PDA

View Full Version : Trade deadline speculation

Mohoney
05-12-2004, 01:10 AM
Who would you like to see us pick up at the trade deadline (assuming we are still at or near 1st place)?

Who do you think would be available?

What would be the price?

Predict and prognosticate here:

Maybe Al Leiter? Ben Sheets?

SoxxoS
05-12-2004, 01:41 AM
I think Leiter is the main guy that is in the realm of possibility of getting. I don't think he would be opposed to coming to Chicago..but I am not him so I don't know that. He does have the power to veto, I believe.

He would also be owed about 5 million at the time we would pick him up so...

:reinsy

"Your what hurts?"

lowesox
05-12-2004, 01:54 AM
I really want this team to be Dynasty-caliber. I think there's a great nucleus of young guys like Olivo, Crede, Harris, Gload (?), Uribe, Lee, Reed, Diaz, Garland, Buerle, Adkins, Marte and Cotts to build around.

So I don't want to mortgage the future. I want to be able to watch a 'playoff team' for the next 5-6 years. In fact, this deadline, I'd really like to see moves that go beyond just improving for the playoffs. I'd like to see us trade for players who are about to enter their prime who still have years on their contract, even if it means trading unlikely people.

FOr instance, if we're in first place at the trading deadline, and we still haven't re-signed Maggs I would be VERY open to moving him if we could get 2-3 good younger players in return. Same thing with Loaiza.

gosox41
05-12-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
I really want this team to be Dynasty-caliber. I think there's a great nucleus of young guys like Olivo, Crede, Harris, Gload (?), Uribe, Lee, Reed, Diaz, Garland, Buerle, Adkins, Marte and Cotts to build around.

So I don't want to mortgage the future. I want to be able to watch a 'playoff team' for the next 5-6 years. In fact, this deadline, I'd really like to see moves that go beyond just improving for the playoffs. I'd like to see us trade for players who are about to enter their prime who still have years on their contract, even if it means trading unlikely people.

FOr instance, if we're in first place at the trading deadline, and we still haven't re-signed Maggs I would be VERY open to moving him if we could get 2-3 good younger players in return. Same thing with Loaiza.

I want to win now. Look at the core from the 2000 team. I'm still waiting for a return trip to the playoffs with that core. I want to win now. If the Sox are legitimately in contention and the right player is available, I'd give up the talent to win.

Of course the right player is hard to identify. But I don't think there's going to be any dynasty's built around Ross Gload, Adkins, and Lee.

Bob

Maximo
05-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Carlos Beltran

Al Leiter or Freddy Garcia

A Closer....any Closer

Any or all of the above....whatever the cost.

If I was 20 years younger.......I'd think differently and use the "let's don't mortgage the future" line. But I've been waiting for a repeat since '59....and I'm tired of waiting.

Brian26
05-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Rosenblum this morning suggested the following names:

Beltran

Glavine

Everyday Eddie

beckett21
05-12-2004, 10:29 AM
Freddy Garcia/Randy Winn, and Ugueth Urbina.

hold2dibber
05-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by beckett21

Me likey. I wonder what it would take to get Garcia and Winn. The Mariners obviously need to get younger and improve their line-up. If you throw in Guardardo instead of going for Urbina, maybe something like:

Garcia
Winn
Guardado

for

Cotts (or Munoz)
Borchard
Wunsch

Would that be enough? Maybe not - Winn and Guardado, I believe, both have another year on their deals after this year, so they wouldn't be just rent-a-players. Might also have to throw in Adkins and/or a lower level position player. Or maybe even Harris.

But this would look nice:

Harris 2B
Winn CF
Ordonez RF
Thomas DH
Lee LF
Valentin SS
Konerko 1B
Crede 3B
Olivo C

Loaiza
Buehrle
Garcia
Schoenweiss
Garland

Guardado
Marte
Politte
Takatsu
Koch
Munoz

pjthesox13
05-12-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Me likey. I wonder what it would take to get Garcia and Winn. The Mariners obviously need to get younger and improve their line-up. If you throw in Guardardo instead of going for Urbina, maybe something like:

Garcia
Winn
Guardado

for

Cotts (or Munoz)
Borchard
Wunsch

Would that be enough? Maybe not - Winn and Guardado, I believe, both have another year on their deals after this year, so they wouldn't be just rent-a-players. Might also have to throw in Adkins and/or a lower level position player. Or maybe even Harris.

But this would look nice:

Harris 2B
Winn CF
Ordonez RF
Thomas DH
Lee LF
Valentin SS
Konerko 1B
Crede 3B
Olivo C

Loaiza
Buehrle
Garcia
Schoenweiss
Garland

Guardado
Marte
Politte
Takatsu
Koch
Munoz

What about Raul Ibanez over Randy Winn?

Ibanez is not bad either but I don't know how long his contract is for. I also could see moving Konerko or Lee to make things with the Mariners happen. Thoughts?

beckett21
05-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by pjthesox13
What about Raul Ibanez over Randy Winn?

Ibanez is not bad either but I don't know how long his contract is for. I also could see moving Konerko or Lee to make things with the Mariners happen. Thoughts?

Winn would fill our hole in CF. I don't know the contract status of either Winn or Ibanez off the top of my head. My thinking is that they would offer up Winn more readily than Ibanez. Also, I don't know if this is pretty much pointless to mention, but they supposedly have interest in bringing Griffey back, so they really wouldn't need Winn if that were the case. Again it's all speculation.

The M's are looking for a young power hitter and Lee may fit the bill. I have no idea who they have in terms of prospects, who they would put in CF, etc. I'm thinking they would want someone like Borchard and a SP prospect. They may go for Paulie as well, who knows.

As for hold2dibber's thought about Guardado, that's another good idea.

Randar68
05-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by beckett21

I think we have alot more options now than before. If they want to do a Jose/Uribe middle IF and have Harris as a the primary CF'er, I'm ok with that until Reed comes in if he does.

Garcia (if they didn't resign him, they'd get 2 draft picks out of it)

A Closer (Smoltz???? Wagner??? Urbina??? or someone from a team out of contention?)

My priorities are in this order:

- top of the rotation starter (a legit #1 or #2 pitcher: RJ, Garcia, Livan Hernandez)
- Closer (although raises the question of how to handle Koch since he's worthless unless he is the closer)
- Beltran ONLY if they sign him or don't give up much in the way of prospects (again, 2 draft picks in return)
- Griffey if they can get Cinci to eat a hefty part of the contract. JR LOVES deferred $$$$. (allows them to trade Lee or move him to 1st base allowing for Reed to play his more natural LF and you can DH Griffey when needed)

My biggest concerns are definitely in the pitching staff. Long term, they need to dump Konerko and find a replacement at 1B, they already have too many base-cloggers.

akingamongstmen
05-12-2004, 01:02 PM
There's no way we're getting anybody like Smoltz or Wagner. I do think our best bet for bullpen help is Guardado. The deals mentioned above all seem plausible, especially if Seattle continues to fall apart. We will have to give them something decent though (probably Carlos Lee...which I wouldn't be opposed to doing). I think Guardado and a SP (not Glavine, PLEASE not Glavine) would really help the team out a lot. I'm not so sure about Griffey or Randy Winn.

pjthesox13
05-12-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by akingamongstmen
There's no way we're getting anybody like Smoltz or Wagner. I do think our best bet for bullpen help is Guardado. The deals mentioned above all seem plausible, especially if Seattle continues to fall apart. We will have to give them something decent though (probably Carlos Lee...which I wouldn't be opposed to doing). I think Guardado and a SP (not Glavine, PLEASE not Glavine) would really help the team out a lot. I'm not so sure about Griffey or Randy Winn.

I agree with everyone thought's on Guardado. He could be a good pickup for here. I do have to agree about Glavine here though, I don't think he has the same stuff as before and bringing him to the AL where he has to face 9 hitters could defintely hurt him more. I do think Winn could be a choice here because he isn't that bad of a player, maybe all he needs is to switch his surroundings and could fit the slot that Lee would leave behind just fine.

Lip Man 1
05-12-2004, 01:23 PM
I recommend reading Rosenbloom's column, it puts into context very well this idea about 'great' young Sox pitching arms.

Lip

Randar68
05-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I recommend reading Rosenbloom's column, it puts into context very well this idea about 'great' young Sox pitching arms.

Lip

Sorry Lip, but who's post or idea are you referring to?

All young players to you are turds, so arguing one extreme with the other helps who again?

Win1ForMe
05-12-2004, 01:29 PM
I guess the most important part is identifying which position(s) is/are most in need of improvement. To me, it's almost a tie between bullpen and starters. On one hand, we might not see the playoffs without a legitimate closer, but then we might not win anything when we get there without a top shelf starter. Personally, if I had to pick only one, I'd rather get a good closer.

It's also very hard predicting which teams might be out of contention. Randar mentioned Wagner, and the Phillies were bad early, but I think they'll probably stay in the race. Atlanta might fold but is Smoltz healthy? Looking at his numbers, he hasn't been as dominating this year.

And if the Mariners still suck by July, would fat Eddie be available? He just signed a 3-year/$13M deal which I think the Sox would take (seeing as how they'll be looking for a closer next season anyway), but would the Mariners dump him that quickly?

As far as starters, I would not take a pitcher unless he's a #1 (that means no to Kip Wells and Kris Benson). Leiter, Glavine, Garcia, and Randy Johnson (although with the exception of Garcia, all have big contracts) would be pretty nice to get. Who knows, maybe if Oakland falls out of contention they'll trade off one of their great pitchers.

pjthesox13
05-12-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
As far as starters, I would not take a pitcher unless he's a #1 (that means no to Kip Wells and Kris Benson). Leiter, Glavine, Garcia, and Randy Johnson (although with the exception of Garcia, all have big contracts) would be pretty nice to get. Who knows, maybe if Oakland falls out of contention they'll trade off one of their great pitchers.

The Oakland Pitchers won't be moving anytime soon, they have them locked in till something like 2006 and then they will maybe think about moving one of them. Garcia is our best choice if Johnson won't move. Is Arizona looking to move him? I know they are out of contention now but being the west could mean a move back up by the All star break.

SoxxoS
05-12-2004, 02:58 PM
The Oakland Pitchers won't be moving anytime soon, they have them locked in till something like 2006 and then they will maybe think about moving one of them. Garcia is our best choice if Johnson won't move. Is Arizona looking to move him? I know they are out of contention now but being the west could mean a move back up by the All star break.

I thought Hudson or Mulder was a FA soon..???

pjthesox13
05-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I thought Hudson or Mulder was a FA soon..???

Just found it on this website, (Very Cool Website by the Way)

Hudson through 2005 opition excercised

Mulder and Zito through 2006 if opitions chosen.

http://www.bluemanc.demon.co.uk/baseball/mlbcontracts.htm

SoxxoS
05-12-2004, 03:17 PM
So that means in 2007, we will have all 3?

E Coast Sox Fan
05-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Can Uribe play center? He's got a gun...

and it seems like he's got wheels.

SoxxoS
05-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by E Coast Sox Fan

Yeah I didn't mention that...his arm is awesome from third. He pats the glove after he catches it, and just fires a cannon. His arm looked a little stronger than Crede's, at least on MLBTV.

pjthesox13
05-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by E Coast Sox Fan

He has an arm but I don't think it's a CF arm.

lowesox
05-12-2004, 03:28 PM
I think we should consider bringing Reed up in the next few weeks to see if we need to deal for a CF. Then bat him ninth while he gets used to being at the show.

We'll probably need a starting pitcher, but like I said before, it would be nice to get a player who won't just be a rental. But then again, maybe Diaz will be the man.

SEALgep
05-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Freddy Garcia would be ideal. We have a pretty decent shot at extending him too.

Randar68
05-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Freddy Garcia would be ideal. We have a pretty decent shot at extending him too.

I have agreed with both SEALgep and Soxxos in the same day!

SHEEEESH! Somebody call Hell and ask for the weather forcast! :)

lowesox
05-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Actually, you agree with me too then Randar because I'd love to see Garcia on the south side.

Hope this doesn't ruin your day.

SoxxoS
05-12-2004, 03:43 PM

Seal and I are both ASU guys, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. We are both very, very intelligent, obviously. :D:

Randar68
05-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Seal and I are both ASU guys, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. We are both very, very intelligent, obviously. :D:

Well, you like to party, anyways... We'll reserve jusgement on the rest ;-)

mantis1212
05-12-2004, 05:18 PM

I think I read that Randy Johnson is guaranteed $33MM over the next 2 years, and he's 41. IMO that's too much money and too big of a risk. I love the idea of Garcia coming over...

Randar68
05-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
I think I read that Randy Johnson is guaranteed $33MM over the next 2 years, and he's 41. IMO that's too much money and too big of a risk. I love the idea of Garcia coming over...

Arizona would clearly have to eat part of that contract, but Roger Clemons is not having any problems, is he?

Hondo
05-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Arizona would clearly have to eat part of that contract, but Roger Clemons is not having any problems, is he?

No. But Clemmens is in much better shape and going to end his career as a top 5 all time pitcher. RJ is first ballot but he's not Clemmens.

That being said. He'd definitely slid in and probably become our no 1. starter...maybe no. 2

mantis1212
05-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Two different guys- RJ broke down a little bit last year I believe