PDA

View Full Version : More ESPN Power Ranking Garbage

bigdommer
05-13-2004, 09:13 AM
Hate to beat a dead horse but...the Sox are now 15th in ESPN's latest power rankings by 11 "experts".

Not that we are competing with them, but the Cubs are now 5th. Sure, there are 11 teams in MLB with better records than the Cubs, and the Cubs have played a majority of their games against sub .500 teams (Pittsburgh, Atlanta, NYM, Colorado, Arizona). And what have the Cubs done against teams over .500? 3-4 against Cincy, 2-2 against St. Louis, and 0-2 against LA.

Oh, did I mention Atlanta? 14-18, and they are ahead of the Sox. Philly, under .500 yet ahead of the Sox. Now you are probably thinking, well, the Sox are at least ahead of the Orioles, right? Guess again. Despite winning 3 out of 4 games against the O's, and beating their "ace" 15-0 on Monday, the Orioles are two spots ahead of the Sox.

The media's lack of the respect for the Sox gets me angry. But that will make it just that much sweeter when we stick it to them in the end.

Dadawg_77
05-13-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by bigdommer
Hate to beat a dead horse but...the Sox are now 15th in ESPN's latest power rankings by 11 "experts".

Not that we are competing with them, but the Cubs are now 5th. Sure, there are 11 teams in MLB with better records than the Cubs, and the Cubs have played a majority of their games against sub .500 teams (Pittsburgh, Atlanta, NYM, Colorado, Arizona). And what have the Cubs done against teams over .500? 3-4 against Cincy, 2-2 against St. Louis, and 0-2 against LA.

Oh, did I mention Atlanta? 14-18, and they are ahead of the Sox. Philly, under .500 yet ahead of the Sox. Now you are probably thinking, well, the Sox are at least ahead of the Orioles, right? Guess again. Despite winning 3 out of 4 games against the O's, and beating their "ace" 15-0 on Monday, the Orioles are two spots ahead of the Sox.

The media's lack of the respect for the Sox gets me angry. But that will make it just that much sweeter when we stick it to them in the end.

Hey it is still early and people perceptions are weighed more heavily then actual production at this point. If the current trend keeps up, the Sox will rise and Cube will fall. Just sit back and enjoy the ride, much to early about these things.

A.T. Money
05-13-2004, 09:38 AM
I like flying under the radar.

Let them get no respect. I hope it pisses the players off as much as it does us.

bigdommer
05-13-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
I like flying under the radar.

Let them get no respect. I hope it pisses the players off as much as it does us.

I agree. Even if we were 5 games up in the AL Central, we would get no respect, because it is a weak division.

Last year the Sox flew under the radar until they made trades and went on that huge win streak. Then, when the media hyped up that series with the Twins, they went in the tank. I would love nothing more than for the Sox to sweep the Twins and for no one to know about it.

I guess the only reason that the power rankings get to me is because I would like to see the Sox ranked 10 instead of 15.

Kadafi311
05-13-2004, 10:24 AM
I agree. Even if we were 5 games up in the AL Central, we would get no respect, because it is a weak division.

That is, in a nut shell, the explanation. The AL Central, and rightly so, is percieved as the weakest division in all of baseball. What pisses me off more than the opinion of 11 media jockeys is the fact that we aren't running away with this division every year.

quade36
05-13-2004, 10:25 AM
I still haven't been able to figure out the logic of ESPN power Rankings. Aren't the Braves 14-18? How are they ahead of a team who is 4.5 games better then them?

quade36
05-13-2004, 10:26 AM
check this ranking out

teamrankings.com\mlb

CHISOXFAN13
05-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by quade36
check this ranking out

teamrankings.com\mlb

These are a joke.

Houston 15th and Detroit 8th? Yeah, that makes sense.

I'm sure there is some stupid formula for calculating this garbage, but come on.

jabrch
05-13-2004, 11:30 AM
We did just get swept by the Jays - we deserved to drop in the rankings. but I agree - the ESPN Power Rankings are garbage.

jackbrohamer
05-13-2004, 11:59 AM
ESPN's entire web page on baseball is garbage, IMO. For a while the only thing I used it for was the gamecast feature, but mlb.com has a better one now. The writers they feature on that page are absolute fools.

FarWestChicago
05-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by bigdommer
Hate to beat a dead horse but...the Sox are now 15th in ESPN's latest power rankings by 11 "experts".Why do you bother with ESPN the Tabloid? Do you read the Star when you are in the checkout line at the grocery store, too? :smile: