PDA

View Full Version : O's a Throwing a newbie at us

DaveIsHere
05-12-2004, 01:44 PM
The O's have someone from AA ball making their ML debut tonight you know what that means.....15 runs last night 0 tonight...oh well

Baby Fisk
05-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Can't wait -- our hitters are renowned for decimating newbie pitchers! Commence the rout!

DaveIsHere
05-12-2004, 01:48 PM
that is sarcasm right??

CHISOXFAN13
05-12-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by DaveIsHere
The O's have someone from AA ball making their ML debut tonight you know what that means.....15 runs last night 0 tonight...oh well

You don't even list the guy's name, yet you believe we will score zero times against him. Please.

I seem to recall this team blasting Yankees newcomer Jorge DePaula in the first week.

jabrch
05-12-2004, 01:51 PM
No doubt in my mind we will treat this guy the same way we treated DePaula. Here's to another Sox WINNER!

jabrch
05-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Any update on Tejada for today? That lineup scares me much less with Lopez playing SS.

pjthesox13
05-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Can't wait -- our hitters are renowned for decimating newbie pitchers! Commence the rout!

Let's not build up too much karma for when Diaz starts.

DaveIsHere
05-12-2004, 01:56 PM
sorry here you go:

Baltimore will try to take the second game of the series behind a surprising addition to the roster. Before Tuesday's game, the club placed left-hander Matt Riley on the disabled list and recalled Double-A Bowie right-hander Daniel Cabrera, who will be making his Major League debut.

Cabrera is a 6-foot-7, hard-throwing prospect who was impressive in his five outings with Bowie, going 0-1 with a 2.63 ERA and 35 strikeouts in 27 1/3 innings. He will oppose right-hander Jon Garland, a former No. 1 pick who is finally starting to pitch with consistency. He has not faced the Orioles since 2002.

ma_deuce
05-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk

that is sarcasm right??

That is the definition of sarcasm. Guess I better start :gulp: early.

Deuce

Baby Fisk
05-12-2004, 01:59 PM
that is sarcasm right??
Yep, comments posted here in teal are sarcastic, and comments in pink are pipe dreams. Don't know if other shades denote other stuff. Eg.:

I'll be thrilled if we can prevent this kid from throwing a no-hitter.

But of course, I'm expecting the Sox to score 20+ runs tonight en route to a 115-win season.

SSN721
05-12-2004, 01:59 PM

HomeFish is that you?

Kilroy
05-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
You don't even list the guy's name, yet you believe we will score zero times against him. Please.

Not only are we facing a rookie call-up, we're coming off a 15 run explosion.

The Sox are famous for making rookie pitchers look great, and going to sleep after a game like last night.

So look for the big turd from the Sox tonight.

Randar68
05-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13

I seem to recall this team blasting Yankees newcomer Jorge DePaula in the first week.

Cabrera has 35 K's and 12 BB's and only 11 H's against in 27.1 IP so far in AA in 5 starts. Work counts, wear himout mentally and physically, and then whoop on the bullpen.

He's a big kid, 6'7" and hard-throwing, sitting consistently in the mid 90's. He was BA's #3 prospect for Baltimore in 2003. He's only slightly more than one full season removed from Rookie ball.

DaveIsHere
05-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
HomeFish is that you?

Who is Homefish??

bigdommer
05-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Cabrera is a big guy, like 6'7" and throws hard with a big slurve and change. John Maine has made more progress in the O's organization, but for some reason Cabrera got the call.

He was 0-1 in 5 starts for AA Bowie, but only a 2.30 ERA. He doesn't give up many hits, but he will walk or hit a guy at least once every other inning. On the other hand, he strikes out more one guy an inning. In his 5 starts, he has only averaged 5 1/3 innings per.

My thoughts: if the Sox stay patient and selective, Cabrera's debut should be short. He will probably try to contain his control problem by pumping early fastballs. If he gets ahead of the Sox hitters, it could be a long night. None of the Sox hitters have seen his offspeed stuff, so counts 0-2 and 1-2 could be dangerous.

Baby Fisk
05-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Who is Homefish??
Sorry, you are new and getting twisted every-which-way by the rules & idiosyncracies of folks who have been around for a while. I'm not even sure who or what a Homefish is. Don't be discouraged. Stick around and soon you'll be as well-informed, loopy and/or bitter as the rest of us! :D:

HomeFish
05-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Who is Homefish??

I believe that would be me.

Deadguy
05-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Are we conceding the game 5 hours before game time?

Tonight's Lineup:
1. Konerko - C (show off his versatility and speed to other GMs)
2. Alomar - 1B
3. Rowand - CF
4. Harris - 2B (our hottest hitter)
5. Gload - DH
6. Valentin - SS
7. Crede - 3B
8. Perez - RF
9. Burke - LF

:corpseball

elrod
05-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Only 5 starts in Bowie? This guy is barely in AA ball. Now he could still be great but, man, they are digging deep into the organization for him. Why don't we bring up Munoz with his domination at Birmingham? Oh yeah, we have a good pitcher in Charlotte.

Baby Fisk
05-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Are we conceding the game 5 hours before game time?

Tonight's Lineup:
1. Konerko - C (show off his versatility and speed to other GMs)
2. Alomar - 1B
3. Rowand - CF
4. Harris - 2B (our hottest hitter)
5. Gload - DH
6. Valentin - SS
7. Crede - 3B
8. Perez - RF
9. Burke - LF

"...and your starting pitcher for tonight: just back from having his ass tanned in Charlotte, Danny Wright!"

maurice
05-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Sox hitters love hard-tossers. It's the junkballers that give them fits.

DaveIsHere
05-12-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
I believe that would be me.

OK, but...well....lost....spinning...help

So i guess I am being compared to you homefish, good bad maybe..***??

pearso66
05-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Maybe the double negative of a new pitcher and scoring 15 runs last night will turn into a positive. I am predicting 46 runs tonight

Hokiesox
05-12-2004, 03:08 PM
I watched the guy last week, as the AA stadium is right behind my house. He has some good stuff, for a AA guy. We really shouldn't have a problem against him, though I am aware of our history against new guys.

habibharu
05-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Daniel Cabrera will be pitching tonight. 0-1, 2.63 ERA in AA

DaveIsHere
05-12-2004, 03:23 PM
uuuuuhhhhhhmmmmmm you are late, check the other thread

SSN721
05-12-2004, 03:37 PM
OK, but...well....lost....spinning...help

So i guess I am being compared to you homefish, good bad maybe..***??

Sorry about that, didnt mean to be so vague. It was a playful jab, sorry you didnt catch it. I have just found HomeFish to be rather negative and has stated many times already that the season is over and has conceded the central to the Twins. SO I was just making a joke about your initail negativity. No harm intended, just havin some fun. :D:

Dadawg_77
05-12-2004, 03:53 PM
I wish I would have know, would have picked him up for my fanasty team.

DaveIsHere
05-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
Sorry about that, didnt mean to be so vague. It was a playful jab, sorry you didnt catch it. I have just found HomeFish to be rather negative and has stated many times already that the season is over and has conceded the central to the Twins. SO I was just making a joke about your initail negativity. No harm intended, just havin some fun. :D:

Ok Gotcha!! Well I wasn't being completely negative...you see I have to talk like that because then we play good, when I point out a flaw or tendency it doesnt seem to show up that night, anyway........Let's knock this turd around tonight!!!!

Randar68
05-12-2004, 04:20 PM
uuuuuhhhhhhmmmmmm you are late, check the other thread

Careful, Dave, or Mahoney will lambaste you for criticizing some for being lazy and not following "the unwritten rules of internet geek-dom"...

habib, this is twice in a week. Read what's already on the board before posting this stuff.

Lip Man 1
05-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Uh Oh....another unknown pitcher!

Lip