PDA

View Full Version : 2-for-1 double-header?

Randar68
05-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Anyone hear Wills talking about 2-for-1 double header tonight on the radio? Is that true? Can you get into both games for the price of one? i thought I heard him say the seconod game was starting just 30 minutes after the firsy one ended...

PaleHoseGeorge
05-12-2004, 10:46 PM
All Sox doubleheaders are 2 for 1. The exception has been Boston where they've been playing Day/Night doubleheaders because they are too damned hungry for money to lose even one lousy home date's gate receipts. I believe the Lovable Losers have started doing this, too.

Who else is old enough to remember nearly every Sunday afternoon being a 2 for 1 daytime doubleheader? Practically every Sunday game in MLB was a doubleheader right through the 60's.

:gallas
"I'm such a marketing genius, I give 1/2-price discounts to my least-committed customers, the fans who walk up the day of the game because the weather is nice and they had nothing better to do."

Randar68
05-12-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
All Sox doubleheaders are 2 for 1. The exception has been Boston where they've been playing Day/Night doubleheaders because they are too damned hungry for money to lose even one lousy home date's gate receipts. I believe the Lovable Losers have started doing this, too.

Who else is old enough to remember nearly every Sunday afternoon being a 2 for 1 daytime doubleheader? Practically every Sunday game in MLB was a doubleheader right through the 60's.

"I'm such a marketing genius, I give 1/2-price discounts to my least-committed customers, the fans who walk up the day of the game because the weather is nice and they had nothing better to do."

looking like a sick day for me! :D:

Hondo
05-12-2004, 11:01 PM
So I was listening the the "Rain out" show on 1000 tonight with Willsy and Levine tonight when some schmuck called in to propose some trades.

It was either Willsy or Levine who made sure to say, "I'll listen if they benefit the other team." I.E.-No Danny Wright, Joe Borchard, Billy Koch for Freddy Garcia and Randy Winn type deals.

So this jackamahoney gives them these two gems

Ross Gload for Robin Ventura (not really bad so much as kinda spinning the wheels)

AND

Roy Halladay for Willie Harris, Kelly Wunsch and Cliff Pollitte.

CLAAAHHHHSICCCC!!!!

SEALgep
05-12-2004, 11:12 PM
I would rather keep Gload than to trade him for Ventura. What would even be the point of that? Halladay though, well that's another matter. I would like to keep Harris, but I'm not about to pass up a deal that could get us an ace pitcher.

Mohoney
05-13-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Anyone hear Wills talking about 2-for-1 double header tonight on the radio? Is that true? Can you get into both games for the price of one? i thought I heard him say the seconod game was starting just 30 minutes after the firsy one ended...

It's definitely 2 for 1 tomorrow. I was already going to Thursday's game, so I guess I get a freebie!

I'm also assuming that both games are Dollar Dog games, too.

Randar68
05-13-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Mohoney
It's definitely 2 for 1 tomorrow. I was already going to Thursday's game, so I guess I get a freebie!

I'm also assuming that both games are Dollar Dog games, too.

might have to roll me to the Red Line..."dozen dollar dog Thursday?"

mikef1331
05-13-2004, 03:17 AM
Unfortunately it looks like it's supposed to rain again for the double header. So, if you're gonna go to the game's bring a poncho.

batmanZoSo
05-13-2004, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Hondo

Roy Halladay for Willie Harris, Kelly Wunsch and Cliff Pollitte.

CLAAAHHHHSICCCC!!!!

There is no god.

valposoxfan
05-13-2004, 03:39 AM
What if you had season tickets for tomorrows game. Do you still get to see both games?

anewman35
05-13-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
What if you had season tickets for tomorrows game. Do you still get to see both games?

No, they'll track you down and kick you out half way through

Of course you do. These are the White Sox we're talking about, do they really want to make the stadium look even emptier by kicking people out?

patbooyah
05-13-2004, 07:42 AM
just for the record- if you paid for parking for the games last night you can redeem the card they threw on your dash for 16 bucks in comiskey cash.

damn rain.

SSN721
05-13-2004, 08:44 AM
Would be great if they got both games in today, would love spending the whole day and early evening in the ball park. So this would basically be like the doubleheader they had for Toronto 2 weeks ago?

hold2dibber
05-13-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I would rather keep Gload than to trade him for Ventura. What would even be the point of that? Halladay though, well that's another matter. I would like to keep Harris, but I'm not about to pass up a deal that could get us an ace pitcher.

Uh, dude - the whole point of the post is that the suggested Harris et al. for Halladay trade is entirely preposterous, ridiculous and impossible. Do you really think the Blue Jays would trade the Cy Young award winner for an unproven, slap hitting 2nd baseman and two garden variety, dime-a-dozen middle relievers? There's no deal "to pass up" because the Blue Jays wouldn't trade Danny Batista or Ted Lilly, let alone Halladay, for Harris, Wunsch and Politte. Sheesh.

Dadawg_77
05-13-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by valposoxfan

Yes, and, I think, you get three games for the price of two. I believe you can redeem your tickets for the rain out game for any other game.

Railsplitter
05-13-2004, 10:26 AM

Who else is old enough to remember nearly every Sunday afternoon being a 2 for 1 daytime doubleheader? Practically every Sunday game in MLB was a doubleheader right through the 6

I remember teams playing at least one DH per month in the seventies.

Itenrestingly, I kept the year books the Sox put out from 18-84 and the included schedules show few to no double headers. One day, I found a 1981 pocket schedule and turned up several double headers on it.

Now, was it a part of the settelement of the 1981 strike, or just the owners trying to get more money from parking revenues?

Dadawg_77
05-13-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
I remember teams playing at least one DH per month in the seventies.

Itenrestingly, I kept the year books the Sox put out from 18-84 and the included schedules show few to no double headers. One day, I found a 1981 pocket schedule and turned up several double headers on it.

Now, was it a part of the settelement of the 1981 strike, or just the owners trying to get more money from parking revenues?

It was apart of the CBA but not sure how hard owners fought to prevent it.

vegyrex
05-13-2004, 11:53 AM

From '69 to '73 that's about the only time my Aunt would take me.
Right after church we'd head into the city and stop off at the Horizon restaurant for breakfast and then head over to the Park.

Since she pasted away a month ago those memories are even more precious to me.

Hangar18
05-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by mikef1331
Unfortunately it looks like it's supposed to rain again for the double header. So, if you're gonna go to the game's bring a poncho.

Or if you have a Friend named Poncho, bring him along too :smile:

daveeym
05-13-2004, 12:06 PM

Oh come on now, you can't hold that against he scrubs and other sox, when all the games are sold out its pretty difficult to give the 2 for 1 doubleheader, you'll be 5-10,000 seats short

Paulwny
05-13-2004, 12:07 PM

Those Sundays are long gone.

DaveIsHere
05-13-2004, 12:10 PM
What tim eis the second game scheduled to start??

Hangar18
05-13-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
No, they'll track you down and kick you out half way through

Of course you do. These are the White Sox we're talking about, do they really want to make the stadium look even emptier by kicking people out?

This reminds me of an Incident on a very recent Homestand regarding the Usher Nazi's. I was with Kittle42 at the Yankee game that kept getting RainDelayed. Our seats were behind the sox dugout, a few rows back. Good Seats for sure. It started raining heavily, and we moved back a number of rows,
just underneath the ClubLevel Overhang. His sister and I went to get a beer, and on the way back, A Ticket-Nazi was asking him for his ticket, incredibly, even though there were like 400 or so people in the lower deck at this point. Kittle42, laughed and told her My seats are in this area ......... She looked at the Ticket and Told him he had to leave and go to his Seat .......
He mocked her and said ...."Ok, i'll go DOWN (emphasized Down)
to my seat!"
I laughed at him (as if I didnt know him) and Yelled "YEAH, Security kicked that guy back DOWN to his seat ! " It was pretty funny

Paulwny
05-13-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by DaveIsHere
What tim eis the second game scheduled to start??

It's usually 20 min after the 1st game ends.

rcescato
05-13-2004, 01:19 PM

When I was a kid in the 70's my Dad and I use to look at the schedule to pick out which games to go to. We always went to one Yankee game, 1 or 2 fireworks fridays, and last but not least a doubleheader. Those were the days. But the Sox sure did stink in the early 70's.
Rich