PDA

View Full Version : Take A Cubs Fan to Comiskey

jabrch
05-12-2004, 10:00 AM
One of my good buddies is a long time Cubs fan. He left Chicago about 10 years ago and has lived on the east coast, but still has remained a Cubs fan. He doesn't hate the Sox, but he has only been to New Comiskey once - and that was in the second year it was open. He came in town on business and I brought him to yesterdays' game.

What was the result?

A) He had a blast. Saw a great performance by the entire team.

B) He ate everything - Pizza (both in the BPB and from LaRussa's), Polish with Grilled onions, Corn dog, funnell cake, dippin Dots and, of course, a churro. He was thrilled with the food at Comiskey. He did miss the Steak Pita - and will hit that next time.

C) He was surprised at how nice bridgeport is. All he remembered was how it was in the 80s and what he has heard in the national media since, or what he hears from other cubs fans

D) He was shocked at how nice of a place the park is to see a game - after everything he heard and read, he figured every seat had a pole in front of it, and was 30,000 feet high.

E) He definitely wants to come back when he is in town next!

I didn't get him to turn his back on the Cubs, but at least he now sees the Sox, and particularly the park, in a different light.

I am taking a Cubs season ticket holder to one of the Texas games in return for him taking me to a Cardinals game @ Wrigley. Let's see how that works out?

illiniwhitesox
05-12-2004, 10:13 AM
I'm not sure I could stand 9 innings with a Cubs fan. Kudos to you for showing patience and resolve.

I imagine its similar to dealing with an addict. You can't change the behavior until that person understands the repeated poor decisions they have made.

In terms of going to Wrigley Field, I have been there 7 times over the span of 35 years. I have also been to 9 other ballparks over this span.

The two dumbest questions I was ever been asked at a ballgame are:
1) Do you know where right field is?
2) How many innings are in a baseball game?

I was asked both of these questions at Wrigley Field!

DaveIsHere
05-12-2004, 10:21 AM
NO!!

jabrch
05-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by illiniwhitesox
I'm not sure I could stand 9 innings with a Cubs fan. Kudos to you for showing patience and resolve.

I imagine its similar to dealing with an addict. You can't change the behavior until that person understands the repeated poor decisions they have made.

In terms of going to Wrigley Field, I have been there 7 times over the span of 35 years. I have also been to 9 other ballparks over this span.

The two dumbest questions I was ever been asked at a ballgame are:
1) Do you know where right field is?
2) How many innings are in a baseball game?

I was asked both of these questions at Wrigley Field!

Well, I grew up in the North Suburbs, so I am in the minority amongst my close friends as a Sox fan. I go to about 6 games at Wrigley per year. Usually friends call me with free ticks, and I do enjoy baseball anywhere I can get it. I am a scorekeeper - so I always have scorecard and pencil in hand. At Wrigley, 3 different times people asked me what I am doing... They aren't the best fans in town for nothing folks...

vegyrex
05-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Only if they pay. :D:

Palehose13
05-12-2004, 10:52 AM
I had a similar experience last year when I took my cub fan friend to a game. She had never been to Comiskey, so I thought I would show her that it wasn't like the media portrayed. She had a great time and wants to go again this year. She now doesn't "hate" the Sox like she used to...I won't say the same to her and she doesn't even try to take me to Wrigley. ;)

Cellview22
05-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Only if they promise not to wear anything that says Cubs..

I was watching the game on tv last night and I saw some people wearing Cubs shirts and hats... :angry:

fhqwhgads
05-12-2004, 10:59 AM
I am taking a Cubs fan (my mother-in-law) to Comiskey on 5/16. She won't be wearing any Cubs regalia, but she may don a Twins cap for the occasion. :D:

jabrch
05-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Cellview22
Only if they promise not to wear anything that says Cubs..

I was watching the game on tv last night and I saw some people wearing Cubs shirts and hats... :angry:

I agree 100%. other than Sox vs cubs games, I never wear Sox stuff to Wrigley. I wouldn't bring someone into the park doing that.

Iwritecode
05-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by fhqwhgads
I am taking a Cubs fan (my mother-in-law) to Comiskey on 5/16. She won't be wearing any Cubs regalia, but she may don a Twins cap for the occasion. :D:

A Twins fan taking a Cubs fan to a Sox game...

That's not something you see everyday. :D:

bartmanisgod
05-12-2004, 09:39 PM
I took a few of my friends to the yankees game...My friend is a Mariners fan from seattle and the other is from iowa and is a cubs fan...Both of them were extremely impressed with the stadium and couldn't believe how close the seats are to the field...they loved the food too and it was a great expirience and they both have asked to go back when school starts again in sept.

In closing two guys who thought Safeco field and Wrigley were the end all and be all of baseball stadiums had a great time at the cell cheering against the evil empire