PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Post game of the midgets thread

voodoochile
05-13-2004, 04:40 PM
Sox Lose 1-0

:angry: :angry: :angry: (one for every hit)

Sox fans, tell us how you feel...

ChiSox7
05-13-2004, 04:41 PM
No negativity please.

LongLiveFisk
05-13-2004, 04:42 PM
God, I HATE losing 1-0, especially after winning 15-0!!! Must we make every rookie look like Cy Young??!!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

voodoochile
05-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
No negativity please.

ChiSox7, is that you? Did someone steal your ID and computer? :D:

Procol Harum
No negativity please.

"Um, they sure do keep the lawns well-manicured around these parts" (he said as he whistled past the graveyard)

WSox8404
Hey Ozzie, I have an even better idea.......let PK lead off next game.

sas1974
05-13-2004, 04:44 PM
While that was painful, and all too common after a blow out, we'll be in good shape if we can snag Game 2. We'll be 1 game out and in position to grab first place this weekend against the Twinkies.

Nard
05-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Minnesota's awesome offense scored only one run against Seattle.

I think they should call their season quits after a pathetic effort like that.

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Who else is climbing aboard the "Bench Konerko" bandwagon?

It's time to make some big changes to this team before it is too late. Paulie needs to ride the pine. Same with Lee and Rowand. Uribe and Harris need to play every day at SS and 2B respectively. Put Frank at 1B. DH Valentin. Call up Reed. :angry:

Procol Harum
05-13-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
While that was painful, and all too common after a blow out, we'll be in good shape if we can grab Game 2. We'll be 1 game out and in position to grab first place this weekend against the Twinkies.

"In position" the operative part of that sentence. On the strength of the last three seasons, that's likely to be a tall order. But, here's hopin'!

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404
Hey Ozzie, I have an even better idea.......let PK lead off next game.

I have an even better idea than that. PK should lead off for Charlotte.

WSox8404
05-13-2004, 04:48 PM
I know how we string wins together......sit our best hitter after a big win.....that is the best way to get wins. I mean seriously why the hell is Mags sitting? He can't be tired. We had tons of days off recently. Lee and Konerko, your planes are ready. Hop on in and take on off and don't come on back.

Procol Harum
05-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo

At what-- $8 mill a year? Unfortunately for us, that ain't likely to happen. :(:

Frater Perdurabo

Batting second for Charlotte and playing left field...Carlos Lee.
Batting third and playing center for the Knights...Aaron Rowand.

THE_HOOTER
I really enjoyed Ordonez and his 14 million dollar salary sitting on the bench after a day off Monday and last night.

Carlos Lee and Konerko are killing this offense.

Letting Konerko hit, and pinch hitting for Uribe was very Bevington-like.

The lovefest with Ozzie is going to end if he makes horrible decisions like today.

Even though he had 2 hits, Gload does not sniff the 3rd spot.

Why put Lee at #2, and move Valentin to #5?

Is there something wrong with Uribe?

If Jerry Manuel pulled some of this, everyone would be going crazy.

Bad game Ozzie.

chidonez
05-13-2004, 04:50 PM
I still don't get it. The bats seem to go cold all at once, or hot all at once. What gives? Is it the type of pitcher? Anyone see a pattern? Did they lack a decent scouting report on this rookie?

ChiSox7
Sox Score 15 runs, only give up 1, win 1 of 2.
Twins score 12 runs, give up 9, and win all three.

I think that is the difference between our teams.

BUt NOT gonna be negative. We'll bounce back and then win 20 in a row.

Uncle_Patrick
On the bright side, Garland seemed to give a good (but wasted) performance.

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2004, 04:51 PM

Although they would refuse to be sent down, Jon Garland should punch each one of them in the face and send them to the 15-day DL so they can be assigned for rehab in AAA. :angry:

OurBitchinMinny
05-13-2004, 04:51 PM

Third is way too high for that bum rowand. Charlotte has some decent hitter, dont want rowand taking ABS away. Put him 7 or 8. He might be able to bat 3rd for kannapolis. ROWAND YOU SUCK!!!

Procol Harum
05-13-2004, 04:52 PM
BUt NOT gonna be negative. We'll bounce back and then win 20 in a row.

:o: :o: :o: :o: :o: :o: :o: :o:

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
At what-- $8 mill a year? Unfortunately for us, that ain't likely to happen. :(:

They can send him to Charlotte on a rehab assignment after a nice stint on the DL due to a bloody nose courtesy of a cue ball in a tube sock. :angry:

balboner
05-13-2004, 04:53 PM
I agree that Ozzie's managing today was as bad as there has been on the Southside in a long time. The line-up he went with was bad, not having Maggs bat for Konerko instead of Uribe is a terrible decision, and I even have a problem with him letting Garland throw over 120 pitches when he could have brought in Cotts for him during the 7th.

Procol Harum
05-13-2004, 04:53 PM
They can send him to Charlotte on a rehab assignment after a nice stint on the DL due to a bloody nose courtesy of a cue ball in a tube sock. :angry:

LOL!

habibharu
05-13-2004, 04:55 PM
is there anything else that you could expect after a 15-0 game? :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :corpseball :fireozzie

The_Floridian
05-13-2004, 04:55 PM
So that was Ozzie's first bad game as manager. Too much tinkering.

If we come back and win the second game (and thus the series) I'll chalk it up as a learning experience for a rookie manager and say all is forgiven. After all, if someone had said we'd take two out of three from the O's in both series this season, I'd have taken that.

Of course, if we don't win game two... :angry:

Hangar18
05-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Who else is climbing aboard the "Bench Konerko" bandwagon?

It's time to make some big changes to this team before it is too late. Paulie needs to ride the pine. Same with Lee and Rowand. Uribe and Harris need to play every day at SS and 2B respectively. Put Frank at 1B. DH Valentin. Call up Reed. :angry:

Only way I'll climb aboard the Bench Konerko Wagon is if its running EXPRESS ........... to Charlotte. Just like last year, where his terrible at-bats started costing us Games, He needs to Grab-Some-Bench right now Before its TOO LATE. Someone here is keeping track of the "Games Shouldve Won" stat, but this was one of them. Not how we need to enter the Minn series

I like Fraders suggestions, bring Reed up .......

WSox8404
The only real problem I had with this game is WHY THE HELL WAS MAGS NOT PLAYING?!?!?!?! What is the reason for that. There is no reason. *** Ozzie?

THE_HOOTER
Is there any reason why we cannot have a manager for our team who uses common sense?

How long has it been--?

poorme
05-13-2004, 04:57 PM
The score said he was hurt with a sore toe or something...but he hoped to be better for the second game. Huh?

chidonez
Didn't Mags hurt his foot the other day?

jeremyb1
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
I really enjoyed Ordonez and his 14 million dollar salary sitting on the bench after a day off Monday and last night.

Carlos Lee and Konerko are killing this offense.

Letting Konerko hit, and pinch hitting for Uribe was very Bevington-like.

The lovefest with Ozzie is going to end if he makes horrible decisions like today.

Even though he had 2 hits, Gload does not sniff the 3rd spot.

Why put Lee at #2, and move Valentin to #5?

Is there something wrong with Uribe?

If Jerry Manuel pulled some of this, everyone would be going crazy.

Bad game Ozzie.

1) Maggs left the game early Tuesday after fouling a ball off his foot. Hawk and DJ reported he showed up late to the park today complaining of problems with his foot.

2) Juan Uribe is not a .370 hitter. He may be hitting .370 but that will not likely continue. You should still go with the hot bat but he hasn't been having quite so many 3 for 4 days lately. In my opinion he's falling back to earth. Konerko has had a bad two weeks and based solely on those 30 at bats he's a bad hitter and should be sent to AAA? People need to calm down a bit. He crushed the ball and had a good play made against him at least once today I'm not convinced he's that bad a choice to hit especially when it's a one run game, there's already one out, and he's a better power hitter than Uribe.

VaSoxfan
05-13-2004, 04:59 PM
The heck with that I'll take two out of three twice from Baltimore. They added a lot of hitting this offseason and that's it...their pitching blows. Cleveland can score a ton of runs on them but we get shut out by a AA pitcher? And the loss last week was a joke too...Dransfeldt who had no business being up here lets a third-out ball go through his legs and open the floodgates...

Then this ridiculous lineup today....combined with no intensity again...this team better get its head on straight and start playing ball every time out...not this garbage like we saw in Toronto or today, or the Twins who are arguably less talented than we are are going to run away with the division, starting this weekend.

D-it this type of game boils my blood....

habibharu
05-13-2004, 04:59 PM
this same crap is gonna happen the second game! they got some AAA guy goin! :angry: :angry: :angry:

OurBitchinMinny
05-13-2004, 05:02 PM
Lets give ozzie a bit of a break. Maggs toe is hurt and was apparently to hurt to play. He fouled a ball off of it on tuesday.

daveeym
05-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Ok, so you're going into your biggest series of the year this weekend against your division competition for the championship. You get an unlucky double header forced upon you by the unbalanced schedule that only gives you 1 home series against AL teams. Maggs is a bit sore, you have a rookie going in game 2. maybe some of his pinch hitting moves were questionable but i think the idea was you need to rest a few people today so you try to steal one with garland with a rag tag lineup and let him go as long as possible to conserve your bullpen since a rookie's going in game two and all the stops will be pulled out agains minny. Also load up the lineup to give the rookie support.

I think the strategy was correct.

infohawk
05-13-2004, 05:07 PM
I know some people are down on the decision to let PK hit and instead pinch-hit Magglio for Uribe. Remember that this game wasn't lost in the 9th inning. The Sox had 8 other innings to score at least one run and failed to do so. PK is struggling, but he is one the best fastball hitters on the team, and Julio features a fastball if my recollection is correct. That said, two observations: 1) Garland and Cotts pitched extremely well; 2) Carlos and PK are still struggling and our offense is inconsistent largely because of it.

I'm starting to believe that the answer to the lack of consistency offensively is to replace a couple of our sluggers with contact hitters. This team has been streaky since 2000. As you recall, they won the division in the first half and played around .500 ball in the second half. Their mediocre play extended into the playoffs that year. 2001-2003 saw terrible first halves followed by well-played second halves.

I still believe the Sox are basically a pretty good team. They are too often victims of their "built-in" flaws. The pitching and defense are good enough to win and when the offense is clicking they will go on long winning streaks. The problem is that we will sometimes have to bear through 15-0 victories followed by 1-0 losses. I love Carlos and PK. When they are hitting they are tremendous assetts to the team. Unfortunately they have established a pattern of inconsistency that must be addressed. I hope when KW makes some moves that he addresses the consistency issue. I'd like to get another pitcher or two, but I really believe that the larger problem at this point is one of consistency.

Guys like Carlos and PK are valuable to a team as "run-producers" anchoring a line-up. We just have an overabundance of those type of guys.

THE_HOOTER
05-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
1) Maggs left the game early Tuesday after fouling a ball off his foot. Hawk and DJ reported he showed up late to the park today complaining of problems with his foot.

2) Juan Uribe is not a .370 hitter. He may be hitting .370 but that will not likely continue. You should still go with the hot bat but he hasn't been having quite so many 3 for 4 days lately. In my opinion he's falling back to earth. Konerko has had a bad two weeks and based solely on those 30 at bats he's a bad hitter and should be sent to AAA? People need to calm down a bit. He crushed the ball and had a good play made against him at least once today I'm not convinced he's that bad a choice to hit especially when it's a one run game, there's already one out, and he's a better power hitter than Uribe.

If Ordonez can play game #2, he can play game #1. Guys who make 14 Million dollars do not sit out games due to a sore toe. Ask Michael Jordan how many games he could have sat out due to nagging injuries/soreness.

Juan Uribe is batting .370 or whatever the number is. MAybe he will come down to earth, but he hasnt yet. As a manager, your job is to give the team it's best chances to succeed and win. While Ozzie may have breathed life into a horrible clubhouse, you cannot defend the bad decisions he made today--they are bush league mistakes.

Putting Uribe #7, and having Lee batting #2 is a hunch--Manuel did this regularly.

Putting Gload #3 is a hunch--he had 2 hits, but it was not the right decision.

jackbrohamer
05-13-2004, 05:09 PM
[i] Konerko has had a bad two weeks and based solely on those 30 at bats he's a bad hitter and should be sent to AAA? People need to calm down a bit. He crushed the ball and had a good play made against him at least once today I'm not convinced he's that bad a choice to hit especially when it's a one run game, there's already one out, and he's a better power hitter than Uribe. [/B]

I was basing it more on his 2003 stats, when he hit .181 in May; .098 in June; and .197 in September. The guy either has a physical problem or is a total headcase.

stillz
05-13-2004, 05:09 PM
Lee and Konerko suck. They get paid a lot of $$ to hit, and they're stuck at .230 in mid-may?? What a joke.

I'll be sure to say a prayer for poor Magglio's toe.

Nice game Jon. Bad managing, Ozzie.

SoxxoS
05-13-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Konerko has had a bad two weeks and based solely on those 30 at bats he's a bad hitter and should be sent to AAA? People need to calm down a bit. He crushed the ball and had a good play made against him at least once today I'm not convinced he's that bad a choice to hit especially when it's a one run game, there's already one out, and he's a better power hitter than Uribe.

It's not two weeks. It's coming up on 2 years . He hasn't hit the ball like he is "supposed" to since the 2002 all-star break.

If you are going to use small sample size, Uribe has 4 homers and Paulie has 5...not exactly an alarming difference.

I don't care who it is...if you are going to pinch hit for someone in an inning, it can't be the guy who is leading the A.L. in hitting! Whether or not he is "coming back to earth" is a moot point.

mdep524
05-13-2004, 05:18 PM
Huh. I didn't realize we were playing the 2003 Detroit Tigers today. Let's see, we lost 1-0 to rookie pitchers last year, and we did the same today. But wait, Jerry "Wake me up when I'm fired" Manuel is gone, so the problem must still be on the team. Hmmm, wonder what it could be........

:walnuts :caballo
Wh-wh-why are you looking at us like that? We're just in slumps, remember?

And Ozzie- pinch hiting for hot hitting Uribe but not 0-for-May Konerko??

:hawk
Your what hurts??

Overall a pure and utter disgrace. :angry: :angry:

mdep524
05-13-2004, 05:21 PM
Sox Score 15 runs, only give up 1, win 1 of 2.
Twins score 12 runs, give up 9, and win all three.

I think that is the difference between our teams.

This is so telling. How pathetic. :(:

jlh0023
05-13-2004, 05:25 PM
I would much rather lose 1-0 than 10-9. I am not worried about our offense in the long run, in fact i am quite confident....plus we have always done poorly against rookies.

That being said it is good to see a good game out of our pitching staff, especially Garland, and Cotts. I'm glad we can hold em to 1 most of all.

white sox bill
05-13-2004, 05:42 PM
ugly loss--man was that bad. Didn't know Roger Clemons pitched for O's. Too bad we couda used some of those 15 runs from the other PM

MRKARNO
05-13-2004, 05:45 PM
I'm worried if we don't split the DH. It's really hard to sweep a DH so if we split it, no matter how it gets done I really dont care

Lip Man 1
05-13-2004, 05:49 PM
Very, very hard to stomach losing a 1-0 game to a rookie pitcher (of course we've seen that before haven't we???) Adding insult to injury...the Twins win a game 1-0.

Keep your fingers crossed in game two, I wouldn't want the team to be two games behind the Twins starting that big series.

By the way the Sox have lost their last two one run games so that area perhaps is starting to even themselves out.

Sox have lost 5 of their last 7, seems to be the pattern for May. can't explain why...

Lip

maurice
05-13-2004, 06:23 PM
The entire offense (except for Gload) sucked in Game 1, but CLee is 2-for-2 so far in Game 2. I say, keep him in the two hole and let him work his way out of his slump. Remember what he did in that spot last season.

BKozi
05-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Yeah...send Konerko and Lee down...they suck...there's no chance that they'll do anything in game 2...

Nard
05-13-2004, 06:47 PM
Gotta love the PK!!

voodoochile
05-13-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Nard
Gotta love the PK!!

Okay, that belongs in the next game thread... (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33272)

So this one is now closed...