PDA

View Full Version : Can Pepsi Half-Price Tuesdays

joecrede
05-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Those nearly 9,000 walk-ups last night were made up mostly from the dregs of our city.

I don't want to hear about cheap tickets when the bleachers were full last night for $11 a seat and you can get thousands of excellent UDR seats during the week for $12.

kermittheefrog
05-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Those nearly 9,000 walk-ups last night were made up mostly from the dregs of our city.

I don't want to hear about cheap tickets when the bleachers were full last night for $11 a seat and you can get thousands of excellent UDR seats during the week for $12.

Thats not at all a classist view to take on things.

poorme
05-12-2004, 12:50 PM

What is your evidence for this statement? And what do you define as "dregs?"

CHISOXFAN13
05-12-2004, 12:55 PM

I would bet that 98-99 percent of the people who were enjoying the game last night weren't there to stir the pot and weren't "dregs."

I'm sorry, but

:threadsucks

dademz1
05-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I honestly didnt' agree with that comment either...

santo=dorf
05-12-2004, 12:56 PM
I agree. Let's make all tickets half off for every night of the week.

mdep524
05-12-2004, 01:01 PM

Excuse me joey boy, my friends and I made up 6 of those walk ups last night, and had a great time. don't appreciate being lumped in with the dregs. (Though batman's comment in another thread about the fights resemling bees attacking certain parts of the stands is hilarious and right on! :smile: )

Your bleachers/UD point is way off too. I don't mind the UD at Comiskey at all, but the key thing about the bleachers is that it is in the lower deck, giving a fan access to all the cool stuff down there (Fan deck, Bullpen bar, concourse, etc.), which makes a difference.

joecrede
05-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by poorme

Since their inception, Tuesday night half-price nights have been the worst nights for crowd control this side of Cubs/Sox series. The fights inside and outside the park last night were an embarrassment.

I define a dreg as anyone who starts a fight.

dademz1
05-12-2004, 01:12 PM
So what you are saying is that most people who showed up were trouble makers

so out of 9K people, over 4500 of them started fights

Seems kinda unlikely

I didn't hear about it on the news???

mantis1212
05-12-2004, 01:13 PM

I love half-price days and I want to keep them, but you have to admit there is a coorelation between these nights and trouble in the stands

ma_deuce
05-12-2004, 01:18 PM
I have a solution. Keep the 1/2 price Tuesday nights. Ban the Cubs fans.

Deuce

Baby Fisk
05-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Better security -- ie. fewer aloof teenagers working as ushers -- would go a long way towards solving the fight problems. Another thread today demonstrates the problems & violence one fan encountered when an usher failed to do their job.

poorme
05-12-2004, 01:19 PM
I define a dreg as anyone who starts a fight.

No argument there. But how many people started a fight? 20? That's 0.2% of 9000.

My dad grew up on the south side and didn't have the money to go to many games. The thought of going to a game becoming even more exclusionary sickens me. If Sox Park becomes a social club for the well-heeled, you can count me out.

Huisj
05-12-2004, 01:20 PM
i bet a big reason for the trouble is that lots of people will spend the money they saved on their ticket on extra beer. and lots of beer tends to make people do stupid things

DaveIsHere
05-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Well since the Big Hurt is the Dh, if there is trouble just send him out there....wait.....he might get a hang nail and be out 6-8 weeks....well there goes that idea

Foulke You
05-12-2004, 01:28 PM
No argument there. But how many people started a fight? 20? That's 0.2% of 9000.

My dad grew up on the south side and didn't have the money to go to many games. The thought of going to a game becoming even more exclusionary sickens me. If Sox Park becomes a social club for the well-heeled, you can count me out.

Agreed. I don't have a lot of money and the only extra games I can usually afford to go to during the week are 1/2 price nights. Sox fans usually pride themselves on being a more working class fan. If you ditch half price nights, you are pricing the working class fan out of the park.

The problem is outnumbered security and ushers not doing their jobs (i.e. checking tickets, reporting problems).

joecrede
05-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Allow me to ammend my statement. I was wrong when I said the 9,000 walk-up crowd was mostly the dregs of our city.

I should have said that judging from the crowd incidents over the last year-plus the amount of dregs that walk up to buy tickets on Tuesday's is disproportionately higher than any other game day.

CHISOXFAN13
05-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Allow me to ammend my statement. I was wrong when I said the 9,000 walk-up crowd was mostly the dregs of our city.

I should have said that judging from the crowd incidents over the last year-plus the amount of dregs that walk up to buy tickets on Tuesday's is disproportionately higher than any other game day.

I dont think anyone would argue with that.

SSN721
05-12-2004, 01:35 PM
I think just more security is needed. I dont think it is fair to shut the whole thing down because a few fights last night. I know they happen more on these night but now the orginization should recognize the need for more security. Half of the games I go to are gonna be on the half price nights, games I more then likely wouldnt if they got rid of it. If they dumped it, can you imagine the backlash with the fanbase, with everyone on this site. I guess you're damned if you d and you're damned if you dont. I think more people would want to keep it then would want to dump this. Getting rid of it would not look good.

joecrede
05-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Thats not at all a classist view to take on things.

Do you think there is a correlation between half-price nights and unruly crowds?

Bobby Thigpen
05-12-2004, 01:44 PM
I didn't hear about it on the news???

It's because of the vast Sox media conspiracy. DUHHH!

kevingrt
05-12-2004, 05:09 PM
Canning half price days is not the answer to this on-going problem hopefully. But what can we do about this? Beefing up security is going to rise ticket prices. Anything we do is gonna cost moneyn which will rise ticket prices.

I just hope if they do raise ticket prices they give a good explanation for it, like it's going into security measures or something.

DrummerGeorgefan
05-12-2004, 05:36 PM
I disagree with the dregs comment. I know its been amended, but as a student, I look forward to half price nights because I am already on a meager budget. I would think a bit more before throwing a big label out like that.

I do agree with those talk about more security and ushers. Go to Wrigley. They have very professional ushers and staff. I have been asked to go back to my seat a few times, which I did, albeit angrily when there was no one in the park, but they handled things alot better than some youngster who doesnt take the job seriously and doesnt give a damn. When I was growing up, Old Comiskey had the Andy Frain people. Uniforms and courtesy (as I remember). Put more professional people out there and fights would not be such a problem or a stain on "sox fans"

Dadawg_77
05-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Can half price nights and lower weekday prices by 5-10 across the board. You kill two birds in one stone, one you make ticket more affordable, two you disperse the crowds more evenly across the week.

joecrede
05-12-2004, 05:56 PM
The number of altercations and near-altercations I saw inside and outside the park last night was as many as I have ever seen. Considering the crowd was only 20,000+ I find that remarkable.

Unfortunately, this scene has played out repeatedly on Tuesdays. If they don't re-think this "promotion" they are setting themselves up for disaster IMO.

TaylorStSox
05-12-2004, 07:22 PM
This could be the most prejudiced thread I've seen on this forum. You really need to re-evaluate your position. Your contention is that poor people are disruptive. "Dregs?" Wow.

Dadawg_77
05-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
This could be the most prejudiced thread I've seen on this forum. You really need to re-evaluate your position. Your contention is that poor people are disruptive. "Dregs?" Wow.

I don't think half price night are attracting problems from poor people but rather casual fans who are there to drink.

TaylorStSox
05-12-2004, 09:28 PM
That's what I inferred. If that wasn't the implication, I take it back. I was a bit angered as I can really only afford to take in 1/2 price nights. College student. You know.