PDA

View Full Version : Maggs out, Konerko in

valposoxfan
05-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Maggs out of the lineup in game one, Konerko in. Did Ozzie give in to PK's complaining and stick him in the lineup???

DaveIsHere
05-13-2004, 11:56 AM
what is the lineup...who is in RF??

CHISOXFAN13
05-13-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
Maggs out of the lineup in game one, Konerko in. Did Ozzie give in to PK's complaining and stick him in the lineup???

I have to be honest with you. I hope Ozzie finds a way to rest several of the regulars today.

We need a fresh squad for this weekend.

I'm assuming Gload is playing right?

sas1974
05-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by valposoxfan

I can't see Ozzie giving in to anyone's complaining. And for the record, I didn't see anywhere that Paulie was complaining. The quote I saw was:

"It bothers me when I sit when I'm healthy ... well, not healthy, but able to play,'' Konerko said. "I also know that [Tuesday] I couldn't play; there was no way I could do it. When you do that, you allow something like [losing your spot] to happen. As far as lineups, I just do what [Guillen] says. ''

chidonez
05-13-2004, 12:02 PM
I don't see a problem with it. They have a long weekend coming up and the double-header today. Give the man a little rest before the storm, and don't be surprised if Uribe takes a turn at first over the weekend.

valposoxfan
05-13-2004, 12:38 PM
Gload in right, Perez in center, Uribe at third, PK at first

wdelaney72
05-13-2004, 12:42 PM
I would have stuck with the planned lineup for the first game, and figured out the 2nd game lineup based on if the guys in the first game are productive. Rest my ass, they just had a day off on Monday.

These guys should be performing, or riding the pine.

SoxxoS
05-13-2004, 12:43 PM
I have a problem with it when you are sitting a guy on a hot streak...Maggs...for 1 for May Konerko. Actually, I have a big problem with it.

Cal Ripken played over 2,000 games in a row. It's baseball. These guys should be "fresh" all the damn time.

:chunks

pjthesox13
05-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I have a problem with it when you are sitting a guy on a hot streak...Maggs...for 1 for May Konerko. Actually, I have a big problem with it.

Cal Ripken played over 2,000 games in a row. It's baseball. These guys should be "fresh" all the damn time.

I agree, Maggs is just started to heat up let's not sit him now!

But maybe he'll come in through half of the 1st game or something.

The_Floridian
05-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Whoa whoa whoa, calm down.

1) Last time we had a doubleheader, Ozzie sat several regulars in an effort to get everyone a chance to start. That's smart.

2) We are facing a guy who is making his FIRST MAJOR LEAGUE START in Game 1. I think we'll live without Maggs.

3) We have a guy making his FIRST MAJOR LEAGUE START for US in game 2. Wouldn't you rather have your top lineup in for the game with the rookie than for the game with Garland?

4) Ozzie is NOT starting Konerko for Maggs. That's ridiculous. Konerko is our regular first baseman. Maggs is our right fielder. Therefore, Ozzie is starting Ross Gload for Magglio. Not Konerko.

Yeah yeah yeah...I know that we could put Ross at first for Konerko since he's hitting crap, but he's not going to break out of the slump any sooner if we sit him out and Make Gload the regular starter.

So Magglio sits one game in a doubleheader. A game in which we are facing a rookie. A game on a day when he will still get to start a second game.

What's the big deal?

CHISOXFAN13
05-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Since when does one game make a hot streak. Maggs was garbage in Toronto.

It's not like he isn't going to play today.

Brian26
05-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by chidonez
I don't see a problem with it. They have a long weekend coming up and the double-header today. Give the man a little rest before the storm, and don't be surprised if Uribe takes a turn at first over the weekend.

Why in the heck would they let Uribe play first instead of Frank?

Iwritecode
05-13-2004, 01:14 PM
I just read on another MB that it's been reported that Maggs is out because of a sore toe.

Take it for what it's worth...

pjthesox13
05-13-2004, 01:17 PM
I see Ozz did move Lee to the two hole though. Maybe that can get his bat going. I still think Uribe needs to be moved up in the lineup though or is Ozz just trying to get the bottom half going like the top?

Hokiesox
05-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I just read on another MB that it's been reported that Maggs is out because of a sore toe.

Sore toe? Ouchie!

Ripken played with sprained ankles!

CHISOXFAN13
05-13-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Good call. Rowand entered Tuesday's game in the seventh for Maggs and he was definitely showing a small limp.

In that case, it's definitely a good decision.

batmanZoSo
05-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by The_Floridian
Whoa whoa whoa, calm down.

1) Last time we had a doubleheader, Ozzie sat several regulars in an effort to get everyone a chance to start. That's smart.

2) We are facing a guy who is making his FIRST MAJOR LEAGUE START in Game 1. I think we'll live without Maggs.

3) We have a guy making his FIRST MAJOR LEAGUE START for US in game 2. Wouldn't you rather have your top lineup in for the game with the rookie than for the game with Garland?

4) Ozzie is NOT starting Konerko for Maggs. That's ridiculous. Konerko is our regular first baseman. Maggs is our right fielder. Therefore, Ozzie is starting Ross Gload for Magglio. Not Konerko.

Yeah yeah yeah...I know that we could put Ross at first for Konerko since he's hitting crap, but he's not going to break out of the slump any sooner if we sit him out and Make Gload the regular starter.

So Magglio sits one game in a doubleheader. A game in which we are facing a rookie. A game on a day when he will still get to start a second game.

What's the big deal?

That's true. I'm totally against Konerko and Lee being in there right now, but Maggs can pinch hit in game 1 if necessary. We should pound this rookie, no questions asked. And in game 2 we should have our main lineup for Diaz. I want a sweep.

Iwritecode
05-13-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Good call. Rowand entered Tuesday's game in the seventh for Maggs and he was definitely showing a small limp.

In that case, it's definitely a good decision.

I just remembered reading something in one of the post-game stories (Cubune, Cub-times, ???...) that he was removed because he fouled a ball off his toe in one of his AB's...

SEALgep
05-13-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Sore toe? Ouchie!

Ripken played with sprained ankles! Ripken is a special player in the sense he would have played with a broken neck if a doctor could somehow allow it. Maggs will probably be in game 2, so I don't see this as a problem.

maurice
05-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Given the scouting reports posted here, Konerko matches up pretty well with the kid starting the first game. Let's knock him out early and wear out their pen for the second game

The_Floridian
05-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Sore toe? Ouchie!

Ripken played with sprained ankles!

:farmer

"Well let me tell you, I remember back when we played without feet. And if a guy grew new feet, you threw at his head."

SpringfldFan
05-13-2004, 01:53 PM
IMO:

SoxxoS
05-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Since when does one game make a hot streak. Maggs was garbage in Toronto.

It's not like he isn't going to play today.

Since when does the series before indicate future failures. He killed the ball Tuesday. This is how "hot streaks" start.

chidonez
05-13-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Why in the heck would they let Uribe play first instead of Frank?

Last night on AM 1000, there was speculation that Oz is still worried about Frank's arm, which was apparently injured during Spring training. However, they did say that Frank will definately get time at first, if only during the interleague games.

As for Uribe, it's a matter of playing the hot guys -- something that Oz knows about from his time in Florida -- and Oz has mentioned that he's reluctant to move Harris right now. It's just another way to get him in the lineup. Of course, we could see Uribe play some center, which he has done I believe once before. Who knows. I have heard all of these scenarios suggested elsewhere, which doesn't make them more plausible, but bears credence to the suggestion.