PDA

View Full Version : Robin Ventura?

beckett21
05-11-2004, 07:42 PM
Bruce Levine has been talking about the Sox possibly reacquiring Robin Ventura as a backup.

Thoughts???

gogosoxgogo
05-11-2004, 07:44 PM
I did it in my video game and it has worked out very well for me.

In all seriousness... YES! Do it! It would be a great PR move AND Ventura would provide with a solid left handed bat off the bench. He can play both 1st and 3rd (Uribe is our only backup at third and he's never played there before this season) and would be a great guy to have in the clubhouse. Unfortunately, that would likely mean the end of the Ross Gload era which was a lot better than anyone expected. I definatelty do it, though. The price shouldn't be too high.

beckett21
05-11-2004, 07:47 PM
It was very nonspecific talk from what I heard. He also had a snippet of KW saying he wanted to be *ultra-aggressive* in improving the club. Of course he didn't mention any specifics, and said with it only being mid-May it would take some time for some teams to start to fall out of contention.

But it was very clear that he is looking to make some moves, as we would all expect.

southsidegirl
05-11-2004, 07:51 PM
YAY!

LongLiveFisk
05-11-2004, 07:52 PM
I would LOVE to see Robin in a Sox uniform again!

:)

Corlose 15
05-11-2004, 07:55 PM
Then we can put Ozzie at Short, Cora at 2B and Frank at first.

It'll be 1993 all over again!!!!

Anyone know what Lance Johnson is up to? :)

ChiWhiteSox1337
05-11-2004, 07:55 PM
great idea PR wise for the fans and it makes the team better.

Win1ForMe
05-11-2004, 07:57 PM
If it means taking at-bats from Paul Konerko and/or Joe Crede then I'm all for it.

PaleHoseGeorge
Wouldn't it be ironic that the Sox reacquired the all-star thirdbasemen that they let go via free agency six long years ago, might now come back because the very ballplayer pegged to replace Ventura back in 1998, Joe Crede, has never filled Robin's shoes.

Ah yes, another chapter in The Greatest Story Ever Told.

:gulp:

pearso66
I don't know what his role is right now in LA, but wo uld he be welcome to being a backup? I think it would be great, he could help with the mentoring of Crede, just like Sandy is dion for Olivo

OEO Magglio
05-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
great idea PR wise for the fans and it makes the team better.
Great PR move and then the sox would have an actual back up 3b and a solid lefty bat off the bench, sounds good to me.

beckett21
05-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
If it means taking at-bats from Paul Konerko and/or Joe Crede then I'm all for it.

That was the obvious implication.

Depending on the pricetag, he would be a welcome addition in my book. He still has a little gas left in the tank, and would be a fan favorite. Not that I am for making moves just to appease the masses; I do think he could contribute some value to the club.

vegyrex
05-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Corlose 15

Lets get "Black Jack" McDowell back in there to.

But please NO Dan Pasqua.

maurice
05-11-2004, 08:11 PM
The Dodgers are paying Ventura $1.2 million to be a backup 1B and PH. With Beltre red hot, Ventura hasn't played any 3B this year. He's a great clubhouse guy and a lefty bat who plays solid D at both corner IF spots. As a bonus, he's the all-time favorite player of Mrs. Deuce (or should I say Capt. Deuce?).

Konerko, Valentin, Koch, Wunsch, and Wright for Ventura, Izturis, Mota, Alvarez, and Perez sounds fair to me.

Soxfest
05-11-2004, 08:13 PM
He can play 1st and 3RD and LH pinch hitter if the price is right why not?

A. Cavatica
05-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Konerko, Valentin, Koch, Wunsch, and Wright for Ventura, Izturis, Mota, Alvarez, and Perez sounds fair to me.

Nah, that's one-sided. Leave out Izturis. (Who would want him anyway?) :-)

Brian26
05-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Wouldn't it be ironic that the Sox reacquired the all-star thirdbasemen that they let go via free agency six long years ago, might now come back because the very ballplayer pegged to replace Ventura back in 1998, Joe Crede, has never filled Robin's shoes.

Ah yes, another chapter in The Greatest Story Ever Told.

:gulp:

Ventura wouldn't be coming back to replace Crede. Crede's going to be just fine. Ventura would be coming back to spell Crede at third, spell PK at first, and spell Frank at DH, in addition to providing us with a big bat that can come off the bench, something we sorely are lacking currently. I don't think it's a move to replace a permanent position player as much as a move to strengthen our bench. Robin isn't the same player he was 6 years ago, and he'll be the first to admit it. He can still be dangerous though. It would be a hell of a move.

A. Cavatica
05-11-2004, 09:50 PM
I can't make up my mind on this one: what about Konerko AND his salary straight up for Ventura, who's only making $1.2M this year? We would lose some production at first, but our on-base percentage would actually improve; we'd become more left-handed; we'd (probably) improve the infield defense; we'd add a player who can spell Crede at third; and we'd free up enough cash to fill another hole. Plus, Robin's more popular than PK (with me, anyway).

I imagine the Dodgers would pick up the salary because they're getting a bigger bat, and a younger player; plus they're only giving up a spare part.

I would be heavily in favor of this trade if I could trust the Sox to spend the extra $6M wisely. Unfortunately, I don't...

DrummerGeorgefan
05-11-2004, 10:03 PM
Nancy better start learning 'Rockin Robin' all over again

cubhater
05-11-2004, 10:36 PM
I'd love to see Robin finish his career on the South Side where it started. As others have said, he would come at a cheap price (JR, are you listening?), provide leadership, mentor Crede, and provide some left handed pop off the bench.

Not to bring up the negatives, but would JR bring back someone who was one of the most vocal player against the White Flag trade?

beckett21
05-11-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by cubhater

Not to bring up the negatives, but would JR bring back someone who was one of the most vocal player against the White Flag trade?

What a way to make amends. JR could really use the image boost.

The better question is, would Robin want to play for him?

Whitesox029
05-11-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
Bruce Levine has been talking about the Sox possibly reacquiring Robin Ventura as a backup.

Thoughts???
Bring him on. He's one of my all-time favorite sox players, not to mention a class act. He could also be to Crede what Alomar is to Olivo.

Dub25
05-11-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Corlose 15

I don't know about Lance but I think we could find George Bell at that gas station in his homeland. In would be like that scene in major league 3(yeah that movie sucked but you know you watched it) when the Buzz find Takana or whatever his name is at the putt putt place.

Lip Man 1
05-11-2004, 11:17 PM
I'd love to see Robin back but with the Dodgers in first place would they even be willing to make any moves in the future (i.e. next month?)

Also how much has Robin even been playing for them?

Lip

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Im all for bringing robin back if he comes cheaply. id love to see him finish where it all started (only better then it worked out for scottie pippen)

mdep524
05-11-2004, 11:38 PM

Thoughts???

:D: :D: :D:

One of my favorite Sox players of all time. It'd be nice to see him back in a Sox uniform, with whatever he has left in the tank.

LoveTheSox
05-11-2004, 11:43 PM
If it really happens, and Robin comes back, all I will be able to say is "YAY!" :smile:

bigdommer
05-11-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe

Be careful what you wish for. The Sox might be in 3rd in the Central without Crede.

Brian26
05-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

With Beltre at third and Green at first, he hasn't received that much playing time.

SoxxoS
05-11-2004, 11:56 PM
Please everyone realize that this is Bruce Levine we are talking about.

Thank you.

ma_deuce
05-12-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by maurice
The Dodgers are paying Ventura $1.2 million to be a backup 1B and PH. With Beltre red hot, Ventura hasn't played any 3B this year. He's a great clubhouse guy and a lefty bat who plays solid D at both corner IF spots. As a bonus, he's the all-time favorite player of Mrs. Deuce (or should I say Capt. Deuce?).

If Ventura came back, my wife would catch every Sox game she could. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Deuce

mikef1331
05-12-2004, 01:52 AM
It looks like the Sox are trying to bring back the teams from the early 90's.

The next thing you know Thigpen will come back with a robotic arm to replace Koch.

StockdaleForVeep
05-12-2004, 01:56 AM
Id be all for it but for a limited play role. Like when harold baines played a few seasons ago, i dont think robin has what it takes to help our team offensively, esp with who we got now at the corners but i think Robins knowledge of third base would be invaluable to crede and the rest of the team. Plus, maybe we could add robin as another number to our retired wall and he can leave actually happy to be a white sox(see carlton fisk)

VeeckAsInWreck
05-12-2004, 02:05 AM
If JR won't let Wunsch come back, why not deal him to L.A. for Robin?

I'd love to see Robin back where he belongs!

StockdaleForVeep
05-12-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
If JR won't let Wunsch come back, why not deal him to L.A. for Robin?

I'd love to see Robin back where he belongs!

I wouldnt like to see LA get another good pitcher to make Gagne's life easier.

SSN721
05-12-2004, 08:43 AM
I think it would be a greatplan. Limited role, nice pop to add to the lineup, and fantastic PR move, he was probably one of every Sox fans all time favorites. how could you not like him? ANyway, I think he can still provide valuable service to this team in a limited role, and also agree he would be great for mentoring Crede. I would also be fine with Konerko for him straight up. NQA. Anyway we could get him cheaply would be fine with me. I hope to be at the first game he comes back if we do it, the crowd would blast the new roof off they would cheer so loud for him, love to be there for that. :)

DaveIsHere
05-12-2004, 09:18 AM
GIve them Konerko, I am sure Robin can play First!!

Baby Fisk
05-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Robin's 2004 stats:

G - 18
AB - 27
H - 9
BA - .333
OBP - .400
R - 1
HR - 0
RBI - 6
BB - 3
SO - 3

Railsplitter
05-12-2004, 09:43 AM

Thoughts???

Backup, schmackup, START HIM!

Deadguy
05-12-2004, 11:35 AM
I'd honestly rather see Robin at 1B everyday over Konerko. Neither can hit or run, but at least Robin could provide gold glove calibre defense at 1B.

Now if only we could find a team willing to take on a 0 tool player owed almost 17 millions dollars....

ewokpelts
05-12-2004, 12:35 PM

Thoughts???
I'd do it. Good PR move, and a good veteran presence for Crede. But I guess they'll have to put off retiring Daubach's number then.
Gene

Frater Perdurabo
05-12-2004, 01:11 PM
I think trading Konerko straight up for Ventura would be a great deal.

Short-term benefits: needed LH bat, better D at 1B, popular move with the fans, great for Frank and for clubhouse leadership, allows Frank to play more at 1B, especially against left-handed pitchers and on the road, mentoring of Crede, backup at 3B and DH, allows Gload to get some more ABs if needed.

Long-term benefits: frees up money that would be spent on Konerko's salary in 2005, giving added payroll flexibility to re-sign Maggs.

Would the Dodgers do this deal?

Frater Perdurabo
05-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Also, trading Konerko would free up money to puruse a rent-a-player deal for an ace starting pitcher this year as well, without having to give up as many prospects (because the Sox would not have to insist that the other team pick up that pitcher's salary for the rest of the year).

Wanne
05-12-2004, 01:19 PM
I'd love it!!!....but why would the Dodgers take on Konerko's salary vs Ventura's? Who knows...maybe both sides feel nostalgic about it given that Konerko was originally drafted by the Dodgers and spent the first two or three seasons with the Dodgers organization.

As a mentor to Crede...great...but you've still got the problem of the whole PT for Harris, Uribe, Valentin, Crede...and then Robin. Not a bad problem to have though. I'd definately like to have the left-handed bat off the bench though.

Konerko for Ventura straight up...IN A HEARTBEAT!

PaleHoseGeorge
05-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Wanne

Konerko for Ventura straight up...IN A HEARTBEAT!

Saving the price of Konerko's salary alone makes it worth trading him. The cash saved on his salary gives the Sox payroll headroom to make moves later this season, probably around the July 31 deadline. However, trading Konerko for a ballplayer of some usefulness to the 2004 team is strictly a bonus.

Oh yeah, I would do this deal in a heartbeat.

Baby Fisk
05-12-2004, 01:27 PM
But do the Dodgers want Konerko? What about a certain unappreciated lefty reliever?

hold2dibber
05-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Someone made this suggestion on this board a few months ago and Steff (I believe) indicated that Robin (and, perhaps more importantly, his wife) were very much against leaving Southern California. I'd be shocked if he had a no trade provision in his contract, but if he really is against returning, you'd probably have to take that into consideration before making such a deal.

Paulwny
05-12-2004, 01:28 PM
When he was a yankmee, Ventura stated that he's at the age where he'd only play in NY or a west coast team. Does he still need the money is the question.

Paulwny
05-12-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'd be shocked if he had a no trade provision in his contract, but if he really is against returning, you'd probably have to take that into consideration before making such a deal.

I think I read that if he's traded his contract calls for a few $100,000 increase in salary.

longshot7
05-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Would the Dodgers do this deal?

Given that they have a first baseman, Shawn Green - and two good outfielders, and another cheap one- why would they need another 1B who can't play anywhere else.

If I'm Depodesta, I don't do this deal, unless the sox take Dave Roberts in return. As a Sox fan, let me assure you, Roberts sucks.

Deadguy
05-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by longshot7

If I'm Depodesta, I don't do this deal, unless the sox take Dave Roberts in return. As a Sox fan, let me assure you, Roberts sucks.

It's unlikely any GM would want Konerko, even if it meant unloading a player of their own who is an overpaid waste of a human life.

Konerko has no skills. He's an average fielder at best, the slowest player in baseball, has only hit .300, 30 Hrs, and driven in 100 runs once in his career, disappears for at least one month a season (sometimes longers), and is owed almost 17 million dollars.

Keep it up PK. You're now #2 on my least favorite White Sox list, behind only Navarro. You're not only killing our winning percentage, but you're killing my favorite player's road production.

mdep524
05-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Someone made this suggestion on this board a few months ago and Steff (I believe) indicated that Robin (and, perhaps more importantly, his wife) were very much against leaving Southern California.

That was probably me, since I spent the whole off season saying the Sox should try to dump Konerko and acquire Ventura to start at 1B.

Also, I think last night's game illustrates as well as any of the Corpseball games my point that one of Konerko or Lee needs to go. The Sox scored 15 runs last night--Konerko didn't play and Lee didn't do a damn thing (except make the 1st AND second out of the 7th inning.) Clearly the Sox are as good if not better without these two slugs playing.

hold2dibber
05-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
That was probably me, since I spent the whole off season saying the Sox should try to dump Konerko and acquire Ventura to start at 1B.

Also, I think last night's game illustrates as well as any of the Corpseball games my point that one of Konerko or Lee needs to go. The Sox scored 15 runs last night--Konerko didn't play and Lee didn't do a damn thing (except make the 1st AND second out of the 7th inning.) Clearly the Sox are as good if not better without these two slugs playing.

Are you suggesting that Ross Gload and Timo Perez should be starters instead of Lee and Konerko? I mean, just because the Sox crush the ball in a game in which neither of those guys contributed, that doesn't exactly prove that the Sox "clearly" are better without them playing. You can't really think otherwise, can you? I'd love to move Konerko and I'm not opposed to moving Lee, but that doesn't mean that they're not useful or decent ball players.

mdep524
05-12-2004, 04:09 PM
Are you suggesting that Ross Gload and Timo Perez should be starters instead of Lee and Konerko? I mean, just because the Sox crush the ball in a game in which neither of those guys contributed, that doesn't exactly prove that the Sox "clearly" are better without them playing. You can't really think otherwise, can you? I'd love to move Konerko and I'm not opposed to moving Lee, but that doesn't mean that they're not useful or decent ball players.

No, I do not think Timo Perez should start. Putting Harris in CF is a possibility, as well as calling up Jeremy Reed or making a trade. As for Gload, I am not particularly a Gload "fan," but how could he do any worse than Konerko? he's better defensively, has better plate discipline, has marginally better speed, and its likely he isn't at prone to mental slumps as Konerko. Plus, he's left handed. None of these things make Gload necessarily better than Konerko, but it's enough in my book to bench Konerko and agressive pursue a trade.

I'm not saying the Lee and Konerko aren't useful or decent ballplayers- they are. The problem is, they're useful in an area the Sox already have too much of, and the team needs better balance and flexibility.

depy48
05-12-2004, 05:50 PM
i'd like to have ventura back

Frater Perdurabo
05-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Someone made this suggestion on this board a few months ago and Steff (I believe) indicated that Robin (and, perhaps more importantly, his wife) were very much against leaving Southern California. I'd be shocked if he had a no trade provision in his contract, but if he really is against returning, you'd probably have to take that into consideration before making such a deal.

I also suggested bringing back Ventura several months ago.

Robin really wouldn't come back to the Sox and play for Ozzie and Joey Cora, and with Frank, even for less than a full season? :(: