there was nothing he could do to win this game. Only the offense had the chance to wake up from their slumber. If I was Ozzie, I would have put the game in my long guy's hand (Neal Cotts) an inning or two earlier and hope the offense scored some runs. I hope that this doesn't carry over to next week.

Any thoughts on this? Do you think they are going to push Jon back to Tuesday and bring someone else up to start? Do you think Diaz will throw less today and throw on short rest Monday?

Maybe Cotts gets a spot start.

Mickster
05-13-2004, 04:11 PM
Ozzie has repeatedly said that he will do whatever he can to get a win for his pitcher when they are pitching well. Prob kept him in hoping they would score some runs to get him the win for, actually, his "best" performance this year....

hold2dibber
05-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Good question. I've got to imagine that they'll bring somebody (Grilli or Rauch) up for a spot start or start Cotts if he doesn't need to pitch much over the next few days. I think it would be a mistake to bring Garland back on 3 days rest.

bennyw41
05-13-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Good question. I've got to imagine that they'll bring somebody (Grilli or Rauch) up for a spot start or start Cotts if he doesn't need to pitch much over the next few days. I think it would be a mistake to bring Garland back on 3 days rest.

I don't think they'd waste an option, or a roster move for one day.

jeremyb1
05-13-2004, 05:18 PM
I have no clue. I'd assumed Jon would pitch on short rest but I don't see how he can after throwing 122 pitches.

anewman35
05-13-2004, 09:07 PM
Hmm, I dunno if they want to do this, but maybe use Diaz on short rest? He didn't throw very many pitches...

misty60481
05-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Why not start Cotts if he starts to look like he is in trouble the bullpen should be well rested to take over unless we have trouble against Twins

duke of dorwood
05-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Its not wise to keep shuffling pitchers, the most dependant athletes on regular routines

MarqSox
05-13-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
I don't think they'd waste an option, or a roster move for one day.
It's happened before. If it means the difference between losing a game or giving yourself a chance to win, it's worth it.

SSN721
05-14-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
It's happened before. If it means the difference between losing a game or giving yourself a chance to win, it's worth it.

I agree, you play to win. I think it is worth wasting an option or roster move to get a win that day. If they start Cotts though, what happens if we need long releif over the course of the next week, it would make things kind of difficult if he ends up pitching 70-100 pitches. Would Cotts even be able to step in and have the endurance to start without a stint of starting in the minors to build up endurance?

voodoochile
05-14-2004, 07:03 AM
The Sox stomp into Cleveland 2 games up...

HomeFish
05-14-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by misty60481
Why not start Cotts if he starts to look like he is in trouble the bullpen should be well rested to take over unless we have trouble against Twins

"Unless"?

chisoxjk
05-14-2004, 10:56 AM
I would go with Diaz on short rest. He did not throw that many pitches, and a quick return might help him mentally.

That said, Ozzie should be quick to go to Cotts if it looks like Diaz is tiring or leaving pitches up in the zone.