PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Night Fights

jabrch
05-12-2004, 08:03 AM
I was as the game yesterday and in the ninth inning, I noticed 4 fights all at the same time, all in different parts of the park. Did anyone else see them? Anyone know what people were fighting about? I also saw a few of them on the ramp going down from RF to the BPB.

Sucks to see that. I am used to it, but it still sucks.

Hangar18
05-12-2004, 08:32 AM
This was a big Topic on talkradio last nite afterwards. I was at the game, SItting in the LeftCenter field bleachers, and I saw firsthand about 5 of them. Let me first say that anyone who says Cub fans are "great fans", is full of *****.

Every single fight, as ridiculous as this is gonna sound, was Cub/Sox related. There were a huge amount of Cub fans at this game, and all were Boisterous, Rude, and there for trouble. I personally witnessed one cub fan to my left headband, after every SOX run, would stand and taunt the crowd. The other in front of me in a blue/gray cub shirt........ was calmer and kept saying the Cubs were still great all game. Every Fight began with cub fans running up and down the aisles, Cheering Cub chants, sticking middle fingers in the air (which of course Sox fans werent going to take) etc etc then SOX fans finishing the job.
It was totally out of hand, and I pointed out the one guy (as I knew what he was trying to do) to a security guy,
but they were "short-handed" and didnt come down til the guy finally Succeeded in starting a brawl.

One Argument finally started near us (instigated by headband guy) and the calm cub fan, abruptly jumped up, ran down toward the fracas, and randomly punched a SOX fan, causing a brawl.

By the time the game was near the end, I found myself HOPING every cub fan would get the crap kicked out of them ........ then alternately realized I was getting tired of all of it. I was able to get some very good descriptions, and detailed some of the brawls for the security personnel, who seemed glad to get some kind of idea what the heck was going on. Another security, walked up and said "we know its the cub fans" to his partner.

Thought id detail this before the Media either
A. Lies and says SOX fans go wild
B. Doesnt say a word about it

Hangar18
05-12-2004, 08:38 AM
the 9th inning brawl mentioned, in which there were like
5 brawls at the same time, almost seemed to be "timed".
The Cub fans, noticing one brawl starting, randomly punched
Sox fans starting other brawls. They happened at the same time that Security never really stopped the other 4, too busy
dealing with the 1st one. This is a very serious problem,
(Media cub frenzy has cub fans emboldened to do this kind of stuff)

Cub games are all sold out ................ These friggin IDIOT "Fans"
have nowhere else to go and drink ............so were gonna see
this all year. Thank You Chicago Media (which their response will be "we didnt tell cub fans to go wild at comiskey")
or as a clown on the score last nite, chastised SOX FANS for letting the CUb Fans "get to you guys". what a bunch of BS

Palehose13
05-12-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
This was a big Topic on talkradio last nite afterwards. I was at the game, SItting in the LeftCenter field bleachers, and I saw firsthand about 5 of them. Let me first say that anyone who says Cub fans are "great fans", is full of *****.

Every single fight, as ridiculous as this is gonna sound, was Cub/Sox related. There were a huge amount of Cub fans at this game, and all were Boisterous, Rude, and there for trouble. I personally witnessed one cub fan to my left headband, after every SOX run, would stand and taunt the crowd. The other in front of me in a blue/gray cub shirt........ was calmer and kept saying the Cubs were still great all game. Every Fight began with cub fans running up and down the aisles, Cheering Cub chants, sticking middle fingers in the air (which of course Sox fans werent going to take) etc etc then SOX fans finishing the job.
It was totally out of hand, and I pointed out the one guy (as I knew what he was trying to do) to a security guy,
but they were "short-handed" and didnt come down til the guy finally Succeeded in starting a brawl.

One Argument finally started near us (instigated by headband guy) and the calm cub fan, abruptly jumped up, ran down toward the fracas, and randomly punched a SOX fan, causing a brawl.

By the time the game was near the end, I found myself HOPING every cub fan would get the crap kicked out of them ........ then alternately realized I was getting tired of all of it. I was able to get some very good descriptions, and detailed some of the brawls for the security personnel, who seemed glad to get some kind of idea what the heck was going on. Another security, walked up and said "we know its the cub fans" to his partner.

Interesting. IS this the reason for the "cubs suck" chant I heard over the TV broadcast last night? I hate the cubs like any other good sox fan, but thought it was out of place to chant that at a Sox-O's game. Now it makes sense.

patbooyah
05-12-2004, 08:48 AM
I was able to get some very good descriptions, and detailed some of the brawls for the security personnel, who seemed glad to get some kind of idea what the heck was going on. Another security, walked up and said "we know its the cub fans" to his partner.

thats hilarious. Hangar is now like the beat reporter making sure the truth gets out there. he is on the scene, and taking names.

SaltyPretzel
05-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Wait a minute! I thought Cub fans couldn't care less about the Sox.

Jerko
05-12-2004, 09:05 AM
Hangar, I agree with everything you said, but after we take care of the media we better start an email campaign or something to the Sox about the perpetually suck-ass security they have there, especially on half price nights, and especially on nights with a lot of walk-up sales (of which the KC/Dybass game last year was both). I am not saying they are bad at their job as guards, there just never seems to be ENOUGH of them. This happens EVERY first half price night after a road trip it seems, and EVERY year the Sox are "short-handed" in their security. I was at that Dybass game and I swore that night never to go to a half price night again. Yes, we will have Cub fans up our asses at the Cell on EVERY half-price night, discount day, fireworks night, or Twin game (rooting for the Twins). I wonder who's gonna get their head split open with a bat this Sunday at our bat day (real bats too) when there's 3 Cub fans in my section starting crap and 2 security guards in the entire park. This is going to be a problem AT LEAST until the season series between the Cubs/Sox is over, and maybe even longer. Someone in charge at both ballparks better start taking this more seriously before somebody else winds up dead. I'm gonna go email the Sox now because I refuse to have to worry about being in a freakin melee every night now because nobody wants to admit Cub fans infiltrating the park and causing crap is a valid reason to hire more security.

Brian26
05-12-2004, 09:07 AM
The Cub fans, noticing one brawl starting, randomly punched
Sox fans starting other brawls. They happened at the same time that Security never really stopped the other 4, too busy
dealing with the 1st one

This is unbelievable.

Hangar, did they punch people who happened to be minding their own business? Or were these punches based on earlier verbal jabbing? Either way, it's wrong. Yet, if totally innocent people are getting nailed for no reason at the game, these punk Cubs fans need to be in jail. This is BS. If I saw one of these drillrods coldcock a completely innocent person, I'd drag their sorry ass to the police station on 35th Street by their nose.

Hangar18
05-12-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
This is unbelievable.

Hangar, did they punch people who happened to be minding their own business? Or were these punches based on earlier verbal jabbing? Either way, it's wrong. Yet, if totally innocent people are getting nailed for no reason at the game, these punk Cubs fans need to be in jail. This is BS. If I saw one of these drillrods coldcock a completely innocent person, I'd drag their sorry ass to the police station on 35th Street by their nose.

yes, the heavy set "quiet" cub fan, in the blue/gray cubbie shirt,
waited for a fight to start near him.......when one did, he ran Down towards it, randomly punched a SoxFan whose back was turned towards this fight, the crowd erupted into a whoah......
and then Sox Fans jumped in to inflict justice. Amazingly,
this guy then ran away from the still happening brawl......this one finished itself off........security never came.
Cub fans are a-holes, I hate all of them now.

Dan H
05-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
Wait a minute! I thought Cub fans couldn't care less about the Sox.

Good point. Another fallacy that the media has tried to sell here in Chicago. I was at a Sox-Cubs game at Wrigley back in 2000, and heard Sox taunting that lasted until the extra innings. The Cubbies myth is going to explode this year. If the team should make it to the Series, I would hate the condition of Wrigleyville (Not Lakeview) afterward.

Brian26
05-12-2004, 09:33 AM
yes, the heavy set "quiet" cub fan, in the blue/gray cubbie shirt,
waited for a fight to start near him.......when one did, he ran Down towards it, randomly punched a SoxFan whose back was turned towards this fight, the crowd erupted into a whoah......
and then Sox Fans jumped in to inflict justice. Amazingly,
this guy then ran away from the still happening brawl......this one finished itself off........security never came.
Cub fans are a-holes, I hate all of them now.

Unbelievable.

The amazing thing is I can picture the portly guy running down the aisle to sucker punch someone like I've seen it a million times, already breaking a sweat before he turns around to run away. I imagine the drillrod was wearing a scrubs batting practice jersey too (although you said blue/gray).

misty60481
05-12-2004, 09:43 AM
I dont go to many games anymore getting to old to drive in lot of traffic but friends of my kids go a lot they said most Cub fans are cowards when they have bigger bunch they bully but run like hell when things even out

batmanZoSo
05-12-2004, 09:48 AM
It was like this when I went on a Tuesday a few weeks ago. Though I don't think I saw any cub fans. But it's clear that half price night brings out the riff-raff. Every few innings if you just scan the crowd you can see commotions in various parts of the stadium. From a distance it almost looks like certain sections are being attacked by bees.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
It was like this when I went on a Tuesday a few weeks ago. Though I don't think I saw any cub fans. But it's clear that half price night brings out the riff-raff. Every few innings if you just scan the crowd you can see commotions in various parts of the stadium. From a distance it almost looks like certain sections are being attacked by bees.

bees with beers, beer guts, churros, and media guides. deadly combo

LuvSox
05-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Being there last night, if only for a moment, felt like the old park. A slight haze, some rowdiness in the stands. Tailgaiting everywhere, before and after the game. Of course the fights aren't cool, but I had a blast anyway.

LuvSox
05-12-2004, 10:28 AM
Another thing.......there was beautiful women EVERYWHERE last night. I fell in love every couple of minutes. :D:

Viva Magglio
05-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Whoever engages in fighting in the stands is a drillrod, regardless of team affiliation. As they say, it takes two to tango.

If, as Hangar suggets, the fighting was a result of Cub fan instigation, that is an issue that needs to be looked at. I have no problem with Cub fans coming to our ballpark in their Cubbie apparel. I would imagine that a majority of them like baseball and just want to check out the aciton in our ballpark, just as a number of our fans check things out at Wrigley Field (when they can get tickets). However, if at least some Cub fans are showing up to cause trouble, it is a detail that cannot be lost upon the media.

The Cheat
05-12-2004, 10:57 AM
I got my azz kicked at the stadium last night ---

- I am not a cubs fan -- This was my 5th game at the Cell this year
- I sat with two Baltimore fans to my right and three to my left in section 159 row 3
- When the game was thuroughly out of hand, the fans to my left, got up and never returned
- A group of 3 drunken frat boys replaced the polite Orioles fans
- The Frat boys had been removed, earlier in the game, from mulitple seats at the request of people around them/ the proper ticket holders
- They had been ragging on Larry Bigbie all night long -- Not that they new his first name -- or that they could come up with anythin more original than "Bigbie Sucks"
- While they proceeded to lay into bigbie in the 8th -- allong with the Orioles fans to my right -- I told them to "lay off Bigbie" - They were actually calling him "Bixby" -- I told them the Incredible hulk wasn't playing left field
- They were completely hammered. They had been removed from those seats after the 7th, and had trouble negotiating the stairs on thier way up to thier "proper" seats
- After I convinced them to leave Bigbie alone -- I became the center for thier misplaced rage
- I did little to provoke the attack -- I asked the usher to remove them, as they weren't sitting in thier proper seats, and had already been removed from those seats earlier in the game ---
- The Usher shook his head at me, and shrugged his shoulders, as if to say there wasn't anything he could do about it - rather there wasnt anything he cared to do about it
- at that point, seeing they weren't going to be removed by the usher, They became extremely aggressive towards me.
- I was expecting the usher to see that they were causing yet another disturbance and finally remove them, but that did not happen
- The one "frat boy" said "I'd rather get thrown out of here than have that 'N' move me from these seats" -- They had been looking for a fight all game, at this point I had no intention of giving them one - I thougt I had done the proper thing by telling the usher to remove them
- There were two guys in Row 4 directly behind the "frat boys" -- I didn't notice them, or say anything to them -- They were quiet and not disturbing anyone, even if they weren't in thier actually seats
- But that's where the troble came from -- One of the guys in Row 4 grabbed the sunglasses off of my head, and broke them into multiple pieces
- At that point, I have to admit, I lost it -- They were $180 sunglasses
- I can't give an accurate assesment of what happened from that point on -- It all went by very quickly. Also I spent most of the time on the ground, or stopping fists with my skull

------------------------------

I have serious issues with the security at the cell last night -- I was present for the Royals game last year too, and I thought last night was worse

I was never checked on by any of the White Sox staff after I had been thuroughly beaten

To my Knowledge, Security never even entered the aisle between 159 and 160, where the entire event occured

How far does someone to go to get tossed out of the game -- By all means I should have been last night (Although, not the instigator, I did throw a few punches, which should warrant a quick trip out of the stadium anywhere) -- But this group had been kicked out of multiple seats, Instigated a couple other small altercations, and even said aloud that they wanted to be kicked out

I don't know what happened to the group that attacked me, whether they were tossed out or not. I know I wasn't. I never left the section. And stayed until after the game -- I wanted to talk to security, to ask what was being done with those thugs, but my brother wisely advised me not to. He said that they were "looking for me, and threatened to take him to jail", although he did nothing, Including help me --
------------------------------------------

I know I don't post on this board, but I felt it important to get my story told --

Some background informaton on me -- I'm 24, I post prominently on another site ;), I had one beer at the game in the first inning -- So alcohol was not a contributing factor -- I generally go to about 10+ Sox games a year -- I don't go around looking for fights, and was not looking for one last night either -- I have not been in a fight since the sixth grade, and thats about what it felt like last night -- I'm ashamed to be linked to this incident -- I hated listening to talk radio on the way home last night --

Cellview22
05-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Geeez, makes me not want to go to any games this year! No wonder the attendance is so low. I probably won't get down there again, this is just ridiculous.

I can't imagine what's gonna happen on June 25, 26, and 27 at the Cell when the Sox play the Cubs. I can only imagine someone's gonna get seriously injured or killed during that series. What a shame!

davidleeroth
05-12-2004, 11:06 AM
i wasnt there last night, but i'm shocked hangar blames it on cub fans

southsidesoxfan1
05-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Being there last night, if only for a moment, felt like the old park. A slight haze, some rowdiness in the stands. Tailgaiting everywhere, before and after the game. Of course the fights aren't cool, but I had a blast anyway.

I agree with you, it did feel like being at the old park. I was sitting in the bleachers with the true fans. Everyone was really into the game until the stupid fights. The weather heats up and so do the tempers, so I wasn't surprised to see so many on a warm early May night. Hangar was right when he mentioned that the Security was understaffed. It seemed like forever before security came to get to one of the fights in the bleachers. Strange because the seemed like last year they had way to much security and were yankin people out of there seats with the smallest disturbance. Anyhow damn shame, cause most of the crowd stands up to watch these pathetic brawls and not the game. And what a game it was. I haven't seen such a beat down since 2000. Go Sox!!

CHISOXFAN13
05-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by The Cheat

- I sat with two Baltimore fans to my right and three to my left in section 159 row 3
- When the game was thuroughly out of hand, the fans to my left, got up and never returned
- The Frat boys had been removed, earlier in the game, from mulitple seats at the request of people around them/ the proper ticket holders
- They had been ragging on Larry Bigbie all night long -- Not that they new his first name -- or that they could come up with anythin more original than "Bigbie Sucks"
- While they proceeded to lay into bigbie in the 8th -- allong with the Orioles fans to my right -- I told them to "lay off Bigbie" - They were actually calling him "Bixby" -- I told them the Incredible hulk wasn't playing left field
- They were completely hammered. They had been removed from those seats after the 7th, and had trouble negotiating the stairs on thier way up to thier "proper" seats
- After I convinced them to leave Bigbie alone -- I became the center for thier misplaced rage
- I did little to provoke the attack -- I asked the usher to remove them, as they weren't sitting in thier proper seats, and had already been removed from those seats earlier in the game ---
- The Usher shook his head at me, and shrugged his shoulders, as if to say there wasn't anything he could do about it - rather there wasnt anything he cared to do about it
- at that point, seeing they weren't going to be removed by the usher, They became extremely aggressive towards me.
- I was expecting the usher to see that they were causing yet another disturbance and finally remove them, but that did not happen
- The one "frat boy" said "I'd rather get thrown out of here than have that 'N' move me from these seats" -- They had been looking for a fight all game, at this point I had no intention of giving them one - I thougt I had done the proper thing by telling the usher to remove them
- There were two guys in Row 4 directly behind the "frat boys" -- I didn't notice them, or say anything to them -- They were quiet and not disturbing anyone, even if they weren't in thier actually seats
- But that's where the troble came from -- One of the guys in Row 4 grabbed the sunglasses off of my head, and broke them into multiple pieces
- At that point, I have to admit, I lost it -- They were $180 sunglasses
- I can't give an accurate assesment of what happened from that point on -- It all went by very quickly. Also I spent most of the time on the ground, or stopping fists with my skull

------------------------------

I have serious issues with the security at the cell last night -- I was present for the Royals game last year too, and I thought last night was worse

I was never checked on by any of the White Sox staff after I had been thuroughly beaten

To my Knowledge, Security never even entered the aisle between 159 and 160, where the entire event occured

How far does someone to go to get tossed out of the game -- By all means I should have been last night (Although, not the instigator, I did throw a few punches, which should warrant a quick trip out of the stadium anywhere) -- But this group had been kicked out of multiple seats, Instigated a couple other small altercations, and even said aloud that they wanted to be kicked out

I don't know what happened to the group that attacked me, whether they were tossed out or not. I know I wasn't. I never left the section. And stayed until after the game -- I wanted to talk to security, to ask what was being done with those thugs, but my brother wisely advised me not to. He said that they were "looking for me, and threatened to take him to jail", although he did nothing, Including help me --
------------------------------------------

I know I don't post on this board, but I felt it important to get my story told --

Some background informaton on me -- I'm 24, I post prominently on another site ;), I had one beer at the game in the first inning -- So alcohol was not a contributing factor -- I generally go to about 10+ Sox games a year -- I don't go around looking for fights, and was not looking for one last night either -- I have not been in a fight since the sixth grade, and thats about what it felt like last night -- I'm ashamed to be linked to this incident -- I hated listening to talk radio on the way home last night --

A friend of mine was sitting in the second row of the same section and provided the same story of what happened, so you are definitely credibile.

To me, the blaming of all the fights on Cubs fans is ludicrous. I was walking on the concourse on my way out of the ballpark when a bozo, wearing a Sox jersey, decided it would be cool to run into everyone in his path.

Those of you who think this is solely a Cubs fans issue really need to get a grip. Stop being so damn naive.

jabrch
05-12-2004, 11:13 AM

That sucks. That really sucks.

DaveIsHere
05-12-2004, 11:28 AM
well......I guess I will stay away from the half price nights, it is really sad that anyone has to deal with that, it is un called for and uncivilized. I guess these frat boys just thought it was another frat party where binge drinking is the goal of the night. Well I hope you didn't get too hurt, and hopefully you will come back out and support our Sox again.

Hangar18
05-12-2004, 11:29 AM

Dude..........I saw this. I was right behind you and saw the Guy that hit you .............. The cub fan in the bandanna saw your incident gaining steam, and incited the actual punching. Guy behind you hit you, took off right away after starting that.
Private Message me

Hangar18
05-12-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
A friend of mine was sitting in the second row of the same section and provided the same story of what happened, so you are definitely credibile.

To me, the blaming of all the fights on Cubs fans is ludicrous. I was walking on the concourse on my way out of the ballpark when a bozo, wearing a Sox jersey, decided it would be cool to run into everyone in his path.

Those of you who think this is solely a Cubs fans issue really need to get a grip. Stop being so damn naive.

Its a cub fan issue when every fight within eyesight is Incited/Caused/Involving a Cub fan............ how so? The morons are wearing their cubjunk.

miker
05-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Maybe it is time for the true Sox fans to take matters into their own hands... :smile:

npdempse
05-12-2004, 11:40 AM

-

That's BS. You totally did the right thing in asking to get those guys bounced, and that usher should be given their walking papers.
FWIW, in such a situation, I'd go over to the bullpen and talk to one of the security honchos who's usually at the bottom of the aisle between 158 & 159. I haven't dealt with them personally, but have seen them be plenty friendly with any number of fans. The ushers are generally just high schoolers or college kids with little interest in crowd control/fan safety.

CHISOXFAN13
05-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Cellview22
Geeez, makes me not want to go to any games this year! No wonder the attendance is so low. I probably won't get down there again, this is just ridiculous.

I can't imagine what's gonna happen on June 25, 26, and 27 at the Cell when the Sox play the Cubs. I can only imagine someone's gonna get seriously injured or killed during that series. What a shame!

For the most part, considering the heat and attendance, the crowds at these games are fairly well-behaved.

I think a majority of those in attendance are on the edge of their seats from pitch one and aren't worried about the extra-curricular garbage.

patbooyah
05-12-2004, 11:44 AM
i agree that there needs to be more security in the park. i have no problem with they guys who are wearing the white polos and doing thier best to stop fights- there just aren't enough of them.

1. nobody sits where they are supposed to.
2. too many drunk kids in wife beaters swear in front of little kids.
3. too many people smoke in the stands.
4. people get way too intense without getting any sort of warning from security.

i remember when i was a kid there was an usher posted at every aisle. the usher would walk up and down the aisles and keep an eye on everyone. and this usher wasn't just some kid from the neighborhood who really didn't give a damn. this person took pride in their job. thats what we need- people who actually work to make sure fights don't happen. not kids looking to see a game for free.

last night i actually heard a fan say to a security guy- "could you guys please do something about this! my kids are getting tired of seeing the fights."

----

on a seperate note- YES! there were a ton of beautiful women last night. it seemed like there were some really big groups of college aged kids tailgating, etc. it was fun.

The Cheat
05-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by npdempse
That's BS. You totally did the right thing in asking to get those guys bounced, and that usher should be given their walking papers.
FWIW, in such a situation, I'd go over to the bullpen and talk to one of the security honchos who's usually at the bottom of the aisle between 158 & 159. I haven't dealt with them personally, but have seen them be plenty friendly with any number of fans. The ushers are generally just high schoolers or college kids with little interest in crowd control/fan safety.

The main reason I asked the usher was because he had done a good job until that point -- He had checked tickets of people in the first couple rows, and removed those who didn't belong -- He had even removed the guy who ended up fighting in the inning before

It was when he just had enough of dealing with the same few people that it became a problem -- The drunks then thought they were invinsible, untouchable, and for the most part they were correct.

poorme
05-12-2004, 12:09 PM
Cheat: I wish you would file a lawsuit against the Sox. I doubt you'd win, but maybe you'd get somebody's attention.

The Cheat
05-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Cheat: I wish you would file a lawsuit against the Sox. I doubt you'd win, but maybe you'd get somebody's attention.

There will be a (series of) written corespondence first, highlighting the issues with security last night. I don't think I could sue the team I love so much... I don't realy have anything to sue for either, my $180 glasses (I hope to be reembursed for those), $10 for Aleve for my headache, it's not really worth it -- There will be letters written however ---

Anyone know Who I should be writing too?

Brian26
05-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by npdempse

Yep. If the ushers act like they don't give a rat's ass, go to their boss. Hell, if things are that out of hand, walk up the aisle and get one of the security guys to get on the horn and call for backup or call the main security room behind homeplate. Don't mess around.

Brian26
05-12-2004, 12:34 PM
There will be a (series of) written corespondence first, highlighting the issues with security last night. I don't think I could sue the team I love so much... I don't realy have anything to sue for either, my $180 glasses (I hope to be reembursed for those), $10 for Aleve for my headache, it's not really worth it -- There will be letters written however ---

Anyone know Who I should be writing too?

Dude, I'd call the police today and file a report. Seriously.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-12-2004, 12:38 PM
This has become nothing but an annual rite of spring. Just like buzzards coming back to Wooster Ohio, or the swallows returning to Capistrano, or the crocus popping from the ground after the first spring thaw, you can damned well predict that the first summer-like evening of half-price night at the Cell will turn into a beer-fueled fighting lalapalooza. I would blame it on a full moon but it's not a full moon right now.

If you cheapen your product, only cheap people will buy it. Half-price nights certainly increase the gate, but that's really not addressing the attendance problems the Sox face. Thank God Rob Gallas is gone because he never did figure this out.

:gallas
"I am the king of half-priced walk ups... umm, err... or at least I used to be!"

cheeses_h_rice
05-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Seriously, hasn't the lax security been a problem at the new park forever? The ushers are generally 16-21 years old, and to my eyes look like they couldn't give a **** about much else than some token ticket-checking. If I were the Cheat, I'd be furious at the Sox and their hired "security" staff for being derelict in their duty to kick out the ass****s and keep the game safe and fun for the remaining 98% of the fans who want to watch a baseball game.

How hard is it to police a few dozen idiots, anyway?

DaveIsHere
05-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

How hard is it to police a few dozen idiots, anyway?

Obviously it must be quite difficult.

nlentz88
05-12-2004, 12:55 PM
I was in the right field bleachers as well, and I found the fights to be very distracting. Yeah, I was among those who stood up on the bleachers and gawked at the commotion, but after the first few incidents I was praying people would sit down so I could watch the exciting game on the field unfold. I noticed Valentine turning around between outs to watch the action in the stands as well; shouldn't he be focused on the game at hand?

Anyway, I brought a Cubs fan to the game last night. He refrained from wearing his Cubs gear (though he did wear a Maryland cap), and wisely so. People who wear Cubs gear to the Cell are taking a risk, especially if they sit in the bleachers. It's almost a given that wearing Cubs gear to a Sox game will lead to drunk Sox fans yelling and swearing at the north side fans. And when the Cubs fans yell and curse back, well then there's a chance that a fight will break out.

I didn't see who started the fights, but I can believe Hangar's version of events. I welcome Cubs fans at the Cell, but if they wear their Cubs gear and argue with Sox fans then they should know what to expect.

It's sad, really. Every season I go to one or two games at the Urinal and always wear my Sox gear. Sure, Cubs fans always taunt me about it, but I've never been afraid of a fight breaking out. It's sad that Cubs fans can't have the same sense of security at the Cell. Yes it's regrettable that this is the way things have become, but I would still advise any Cubs fan thinking of attending a game at the Cell to leave his Cubs gear at home.

It was indeed a wild and energetic night at the Cell last night. The weather was absolutely beautiful, the runs kept adding up inning anfter inning, Buehrle kept the top half of the innings short, and there were a ton of young people at the game. Half-Price nights do bring in the trouble makers, but they also seem to bring in the beautiful women! My Lord, there were a ton of them all over the place! People say that the Urinal hosts a large number of beautiful women, but anyone at last night's game would agree that the Cell was swarming with gorgeous girls. So I guess with half-price nights you get the good with the bad.

Depsite all the fights, what a game! It was a spectacular way to end the three-game losing streak and brush the sweep in Toronto right out of mind. Let's hope our boys can keep it up this series and into the more important weekend against the Twins.

Go Sox!

HebrewHammer
05-12-2004, 12:55 PM
I was also at the game last night and while I had one of the best baseball experiences of my life I am tired of seeing the fights. I think this is more of a drunken moron problem instead of a Cubs fan problem(or are they one in the same?). I think a lot of casual fans go to games just to drink, if the current situation on the northside isn't evidence of that I don't know what is. It's socially acceptable to drink heavily at sporting events, you're not a drunk if your doing it at a game, you're just "having a good time." I really think there needs to be stricter policing of alcohol, maybe vendors shouldn't serve guys who are clearly tanked, maybe a PSA, I don't know, but if the Sox are ever going to draw this needs to stop. I'm tired of seeing it, it seems to get worse every year.

cheeses_h_rice
05-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Another suggestion: how about a few well placed surveillance cameras on the entire outfield seating area? Maybe the threat of arrest and prosecution might deter some of these momos from acting a fool.

stockonline2
05-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Fights will occur, no matter what at baseball games. I, personally, can't stand the fights getting more attention than the game at hand. Beer and baseball mix with severe side effects. I was at the game and was shocked by the amount of fighting, but I had fun watching a guy who suckerpunched a guy from behind get his butt tackled over three rows and then pummeled. :D:

RedPinStripes
05-12-2004, 03:02 PM
I've never been thrown out of the park for fighting, but I would love for a Cub fan to cheap shot me when i had nothing to do with a fight. I'd would be happy to make the 10:00 news if the story was told the right way.

:giangreco
"Sox fan runs down the ramp with a crack pipe sticking out of his mouth and viciously attacks a cub fan".

That's how the story would end up unfortunatly.

petekat
05-12-2004, 03:16 PM
from my seat behind the sox dugout, saw Valentin alert security to a drunk, nice to see players using their clout with team staff (even during a game!!) to ensure a safe environment for fans-

begs the question, shouldnt security be a bit more proactive?

patbooyah
05-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Another suggestion: how about a few well placed surveillance cameras on the entire outfield seating area? Maybe the threat of arrest and prosecution might deter some of these momos from acting a fool.

but then theres the obvious problem that the obscene amount of food i eat will be documented.

kevingrt
05-12-2004, 05:00 PM
There are serious problems with both the security in the park and the people that enter the park. It was very ugly last night sitting in section 159. Way too many people had way to many beers and in about 6 fights that broke out only about 3 had security guards come by. This is a major problem.

Whether the Sox have to keep on spending more on security, stopping beer after 5th inning, or charging more for tickets they have to do something.

It was very ugly and it was no way to watch a White Sox game.

I have no problem with fans getting riled up and excited, however profanity and fist fights are not needed in a baseball park. It's completely disgusting!

The thing the Whtie Sox probably will do and I can already see it coming up next year, canning half price monday and tuesdays

Hondo
05-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by HebrewHammer
I was also at the game last night and while I had one of the best baseball experiences of my life I am tired of seeing the fights. I think this is more of a drunken moron problem instead of a Cubs fan problem(or are they one in the same?). I think a lot of casual fans go to games just to drink, if the current situation on the northside isn't evidence of that I don't know what is. It's socially acceptable to drink heavily at sporting events, you're not a drunk if your doing it at a game, you're just "having a good time." I really think there needs to be stricter policing of alcohol, maybe vendors shouldn't serve guys who are clearly tanked, maybe a PSA, I don't know, but if the Sox are ever going to draw this needs to stop. I'm tired of seeing it, it seems to get worse every year.

First off I haven't told you how great your handle is yet...so....you gotta pretty great handle.

Anyway. Is it me or do you not understand why some feel they have to get "lit" before a game? I love baseball more than anything and I treat it with reverence every time I go to see the White Sox play. I like to drink as much as the next guy but Jesus, I mean I want to remember what the hell happened and get my money's worth. Same thing with concerts. I could never understand drinking so much beforehand and have to be carried in and out of the venue.

I'll be at the Saturday and Sunday games and hope the focus will turn back to BASEBALL

Cheat-As a baseball fan I'm embarrassed for the behavior of those guys and hope you not only get reimbursed but those goons get theirs.

mann
05-12-2004, 05:59 PM
This is a tough issue. I live in Seattle and while Safeco Field is generally very well attended the atmosphere is crap. No one knows what's going on, no one knows baseball, no one has any energy. When I bring fellow Sox fans over for their series here they are consistantly amazed about how fast and hard security comes down just for enthusiastic cheering or even standing. Of course the fights have to go, but be careful what you wish for - It's completely dead here.

batmanZoSo
05-12-2004, 07:30 PM
People make me sick. I don't want these people as Sox fans.

CHISOXFAN13
05-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
There are serious problems with both the security in the park and the people that enter the park. It was very ugly last night sitting in section 159. Way too many people had way to many beers and in about 6 fights that broke out only about 3 had security guards come by. This is a major problem.

Whether the Sox have to keep on spending more on security, stopping beer after 5th inning, or charging more for tickets they have to do something.

It was very ugly and it was no way to watch a White Sox game.

I have no problem with fans getting riled up and excited, however profanity and fist fights are not needed in a baseball park. It's completely disgusting!

The thing the Whtie Sox probably will do and I can already see it coming up next year, canning half price monday and tuesdays

If they didn't do it after last year's Tuesday night debacles at KC, don't expect them to do it now.

Hangar18
05-13-2004, 08:42 AM
I made it real simple for security. Told them to just keep an
eye on anyone Wearing Cubjunk, where they go, trouble always seems to follow

* Cub fan runs on field attacks Randy Myers
* Cub fan wants Dodger hat, steals from players causing fight
* 4 cub fans attend sox game after watching cubs earlier...
and run on the field
* Cub fan leaves game gets into fight w other cub fan outside park, resulting in murder

Hangar18
05-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Not to mention this past Tuesday, Numerous CubFans, in cub regalia and perhaps Emboldened (never seen them this bold before) by the prospect of their "historic" season, choosing to attend another teams park and Incite fans with "cubbies-cubbies" chants, swearing, instigating arguments/fights.

sas1974
05-13-2004, 09:09 AM

I know that you mean in plain sight, as a visual deterrent, but there actually is full surveillance throughout the park. They can supposedly see any seat in the park at any time.

cheeses_h_rice
05-13-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
I know that you mean in plain sight, as a visual deterrent, but there actually is full surveillance throughout the park. They can supposedly see any seat in the park at any time.

Really? I didn't know that. So, do Sox security just wait for someone to get killed before doing anything with this "evidence"?

Hangar18
05-13-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by sas1974

yes! this is true......they have a secret "war-room" of sorts in the bowels of the park. there are numerous tv screens, trained on every part of the park. They also have a mini police station and lock-up down there too. Long story why I was there, I'll have to tell that sometime, I made sox security look like jerks.

sas1974
05-13-2004, 09:15 AM
Really? I didn't know that. So, do Sox security just wait for someone to get killed before doing anything with this "evidence"?

I heard it on one of those season tix holder tours of the park. I have also heard Hawk and DJ mention it on air. I guess the key to the equation is that someone actually has to be paying attention to the monitors for it to be effective.

chidonez
05-13-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by mann
This is a tough issue. I live in Seattle and while Safeco Field is generally very well attended the atmosphere is crap. No one knows what's going on, no one knows baseball, no one has any energy. When I bring fellow Sox fans over for their series here they are consistantly amazed about how fast and hard security comes down just for enthusiastic cheering or even standing. Of course the fights have to go, but be careful what you wish for - It's completely dead here.

Seattle used to throw out fans for wearing "Yankees Suck" t-shirts. That's a bit extreme. On the other hand, that suits the NW character. Seattlites are adverse to hooliganism in general (except when they riot over the WTO or on New Years in Pioneer Square).