PDA

View Full Version : So I guess Joe Cowley doesn't like Toronto


Win1ForMe
05-12-2004, 01:30 AM
I got this from the ESPN Sox page:

According to The Toronto Sun, Blue Jays president Paul Godfrey felt a reporter covering the White Sox overstepped the bounds this past weekend. Joe Cowley, a writer with the Daily Southtown in Chicago, got on a few people's nerves with a radio rant that disparaged Toronto and then followed that up with the classless act of refusing to stand for Canada's national anthem. Godfrey was upset enough that he sent the Sox beat writer a letter and had the Blue Jays public relations department send one to his publisher.

batmanZoSo
05-12-2004, 01:35 AM
He's an idiot. He and Mariotti should hang out some time.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-12-2004, 01:40 AM
Looks like we found Ed Farmer's drinking buddy! :D:

WinningUgly!
05-12-2004, 01:48 AM
No surprise here. Joe Cowley's classlessness has already been displayed on this board.

StockdaleForVeep
05-12-2004, 01:49 AM
to quote robin williams
"Canada is like that apartment right above a really good party..ya know "keep it down down there eh!"

Huisj
05-12-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
No surprise here. Joe Cowley's classlessness has already been displayed on this board.

when has this been? I've mostly heard positive things about the sox coverage in the southtown on this board. i could be wrong though. . . :?:

owensmouth
05-12-2004, 03:54 AM
One need only listen to our dear friends from up north when the Star Spangled Banner is played at a hockey game. They treat it with contempt. Turn about is fair play,

beckett21
05-12-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Huisj
when has this been? I've mostly heard positive things about the sox coverage in the southtown on this board. i could be wrong though. . . :?:

It has nothing to do with his Sox coverage, and everything to do with his own personal conduct on this site.

Baby Fisk
05-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
One need only listen to our dear friends from up north when the Star Spangled Banner is played at a hockey game. They treat it with contempt. Turn about is fair play,

For the record, it is the moronic fans of Montreal who boo the American anthem. We folks in Toronto never hurt nobody... :(:

beckett21
05-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
For the record, it is the moronic fans of Montreal who boo the American anthem. We folks in Toronto never hurt nobody... :(:

Yeah, when are you guys actually going to cut the cord with those idiots, eh? :D:

jackbrohamer
05-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by beckett21
It has nothing to do with his Sox coverage, and everything to do with his own personal conduct on this site.

His posts here were not only classless, they made me question his sanity. If it was actually him; he used the name "joecowley" or something similar.

beckett21
05-12-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
His posts here were not only classless, they made me question his sanity. If it was actually him; he used the name "joecowley" or something similar.


Here's a fine example of his writing acumen. Out of fairness, I have no personal knowledge that it was actually him.

But it seemed to be universally believed that it was.

Not-so-nice post here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=361160#post361160)

pudge
05-12-2004, 01:19 PM
I should dig up old posts where I expressed disgust over Cowley's columns long before he made those pathetic remarks on WSI.... I'm glad it's now clear to everyone that he's a scumbag of a reporter (and possibly of a person).

MarqSox
05-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
One need only listen to our dear friends from up north when the Star Spangled Banner is played at a hockey game. They treat it with contempt. Turn about is fair play,
Turnabout IS fair play that's why they booed. In 2002, "Oh Canada" was booed prior to TWO New York Islanders games!
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/020429/6/m2m0.html

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CP) - New York fans steadily booed the Canadian national anthem prior the Islanders' 5-3 win over the Toronto Maple Leafs on Sunday night. As Jamie Lynn Sigler, an actress on the hit show The Sopranos, began singing O Canada, fans began too boo lightly. As she continued, the boos got louder, drowning out the words, and when she finished the anthem, the fans gave her a mixture of boos and cheers.

The jeering didn't stop until she started singing Star Spangled Banner, the U.S. anthem.

In response, Maple Leafs president Ken Dryden sang O Canada aloud in the press box.

It was the second time in three playoff games Islanders fans booed O Canada. It was also booed before Game 3 on Long Island.

robertks61
05-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
One need only listen to our dear friends from up north when the Star Spangled Banner is played at a hockey game. They treat it with contempt. Turn about is fair play,



Yes, they booed The Star Spangled Banner at a Hockey game over a year ago.

34 Inch Stick
05-13-2004, 10:29 AM
I'm shocked Joe hasn't responded yet. The mere mention of his name usually brings him onto this board. He increases his readership by 100% by posting on WSI.

beckett21
05-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I'm shocked Joe hasn't responded yet. The mere mention of his name usually brings him onto this board. He increases his readership by 100% by posting on WSI.

I'm fairly certain he has been banned from posting due to his last stunt, of which people are only seeing the edited version now.

I think he may still lurk here though, so it just makes it that much more funny that he can't respond and defend his wretched pathetic self. Of course, he defends himself at a junior-high school level, so he would just be making himself look worse.

I'm not a moderator, so I really don't know for sure. Just putting 2+2 together.

If you can't conduct yourself like an adult, that's what you get. He should consider himself fortunate he can't make more of a fool of himself. Way to be a professional pal.

mantis1212
05-13-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
I'm fairly certain he has been banned from posting due to his last stunt, of which people are only seeing the edited version now.

I think he may still lurk here though, so it just makes it that much more funny that he can't respond and defend his wretched pathetic self. Of course, he defends himself at a junior-high school level, so he would just be making himself look worse.

I'm not a moderator, so I really don't know for sure. Just putting 2+2 together.

If you can't conduct yourself like an adult, that's what you get. He should consider himself fortunate he can't make more of a fool of himself. Way to be a professional pal.

This whole thing with Cowley seems a little sketchy. First of all if he wanted to come back on he would just have to come up with another user name right?

Also, how dumb would he have to be to come on this board using his real name and act like that? I don't buy it, I really don't think it was him. If I wanted to come on here and pretend I was Mariotti, I wonder how many people I would fool...

beckett21
05-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
This whole thing with Cowley seems a little sketchy. First of all if he wanted to come back on he would just have to come up with another user name right?

Also, how dumb would he have to be to come on this board using his real name and act like that? I don't buy it, I really don't think it was him. If I wanted to come on here and pretend I was Mariotti, I wonder how many people I would fool...

You could be right.

In complete fairness, I have no idea. So I would have to agree with you just in the sense that I don't have access to that type of information.

The moderators would know for sure, or at least have a better idea. No way I know for sure. They may not even be sure. Just going by the consensus (which is not always right).

Now if he used his southtown email address to sign in....that may be the answer.

I'm just going by the accounts of others who's opinions I respect here.

Again I don't know. I'm not privy to those things.

jackbrohamer
05-13-2004, 12:56 PM
The main reason I believe it was actually Cowley is because he used that as his name, he suggested he was actually Cowley in his posts, and his last post reflected what appeared to be genuine anger at remarks made about Cowley. I guess it could have been a Cowley fanatic who becomes furious whenever anybody speaks poorly of Cowley, but that seems more of a stretch.

beckett21
05-13-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
The main reason I believe it was actually Cowley is because he used that as his name, he suggested he was actually Cowley in his posts, and his last post reflected what appeared to be genuine anger at remarks made about Cowley. I guess it could have been a Cowley fanatic who becomes furious whenever anybody speaks poorly of Cowley, but that seems more of a stretch.

That is what I was going on, along with the comments of others like Lip who has met him personally.

FWIW

MarqSox
05-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
That is what I was going on, along with the comments of others like Lip who has met him personally.

FWIW
This crap he pulled in Toronto only adds to that reputation of his.

beckett21
05-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
This crap he pulled in Toronto only adds to that reputation of his.

Exactly.