PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/12/04

Hangar18
05-12-2004, 11:13 AM
The SOX win a big game .......... by biggest home shutout margin since 1907 ..........and Cubs lose and player gets hurt .......and whats the Biggest Story? I'll let you guess. Telander Gets It Right today ........... calling out the Violence in Wrigleyville, Mayor Daley even gets called out for Not Taking More of a Stand on the issue, perhaps (as I suggested yesterday) that hes worried about $$$$$$$. Nancy Loo, bimbo on FOX was very SAD today.....with Woods Injury causing her to say "we need to destroy that ball again" and her co-host quipped "gonna take more than that" and he snickered. Somehow, even though the SOX Get a Big Win, and Are at HOME ..........

Yet get outstoried AGAIN .......... *sigh*

Cubune:
6 cub stories
5 sox stories

Cub-Times:
6 cub stories
4 sox stories

Standings since Spring Training .......
CUBS 604
SOX 405

rahulsekhar
05-12-2004, 11:17 AM
The only thing I dont' like is that even the columns discussing the incident make it out to be a city problem rather than on aided/abetted by the Cubs. Where are the calls to have the games and nearby bars regulated on game day to reduce the drunkenness? It's just another way to sweep it under the rug and disassociate it from the team.

I tell you what - if this results in my tax dollars going to put more police on the streets for night games, I am going to be severely pissed.

DaveIsHere
05-12-2004, 11:19 AM
GO figure, like we keep saying we could win the world series and the 2 stories would be buried in the cubune, but there would be 8 stories (front and back) about how the Cubs could have won it all or what they are doing for next year......oh well

Jerry_Manuel
05-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Nancy Loo, bimbo on FOX was very SAD today.....with Woods Injury causing her to say "we need to destroy that ball again" and her co-host quipped "gonna take more than that" and he snickered.

haha.

Yeah, Patrick Elwood is his name he's a Sox fan for sure. At 6am they we're going over the top stories and sports. Wolf mentioned about Wood being hurt, and Elwood in this spooky halloween voice said "the curse of the Billy Goat". Nancy got real defensive and told him to stop it.

daveeym
05-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Hangar a suggestion for you on another angle to look at. West Coast coverage. Sox at home, cubs on the road with late games out west, see if they get full coverage and make the "deadlines" and whether the reverse is true when the Sox are out west. Funny that they could have so many articles dealing with the facts and late breaking announcement of what Kerry's injury was but last week the trib couldn't get the a 6:30 shooting into the paper because of their "deadline".

Jerry_Manuel
05-12-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by daveeym
Hangar a suggestion for you on another angle to look at. West Coast coverage. Sox at home, cubs on the road with late games out west, see if they get full coverage and make the "deadlines" and whether the reverse is true when the Sox are out west. Funny that they could have so many articles dealing with the facts and late breaking announcement of what Kerry's injury was but last week the trib couldn't get the a 6:30 shooting into the paper because of their "deadline".

I live in Hanover Park, and the Wood story was on the front page, on the right hand side. Most of the front page was about Bobby Hull selling his game used equipment. Sox had the top headline though.

jackbrohamer
05-12-2004, 11:35 AM
The lead Cubune article on the Sox today demonstrates how it keeps the attendance issue in the forefront: They usually put the Sox home attendance in the first or second sentence of the game recaps for home games and don't mention it for road games.

During the Sox's recent 6-game road trip, NONE of the Cubune articles recapping the games mentioned attendance. Despite the fact that there were many, many empty seats in both Baltimore and Toronto. Today, attendance is suddenly such an important aspect of the game that it's in the second sentence in the article.

onesox
05-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Am I missing something.....I saw the cub-times and counted the articles and it looked to be 4-4, I am not counting an article about the shooting and bad press for the cubs....why would you. Plus I notice if the cubs get a back page picture hangar notes it, but if the sox do.....like they did today, hangar never says anything....what is up with that?

Hangar18
05-12-2004, 12:49 PM
I count the articles about cubs/wrigleyville as cub stories
ALso........story regarding 'most painful picture' being that stupid chick in cub hat........counts as a story

npdempse
05-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar

I tell you what - if this results in my tax dollars going to put more police on the streets for night games, I am going to be severely pissed.

The city is charging teams for patrols during games now. So additional police presence should come out of the Tribune Co.'s bottom line.

Hangar18
05-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
The city is charging teams for patrols during games now. So additional police presence should come out of the Tribune Co.'s bottom line.

What Happened to the CUBS "were gonna kick in some extra $$$$ for cleanup in the neighborhood in EXCHANGE for more Nite Games?" The CUBS wanted MORE nite games (so more Games can Charge PRIME-TIME TV AD RATES on WGN/FOX, not because the cubs get too tired in the day like Dusty and Shammy claimed) SO THE CUBS SHOULD PAY ENTIRELY for this .........
they want their cake and eat it too. SOrry cubs.....doesnt work this way (unless of course the media loves you)