PDA

View Full Version : Nearly 9000 walk-up tonight

Bisco Stu
05-12-2004, 12:33 AM
Good to see folks supporting a first-place franchise in Chicago.

Also read Harriston Jr. had a "cheering section" (he's from suburban Chi). Hope they got doused with beer when they cheered his single.

Congrats to Manos on his career 200th.

gosox3072
05-12-2004, 12:37 AM
1 of those was me! :D:

Im sure this was because 1. First home game since College is out 2. Half Price night and 3. it was a BEAUTIFUL night

VeeckAsInWreck
05-12-2004, 12:38 AM
Official attendance at the park was 20,400. Not bad for a Tuesday night.

I wish I could have been there. For those who were, did you see any fights? I talked to some people on the Orange line who went to the game and they said there was a big fight in the CF concourse. Apparently some sCrUB fans were getting beat up :?:

Let's all get along!!!!

SoxxoS
05-12-2004, 12:39 AM
It looked like 27-30,000 on TV...the bleachers looked packed.

Only 20,400? I am shocked.

skobabe8
05-12-2004, 12:43 AM
I was there and it seemed like there were at least 3 or 4 different fights in the bleachers (I was in RF). I could be wrong....

chisox06
05-12-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
It looked like 27-30,000 on TV...the bleachers looked packed.

Only 20,400? I am shocked.

Cutting out the 6,000+ seats seems to give the park a much fuller look. All I know is that other than opening day that park had some electricity in it, as it always does when we get 20,000 plus in there.

patbooyah
05-12-2004, 12:47 AM
i, too, was one of those 6000.

i am home for one more week and i plan on attending every game between now and when the sox leave town. it was a lot of fun.

joeynach
05-12-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck

I wish I could have been there. For those who were, did you see any fights? I talked to some people on the Orange line who went to the game and they said there was a big fight in the CF concourse. Apparently some sCrUB fans were getting beat up :?:

Let's all get along!!!!

Yeah there was actually multiple fights out in the left center field area. I was getting beer and the guy in front of me said he was sitting right next to where it happened. It was basically a loser in a cubs jeresy standing up and eggin every on, drunk of course. Then people shouted at him and maybe some beer was exchanged and then it broke out into a fight. Happened more than once with the SCRUB fans showing up decked out in cubs gear and rowding everyone up by standing and shouting. These people are straight up losers. Other than that this was a great game. my 1st of they year since i got home from college. Good crowd too.

DrCrawdad
05-12-2004, 12:54 AM
I made my first appearance at The Cell this evening. I too was one of the many walk-ups. I plan on going on Wednesday night as well.

I sat in the upper deck, section 530. There were several upheavals in the left-field bleachers and I think one in right-center, but I'm not sure as I could not clearly see was was going on.

Awesome game! The park looks fantastic!

DrCrawdad
05-12-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
Yeah there was actually multiple fights out in the left center field area. I was getting beer and the guy in front of me said he was sitting right next to where it happened. It was basically a loser in a cubs jeresy standing up and eggin every on, drunk of course. Then people shouted at him and maybe some beer was exchanged and then it broke out into a fight. Happened more than once with the SCRUB fans showing up decked out in cubs gear and rowding everyone up by standing and shouting. These people are straight up losers. Other than that this was a great game. my 1st of they year since i got home from college. Good crowd too.

As I was leaving after the game, I heard a Cubbie fan shouting to no one in particular about the Cubbies. At that time people just ignored the doofas.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-12-2004, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I made my first appearance at The Cell this evening. I too was one of the many walk-ups. I plan on going on Wednesday night as well.

I sat in the upper deck, section 530. There were several upheavals in the left-field bleachers and I think one in right-center, but I'm not sure as I could not clearly see was was going on.

Awesome game! The park looks fantastic!

It is great isn't it? Also the place is much louder and energetic. At the coldass sat game against tb i couldn't believe the volume of noise

inta
05-12-2004, 01:52 AM
so the sox sell out the lower bowl with lower prices.

i wonder what they could do with lowered UD prices at every game....

skobabe8
05-12-2004, 01:59 AM
I saw 2 or 3 guys in Cub paraphanalia around the box office before the game. Reeeeeaaal smart!!

mdep524
05-12-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by joeynach

Yeah, I was sitting literally right across the aisle from the Scrub fan in the bleachers. He was asking for it- he kept standing up, turning around and shouting about the Cubs, Wrigley, etc. So a lot of people started throwing stuff at him, things started to get heated and then when the security guards came down a guy behind him dumped beer on his head- right in front of the guards. So they tried to throw punches for a while and then were both kicked out.

SSN721
05-12-2004, 05:59 AM
My friend and I were sitting in the CF fan deck for the whole game. Very nice up there, new favorite area of the park. We also met a fellow WSIer, Gammons Peter was up there. It was my first meeting with a member here and it was a lot of fun. There were 3 fights by my recollection, 2 in the bleachers and one in the right field seats. Other than that it was an abslute perfect evening weatherwise. It looked that there were at least 20000 there, the lower bowl was mainly full except the corners by the foul poles. Great crowd though, great time. Plan on going to thursdays game. ANd hopefully we can carry it til Saturday for the Twins game I am going to. :D:

gosox41
05-12-2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by skobabe8
I was there and it seemed like there were at least 3 or 4 different fights in the bleachers (I was in RF). I could be wrong....

There was a big fight in LF. I was too far away to see what was going on. Anyone get close to this?

Bob

BeerHandle
05-12-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Good to see folks supporting a first-place franchise in Chicago.

Also read Harriston Jr. had a "cheering section" (he's from suburban Chi). Hope they got doused with beer when they cheered his single.

Congrats to Manos on his career 200th.

It sounded like the crowd was rocking!

jabrch
05-12-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck

Let's all get along!!!!

I saw 4 of them - no idea what happened, I was behind home plate.

jabrch
05-12-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by inta
so the sox sell out the lower bowl with lower prices.

i wonder what they could do with lowered UD prices at every game....

Call Granton Marketing (see my thread to get the #) and buy the 1/2 price sheets for the UD - get 4 tickets for $1 each, and 18 half price coupons for only $29. Then the UD will be halfprice!

DaveIsHere
05-12-2004, 08:25 AM
What is up with the Cubs fans coming and causing trouble, you never here that in the news about how some Cub fan were starting fights at the Sox game, keep them out remember how much our stadium sucks, STAY OUT SCRUBBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E Coast Sox Fan
05-12-2004, 08:50 AM
FYI -

Larry Bigbie is a local kid and a Sox fan as well. I think he's from nothern Indiana. He wears number three because he grew up with Harold Baines as his idol.

GoSox2K3
05-12-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Nearly 9000 walk-up tonight: Good to see folks supporting a first-place franchise in Chicago.

It's ok for the media to ignore the Sox because nobody goes to their games. Why won't Sox Fans support their team? They'd have a better turnout if their seats were green.....

HomerCoach
05-12-2004, 09:10 AM
Why ruin a good crowd and 15-0 victory with talk of scrub fans and fights?

jackbrohamer
05-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
My friend and I were sitting in the CF fan deck for the whole game. Very nice up there, new favorite area of the park. We also met a fellow WSIer, Gammons Peter was up there.

I was up there for a couple of innings, it is a great place to watch a game.

For all the carping Sox management does about attendance, would it kill them to open up a couple more ticket windows for days like yesterday when they can expect a big walk-up crowd? Some of the lines I went by looked about 50-people deep

chisoxmike
05-12-2004, 12:17 PM
I have to say that last night was a great game to go to. Good ol sec 149 was great, and I loved everything about the game (except for the fights, and all the Cubs fans---find a life people) Parking lots were insane after the game but fun, you would've thought that the Sox won the central last night walking out of there. (Oh to dream) I had a lot of fun, the most fun i've had at a game in a while.

I'm going to the game Friday night vs. the Twins. I can only expect the crowds to get bigger and games even more fun.

GO SOX!!!!!!