PDA

View Full Version : While Sitting in Bleachers Tues Nite, Oriole Fan said something interesting...

Hangar18
05-13-2004, 08:36 AM
When I asked him a question. Ive actually seen this guy like 3 yrs in a row, hes originally from Baltimore and comes decked out in Oriole garb. Hes pretty cool. I saw him and asked him to Answer me honestly. Told him I watched the games over in Camden, and kept hearing the "OOOOO eeeee OOOOOOO"
recording on the PA over there......."whats up with that man?" asked Hangar.
"Hey man, we'll take what we can get", said the Oriole Fan.
"wait......so you never heard that before?" Remarked Hangar.
"first time Ive ever heard it, and I grew up there" admitted Oriole Fan.

Dadawg_77
05-13-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
When I asked him a question. Ive actually seen this guy like 3 yrs in a row, hes originally from Baltimore and comes decked out in Oriole garb. Hes pretty cool. I saw him and asked him to Answer me honestly. Told him I watched the games over in Camden, and kept hearing the "OOOOO eeeee OOOOOOO"
recording on the PA over there......."whats up with that man?"
I playfully asked. "Hey man, we'll take what we can get".
"wait......so you never heard that before?" "first time Ive ever heard it, and I grew up there"

So who said what? Sorry, I just couldn't follow the story there.

Baby Fisk
05-13-2004, 09:16 AM
The rabbi said his WHAT hurt?

Tekijawa
05-13-2004, 09:22 AM
I was at Camden Last year with my brother and when we heard it we both looked at each other... So it's been there for at least 2 years

Kadafi311
05-13-2004, 09:24 AM
It the OEO designated for a specific Oriole, or just a general OEO?

white sox bill
05-13-2004, 09:26 AM
Yes please clarify Hanger...BTW got a question just for you:

In the interst of being diplomatic like yourself, when a flub fan upon meeting him, IMMEADITLY starts the Sox suck, Fagglio, fans are ghetto boys, etc..we all know the act. I have a tendancy to redneck them right back with the usual rude taunts...do you also follow same protocol or are you the calm, cool collected type who can stand there, take it and very intelligently debuke everything they run past you without losing it? Which method works best?
Bill

Hangar18
05-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by white sox bill
Yes please clarify Hanger...BTW got a question just for you:

In the interst of being diplomatic like yourself, when a flub fan upon meeting him, IMMEADITLY starts the Sox suck, Fagglio, fans are ghetto boys, etc..we all know the act. I have a tendancy to redneck them right back with the usual rude taunts...do you also follow same protocol or are you the calm, cool collected type who can stand there, take it and very intelligently debuke everything they run past you without losing it? Which method works best?
Bill

Good Question Bill. As we all know (thru years of evidence) Cub fans are some of the dumbest fans out there. The best way to argue with them, is to use the One Thing SOX fans have on them ..........KNOWLEDGE.

Cub fans tend to regurgitate things that either Murph or Kiley tell them, or what the rest of the Media Imply. Attendance, Crime around Comiskey, and Fans running on field are Favorite Topics of the Media and PREDICTABLY, what cub fans always bring up when taunting Sox Fans. Be ready to Happily, and Matter-of-Factly dispute these "media facts" readily.

*sox suck* remind them we had the 2nd winningest record in baseball in the 1990's.
*cubs rule* remind them they havnt had 2 winning seasons in a row since 1972/Richard Nixon being in office
*black sox* remind them they also cheated the year after, but that story widely hidden
*crime around comiskey* direct them to city of chicago police statistics, they'll be very surprised
*fans run field* let them know how those 4 came from the cub game earlier that day
*we sell out every day* tell them you dont let the media tell you what to cheer for

These responses I call "Frat-Boy-Stoppers" because these responses can usually STOP an argument right there.

DaveIsHere
05-13-2004, 10:10 AM
The best thing is to let them rant, and like any arguement keep a normal volume of voice and calmly reiterate the facts as stated above, this works for everything, people are forced to listen because you are speaking calm and clear, use it in any arguement, brings their tone down too.

CHISOXFAN13
05-13-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Kadafi311
It the OEO designated for a specific Oriole, or just a general OEO?

OEO = OR EEE OLES

white sox bill
05-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Good Question Bill. As we all know (thru years of evidence) Cub fans are some of the dumbest fans out there. The best way to argue with them, is to use the One Thing SOX fans have on them ..........KNOWLEDGE.

Cub fans tend to regurgitate things that either Murph or Kiley tell them, or what the rest of the Media Imply. Attendance, Crime around Comiskey, and Fans running on field are Favorite Topics of the Media and PREDICTABLY, what cub fans always bring up when taunting Sox Fans. Be ready to Happily, and Matter-of-Factly dispute these "media facts" readily.

*sox suck* remind them we had the 2nd winningest record in baseball in the 1990's.
*cubs rule* remind them they havnt had 2 winning seasons in a row since 1972/Richard Nixon being in office
*black sox* remind them they also cheated the year after, but that story widely hidden
*crime around comiskey* direct them to city of chicago police statistics, they'll be very surprised
*fans run field* let them know how those 4 came from the cub game earlier that day
*we sell out every day* tell them you dont let the media tell you what to cheer for

These responses I call "Frat-Boy-Stoppers" because these responses can usually STOP an argument right there.

Right on Hanger, remeber one time a scrub fan brought up the 1919 black sox incident my reply was something like"Geez that was last millenium man, hey Julius Ceasar got assisinated in that millenium too, or aren't you over that either too?" End of that convo... :smile:

The Big Squirt
05-13-2004, 10:24 AM
OK what am I missing here with the 1920 Cubs? what is this hidden scandal?

Dadawg_77
05-13-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by The Big Squirt

I was rumored that the 1906 Cubs threw the series. Not sure about 1920.

Hangar18
05-13-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by white sox bill
Right on Hanger, remeber one time a scrub fan brought up the 1919 black sox incident my reply was something like"Geez that was last millenium man, hey Julius Ceasar got assisinated in that millenium too, or aren't you over that either too?" End of that convo... :smile:

love that julius caesar line.......Im gonna borrow that one heh heh.
My buddy, who is a cub fan, once remarked to me "why are sox fans a bunch of wise-cracking wise crackers?" we are a pretty funny and clever bunch .....

chidonez
05-13-2004, 10:46 AM
The "Oh we oh" chant derives from the Wizard of Oz, I believe. I heard it used when I played little league. I doubt Baltimore stole it from us.

The Big Squirt
05-13-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I was rumored that the 1906 Cubs threw the series. Not sure about 1920.

I know it is rumored that the 1919 WS was the THIRD one thrown. By then they were able to put it all together.

I have never heard of anything about 1920 though.

rcescato
05-13-2004, 12:14 PM

Also you need to include knowldge of their current team. Ask them what there starting lineup is. I had an arguement with a flub fan once. He complained to me that I knew an awful lot about the Cubs for not being a fan. I told him that I was a baseball fan. Also if I were to argue with one that you need to know your enemy to defeat him. He just looked at me like I was crazy. BTW the Sox are on ESPN on Monday against Cleveland.
My brother said its because it on the east coast time zone. Even so, at least they are showing them.
Rich

Iwritecode
05-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by chidonez
The "Oh we oh" chant derives from the Wizard of Oz, I believe. I heard it used when I played little league. I doubt Baltimore stole it from us.

IIRC, the actual line from the movie is:

"O-E-O, the old one"

steff
05-13-2004, 12:34 PM
recording on the PA over there......."whats up with that man?" asked Hangar.
"Hey man, we'll take what we can get", said the Oriole Fan.
"wait......so you never heard that before?" Remarked Hangar.
"first time Ive ever heard it, and I grew up there" admitted Oriole Fan.

Right Henry... which is why it's clearly heard during an O's playoff game in the mid 90's.

You're getting on my nerves.

steff
05-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
I was at Camden Last year with my brother and when we heard it we both looked at each other... So it's been there for at least 2 years

You lie. This is the first year...

DSpivack
05-13-2004, 01:55 PM
I believe the Cubs throwing the series is 1918 and not 1920. I used to have the link, but don't anymore, to a Sun-Times article I believe from last summer about the 1918 Red Sox-Cubs series being thrown by the boys in blue.

Clembasbal
05-13-2004, 02:29 PM

Just a footnote, I am a "FRAT BOY," and I love the White Sox. I take that to the heart, and I resent the comment. "FRAT-BOY" Stoppers would be like, running dry at a liqour store.

Anyway, as I mentioned like a month ago, who cares who stole what from us...we never get credit anyway. As long as we have fun at our park, then it is fine by me and that is all I ask for.

Hangar18
05-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by steff
Right Henry... which is why it's clearly heard during an O's playoff game in the mid 90's.

You're getting on my nerves.

I'll be sure to pass you this Oriole Fans email ........ call him
a Liar, not ME

steff
05-13-2004, 03:48 PM
I'll be sure to pass you this Oriole Fans email ........ call him
a Liar, not ME

I don't need it. I've been there about... 100 times since the time Albert was traded there and heard it with my own ears. You're the one that appears to be calling me - and others who have also said they heard it, on TV during an ESPN telecast no less, liars.

Wsoxmike59
05-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by The Big Squirt

The Cubs had a pitcher by the name of Claude Hendrix who was suspected of "fixing" games. Then Cubs President Wm. Veeck Sr. got wind of the scandal and benched Hendrix before his "shady" start could take place. An investigation followed and the lid was blown off about the 1919 World Series fix by several White Sox players. Below is an excerpt from an article I found at wichita.edu on the subject.

The 1919 World Series, it was discovered in grand jury hearings held in 1920, was thrown by several Chicago White Sox players. Eight players were indicted and then banned from baseball for throwing the series.

Hendrix, a pitcher for the Chicago Cubs, had been linked to the scandal because it was events surrounding the Aug. 31, 1920, game he was scheduled to pitch against the Philadelphia Phillies that led to the hearings. Cubs president Bill Veeck got phone calls and telegrams saying Detroit gamblers were betting heavily that the Phillies, ranked at the bottom of the league, would beat the Cubs, a top team. The Cubs switched their rotation and went with their better pitcher, Grover Cleveland Alexander, instead but still ended up losing the game.

A grand jury was convened in Chicago to investigate this particular incident, and during the course of the investigation the Black Sox scandal emerged. It never ruled on whether the Cubs/Phillies game was linked to gambling.

In the aftermath, federal judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis was appointed baseballís first commissioner and he banned the White Sox players from the sport.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-13-2004, 10:24 PM

I too am a FRATERNITY man and would appreciate if the stereotypes against people in greek orginizations would stop. my FRATERNITY does alot of good for the community (not a few weeks ago we raised almost $900 for a local food pantry).

Assuming all Fraternity brothers are drunk Orphans fans only interested in chicks and booze is a broad generaliztion that makes no sense. It's like saying all northsiders are orphans fans, all minorities are lazy and so on and so forth.

Stereotypes (big or small) do nothing but hold back the progress of society.

p.s. sure i love booze and chicks but when i go to a game i'm more interested in the game than the beer or the babes.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-13-2004, 10:30 PM
i realize no dirrect offense was meant by anybody, but i wanted to clear things up. I know no hate is meant by anybody....and we are all united by one cause.... GO SOX!!!

TommyJohn
05-13-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
I too am a FRATERNITY man and would appreciate if the stereotypes against people in greek orginizations would stop. my FRATERNITY does alot of good for the community (not a few weeks ago we raised almost $900 for a local food pantry).

Assuming all Fraternity brothers are drunk Orphans fans only interested in chicks and booze is a broad generaliztion that makes no sense. It's like saying all northsiders are orphans fans, all minorities are lazy and so on and so forth.

Stereotypes (big or small) do nothing but hold back the progress of society.

p.s. sure i love booze and chicks but when i go to a game i'm more interested in the game than the beer or the babes.

Well, I'm touched. I was a small geek in college, and ran into a
few frat boys who couldn't resist letting me know it in the most
utterly obnoxious way. So while your charitable works for man-
kind touch me deeply, you'll forgive me if I don't feel very warmly
towards frat boys and their ilk.

TommyJohn
05-13-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
IIRC, the actual line from the movie is:

"O-E-O, the old one"

Actually, according to Les Grobstein the chant is "Oh we loath,
the old one" a reference to the Wicked Witch of the West.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-13-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
Well, I'm touched. I was a small geek in college, and ran into a
few frat boys who couldn't resist letting me know it in the most
utterly obnoxious way. So while your charitable works for man-
kind touch me deeply, you'll forgive me if I don't feel very warmly
towards frat boys and their ilk.

I'm sorry you went through anything like that. At an engineering school most people are more content to sit in their rooms and play on their laptop. Social interaction is faltering deeply in these parts. We don't beat up nerds or anything, we stick to ourselves and if someone wants to join then so be it, if not we leave them alone.

Hating Fraternity members because maybe a few harrased you in college is just a broad generalization that again is just an example of poor judgement. I'm sure if we ever met at a game or something you'd realize that 90% of fraternity guys are not muscle bound jocks, but average guys.

Hangar18
05-14-2004, 10:11 AM
No ill will is aimed toward those who were in "fraternities".
When I say Frat-Boys at the Urinal, those are the guys that, though not in college anymore, still Look/Behave as if they were. hence the term. Before anyone says "I was a frat boy and I didnt act like cub fans in the bleachers" I understand that.
maybe i'll say "cubby frat boys"

joepoe
05-14-2004, 10:59 AM
I was at last Monday's game at Oriole Park with White Sox Wilkes and other Sox fans and every time they played "o-ee-o" we yelled "Magglio" at the top of our lungs. John Rooney heard it and mentioned it on the radio, we found out later.

BigFrankFan
05-14-2004, 06:13 PM
We've been doing the O-E-O since 2000, so w/out question they're copy cats.

What I want to know is what caused this to happen at the SOX?
Who's idea was it to start the chant from the Wizard of Oz & apply it to Maggs?

JohnBasedowYoda
05-15-2004, 10:46 PM
No ill will is aimed toward those who were in "fraternities".
When I say Frat-Boys at the Urinal, those are the guys that, though not in college anymore, still Look/Behave as if they were. hence the term. Before anyone says "I was a frat boy and I didnt act like cub fans in the bleachers" I understand that.
maybe i'll say "cubby frat boys"

thanks bro