PDA

View Full Version : Moronotti Today

JRIG
05-12-2004, 11:36 AM
What the Sox lack is a classic, power-throwing ace who can dominate long stretches of a season and carry the team on his arm.

Later on...

If not [Freddie] Garcia, there are other pitching options: Al Leiter, Kirk Rueter, old man Jamie Moyer, Kris Benson.

Leiter: 6.9 K/9 IP in 2003, 5.4 per 9 in 2004
Rueter: 2.5 (!) K/9 IP in 2003, career 4.0 per 9
Moyer: 5.4 K/9 IP in 2003
Benson: 5.8 K/9 in 2003

Nothing like calling for something and then calling for something completely different within 3 paragraphs. If I'm not mistaken, Reuter has the lowest strikeout rate for any pitcher ever who has thrown as many innings as he has. I'd have to check on that. But if I did, at least I'd be one step ahead of Moronotti. Moyer is not a power pitcher. Lieter has lost a few tick off his fastball this season. Benson is still recovering from an injury, though he's looking a bit better this year.

Randar68
05-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by JRIG
Later on...

Leiter: 6.9 K/9 IP in 2003, 5.4 per 9 in 2004
Rueter: 2.5 (!) K/9 IP in 2003, career 4.0 per 9
Moyer: 5.4 K/9 IP in 2003
Benson: 5.8 K/9 in 2003

Nothing like calling for something and then calling for something completely different within 3 paragraphs. If I'm not mistaken, Reuter has the lowest strikeout rate for any pitcher ever who has thrown as many innings as he has. I'd have to check on that. But if I did, at least I'd be one step ahead of Moronotti. Moyer is not a power pitcher. Lieter has lost a few tick off his fastball this season. Benson is still recovering from an injury, though he's looking a bit better this year.

Don't worry, on this morning's radio show, he said the Sox don't have a pitcher who can strike people out. Ummmm, Jay.... Loaiza led the AL in K's last year, buddy. Just because he doesn't get 2 free pitcher k's a game so his number isn't inflated like in the NL, doesn't mean he can't strike guys out.

Jay also said Loaiza's cutter doesn't have the same movement. Actually, it's 3-4 mph slower, and actually has MORE movement (however making it more difficult to throw for strikes)

poorme
05-12-2004, 11:47 AM
So then we don't have anyone who can strike people out THIS year.

JRIG
05-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by poorme
So then we don't have anyone who can strike people out THIS year.

Yeah, though Buehrle has been very surprising so far. Don't expect that to last. I'm not saying this isn't a problem. I think it is. But Kirk Reuter isn't going to solve anything.

SoxxoS
05-12-2004, 11:59 AM
We need to worry about Loiaza being 100% first.

Then, we need to see what Diaz can do.

We go from there.

Fridaythe13thJason
05-12-2004, 12:01 PM
I think having 5 Number 3 starters can get you through a season just fine. The playoffs is another story however.

pudge
05-12-2004, 12:11 PM
If Loaiza winds up getting hurt, does Rauch finally get a shot? Munoz?

Wanne
05-12-2004, 12:58 PM
The thing that caught my eye from the always Sox-condescending Marriotti was this comment:

"After the flop of fifth starter Dan Wright, someone named Felix Diaz will fly in from the minors and fill the role Thursday afternoon."

Someone named Felix Diaz?!? Like the Sox are just pullin' some unknown outta their rears. I'm gonna go on record and say that bringing Diaz up will be a key for success this summer. He's gonna be a pleasant surprise and may have the same affect that Brandon Webb came out of nowhere for the DBacks a few years ago.

I never get too worked up about what this guy has to say...but of those 4 pitchers mentioned, I'd rather go with my chances with Cotts, Diaz and possibly bringing up Munoz. Here's another thing....what's the possibility of starting Marte at some point? To me, sometimes he would seem more viable as a starter than a closer.

poorme
05-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Wanne
To me, sometimes he would seem more viable as a starter than a closer.

I don't really think that's a good idea, but I do like the idea of trying to "think out of the box" once in a while.

SoxxoS
05-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by pudge

Those are the top two options...but if Loiaza's hurt...I don't want to think about it.

32nd&Wallace
05-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Notice how he had to mention the Cubs in there too....im surprised he hasn't been fired here like he was in Denver

BigFrankFan
05-12-2004, 01:34 PM
To Moronitti (just sounds more Italian to me),

Would you kindly explain your reasoing as to why a STARTING pitcher needs to be a strike out king? Nothing could be further from the truth as I can point you to the list of winningest pitchers of all time & you can then compare that list to the K artists of all time. K's do not equal wins is the message you get from the list.

Now if you had said the SOX need some K artists in the bullpen I would say you were talking sense. If you look up the K leaders in relievers & compare it to the winningest pitchers they seem to have played a major role in those win totals. Nothing gets you out of jams faster or better than a K-out.

Right now if you put Koch on the Braves & Smoltz on the SOX at the start of the season the SOX are running away with the AL. So when ATL is out of it & the SOX are leading the div at the break KW should be looking towards Smoltz to get that World Series crown.

Over By There
05-12-2004, 01:43 PM
Join me in not listening to Mariotti, won't you? As I continually say, if no one listens and makes it sound like we give a darn, he goes away. :smile:

Iwritecode
05-12-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Wanne
Here's another thing....what's the possibility of starting Marte at some point? To me, sometimes he would seem more viable as a starter than a closer.

I remember hearing the same thing suggested with Foulke when he was here.

The same arguement against it applies though. First of all, he seems to be doing pretty good in his role right now. Second, he doesn't have the arm strength become a starter and would take too long to build it up.

If it ain't broke...

OurBitchinMinny
05-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by pudge

Rauch isnt even in the starting rotation at charlotte. He might get plugged in there now that diaz is up. I hate moronotti, but he is right, the sox lack a power starting pitcher. They dont have anyone who throws 96+ consistently. It would be nice to get one

Randar68
05-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
Rauch isnt even in the starting rotation at charlotte. He might get plugged in there now that diaz is up. I hate moronotti, but he is right, the sox lack a power starting pitcher. They dont have anyone who throws 96+ consistently. It would be nice to get one

Yes, Rauch is still in the rotation. That bit about him going to the pen was a rumor only. He's been battling a long-running cold here the past week or 2.

The Radar Gun is one of the most over-used and over-rated things in sports. Give me a control pitcher who throws 92-94 mph any day of the week.

LoveTheSox
05-12-2004, 11:54 PM
Call me an eternal optimist, but now that Danny Wright is gone, I'm satisfied with the job our starting pitching has done. Are they the best staff in baseball? No. Is there room for improvement? Of course, but I'm encouraged by what we've seen so far. I have faith that EL will return to form. I like what we saw from MB last night, and think he will continue to have good outings. I still believe that JG has it in him to be a productive member of this staff. I'm delighted with SS, and I have confindence that we will find an adequate 5th starter, if that happens to be Diaz, great, if not, we'll get someone else. The point is, that I'm happy...the sky is not falling and I don't care what Moronotti says...it's a great time to be a sox fan. Go Sox!

OurBitchinMinny
05-13-2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Yes, Rauch is still in the rotation. That bit about him going to the pen was a rumor only. He's been battling a long-running cold here the past week or 2.

The Radar Gun is one of the most over-used and over-rated things in sports. Give me a control pitcher who throws 92-94 mph any day of the week.

Rauch was on his way out of the rotation. I dont know how great this source is, but according to it he was on the way out. But now with diaz recalled and pancheo on the DL he will probably stay. heres the link

http://www.futuresox.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=257&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0 (http://)

Diaz definitely deserves a shot over rauch. Rauch was a disaster last time he was up and has done nothing too impressive in charlotte obvously if he was on his way to the pen

batmanZoSo
05-13-2004, 02:10 AM
We need Garcia to have any WS hopes. And a closer from anywhere. If not, we can make the playoffs but will get beat. Personally I would be happy with that after going through the last three. You gotta get there and build upon your trips. Let everyone get a taste for it then add to the team and go for the kill in 05. Yes, try to win it this year, but go into next year with a legitamite WS contender because we're not far away.

AS for the near future, I expect us to get better. Buehrle is probably due for a hot streak here and definitely made a good case the other night. Diaz cannot be worse than Wright, and the way he's just dominating AAA I have hope that he can pitch .500 ball in his rookie year. I think we saw what we're gonna get from Loaiza. Coming into his last start he had an ERA of about 3.50. And didn't he give up three or four earned runs that were the result of bad defense? He's not gonna have a 2.90 era, but more like a 3.9. He should still win 15-18 games with that because he has a knack for getting run support. Garland in general will keep us in games. He'll continue to make dumb pitches, but he had two losses where he had corpseball behind him. Hitting is so key with this team. If they hit consistenty, it's over.

SoxxoS
05-13-2004, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
Diaz definitely deserves a shot over rauch. Rauch was a disaster last time he was up and has done nothing too impressive in charlotte obvously if he was on his way to the pen

I agree that Diaz deserves a call-up over Rauch, but don't underestimate what Rauch has done the past year. He has been pitching in a band box, and he is a flyball pitcher. That is a disaster waiting to happen. Some of his long fly balls that are home runs in Charlotte are fly balls at the Cell. Big difference. He doesn't walk many guys and he has been striking out guys at a decent rate.

Rauch deserves a spot eventually. He is two years recovered from shoulder surgery and it's time to see what he can do.

Lip Man 1
05-13-2004, 12:53 PM
it sounds to me like Rauch did the same thing that Sean Lowe, Kelly Wunsch, Keith Foulke and others have done.

They apparently pissed off the wrong person in the Sox organization.

Lip