PDA

View Full Version : Cameron for Konerko 6 years later

Irishsox1
05-13-2004, 11:47 AM
When Mike Cameron was traded for Paulie, I was very upset. I felt that Mike was starting to turn the corner and was going to be a very exciting player. Since then, both have been All-Stars once, Cameron has 2 gold gloves, Cameron has a ton of strike outs, a lot more stolen bases, and about 30 less homeruns. Paulie on the other hand has had some of the hottest and coldest stretches I have ever seen.

I still feel 6 years later that the trade was pretty even, but that I would rather have Mike Cameron in center field that Paulie at first base.

MarqSox
05-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
When Mike Cameron was traded for Paulie, I was very upset. I felt that Mike was starting to turn the corner and was going to be a very exciting player. Since then, both have been All-Stars once, Cameron has 2 gold gloves, Cameron has a ton of strike outs, a lot more stolen bases, and about 30 less homeruns. Paulie on the other hand has had some of the hottest and coldest stretches I have ever seen.

I still feel 6 years later that the trade was pretty even, but that I would rather have Mike Cameron in center field that Paulie at first base.
I think that's a pretty fair assessment of the trade. Let's not overlook, however, the big impact Paulie had on the 2000 division champion team an impact I'm not convinced Cameron would have had. We probably still would have won the divison, but it wouldn't have been as easy.

poorme
05-13-2004, 12:00 PM
There are many variables involved, but Cameron will go down in history as a better player than Konerko. I liked the deal at the time...

bobj4400
05-13-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I think that's a pretty fair assessment of the trade. Let's not overlook, however, the big impact Paulie had on the 2000 division champion team an impact I'm not convinced Cameron would have had. We probably still would have won the divison, but it wouldn't have been as easy.

Cameron did play a big part in beating us in Game 1 of that playoff series though...a loss that I dont think we recovered from.

fquaye149
05-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by poorme
There are many variables involved, but Cameron will go down in history as a better player than Konerko. I liked the deal at the time...

the one knock on cameron is that he has never cracked .270. Not once. His Obp is moderate, but his OPS is poor compared to Konerko's. And if you want to talk hot/cold hitters, he might be up there with shawn green as one of the most extreme hot/cold hitters in baseball. . .

but his centerfield might be the best in baseball. . .so it's hard to say

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
the one knock on cameron is that he has never cracked .270. Not once. His Obp is moderate, but his OPS is poor compared to Konerko's. And if you want to talk hot/cold hitters, he might be up there with shawn green as one of the most extreme hot/cold hitters in baseball. . .

but his centerfield might be the best in baseball. . .so it's hard to say

Isn't it also true that Cameron's home/road splits are big, in that he hits much worse in Seattle than anywhere else? And remember, he had the four-homer game in Chicago a few years back as well.

This trade, IMHO, is among the worst the Sox every have made. You never, EVER trade a legitimate CF for a 1B, especially when you already have a HOF 1B!

iwannago
05-14-2004, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Isn't it also true that Cameron's home/road splits are big, in that he hits much worse in Seattle than anywhere else? And remember, he had the four-homer game in Chicago a few years back as well.

This trade, IMHO, is among the worst the Sox every have made. You never, EVER trade a legitimate CF for a 1B, especially when you already have a HOF 1B!

This is really a mute point. Cameron would have been a free agent and signed with someone else.

lowesox
05-14-2004, 01:29 AM
One thing to consider is, it's easy enough to go out and sign a moderate firstbaseman. Centerfielders, as we've learned over the last few years, are harder to find.

That said, it has been a pretty good trade for the sox. We have made a lot I'd love to have back. This one would be very low on that list.

HITMEN OF 77
05-14-2004, 03:12 AM
I'd take Konerko over Cameron any day of my life. Konerko is a better man to have in the club house than Cameron.

TheBull19
05-14-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
I'd take Konerko over Cameron any day of my life. Konerko is a better man to have in the club house than Cameron.

Yeah, he really brought that 116 win Seattle team down, they would have won at least 120 without his poor attitude. Compared to Konerko, who has criticized his teammates, esp. Thomas, to the media. I've never liked him since.

HITMEN OF 77
05-14-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by TheBull19
Yeah, he really brought that 116 win Seattle team down, they would have won at least 120 without his poor attitude. Compared to Konerko, who has criticized his teammates, esp. Thomas, to the media. I've never liked him since.

Maybe Frank took the stuff Paulie said to heart, no he hits again, Magic!

And I remember game 3 vs peattle, whoever that was bunted and stepped on home plate which should have been the 3rd out of the inning, but scored the winning run. That was BS.