PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds or Albert Belle?

john2499
05-11-2004, 07:37 PM
I was talking to a Sox buddy of mine and he brought up something that interested me. He said back before the Sox got Albert Belle, JR had asked Frank Thomas who he would rather have join the Sox, Barry Bonds or Belle. Thomas said Belle. That is why Belle was signed. I was boycotting the Sox back then so those the "dark ages" for me. Can anyone confirm or debunk this?

If true it would have been(I 'm pretty sure) the second time the Sox passed on Bonds. I think they picked ahead of Pitt. in '85 or '86.

batmanZoSo
05-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by john2499
I was talking to a Sox buddy of mine and he brought up something that interested me. He said back before the Sox got Albert Belle, JR had asked Frank Thomas who he would rather have join the Sox, Barry Bonds or Belle. Thomas said Belle. That is why Belle was signed. I was boycotting the Sox back then so those the "dark ages" for me. Can anyone confirm or debunk this?

If true it would have been(I 'm pretty sure) the second time the Sox passed on Bonds. I think they picked ahead of Pitt. in '85 or '86.

That's all true. We also could've drafted Barry Larkin and John Smoltz around that time, maybe the same year.

nodiggity59
05-11-2004, 07:40 PM
That was said at Belle's press conference. Who knows if it is true.

Voice of Reason
05-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by john2499

Yeah I remember for a fact that was said at Soxfest when Belle & Thomas were set to be the centerpiece of the 97 team.

Voice of Reason
05-11-2004, 08:18 PM
I found the 1985 draft online. The first six picks went as follows:

1. Brewers - BJ Surhoff, C
2. Giants - Will Clark, 1B
3. Rangers - Bobby Witt, SP
4. Reds - Barry Larkin, SS
5. White Sox - Kurt Brown, C
6. Pirates - Barry Bonds, OF

The Sox took a high school catcher ahead of Barry Bonds. I don't think that would happen in baseball today. High school catchers in the draft are about as risky as high school pitchers.

illinibk
05-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Hindsight is always 20-20. I find it very difficult to get upset about who the Sox should have drafted 19 years ago.

High school catchers in the draft are about as risky as high school pitchers.

Tell that to Minnesota. Joe Mauer wasn't risky at all, it just happens that he went out with a freak injury that could happen to any major league catcher.

cubhater
05-11-2004, 09:56 PM
I don't recall Bonds' name mentioned, but I believe JR asked Frank who would put the Sox over the top from that year's free agents and Frank said Belle. So much for Frank's future as a GM! :D:

Wasn't that the same offseason when the Sox had a chance to sign Clemens but Schueler balked at his demand for a four-year deal and called him 'damaged goods? Instead we signed Navarro as the ace of our staff! :angry:

MRKARNO
05-11-2004, 10:26 PM
We might have taken Bonds and at the same time the team that drafted before the Bulls might've taken Michael Jordan instead of Sam Bowie. Hindsight really is 20-20 and there's not too much use discussing this.

illinibk
05-11-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by cubhater
I don't recall Bonds' name mentioned, but I believe JR asked Frank who would put the Sox over the top from that year's free agents and Frank said Belle. So much for Frank's future as a GM!

Even now, its hard to look back and say that was a bad choice by Frank. Knowing what we do now about each player does change things a bit. But, IIRC, Belle was just coming off a 50 HR 50 doubles season. Kind of hard to want that right behind you in the lineup.

john2499
05-11-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
We might have taken Bonds and at the same time the team that drafted before the Bulls might've taken Michael Jordan instead of Sam Bowie. Hindsight really is 20-20 and there's not too much use discussing this.

Good point on Jordan.

If there is not much use in discussing this topic (on a discussion board no less) then there really is no use discussing anything. I'm pretty sure most of this discussing is irrelevant as far as the White Sox Organization is concerned.

Lip Man 1
05-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Reindorf said that when Thomas said Belle he was surprised. Reinsdorf said he would have chosen Bonds. At that time San Francisco was trying to unload his contract (this was before they were able to get Pac Bell Built)

Lip

Voice of Reason
05-12-2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by illinibk
Hindsight is always 20-20. I find it very difficult to get upset about who the Sox should have drafted 19 years ago.

Tell that to Minnesota. Joe Mauer wasn't risky at all, it just happens that he went out with a freak injury that could happen to any major league catcher.

Joe Mauer wasn't even the best player in the draft. In fact, he was the third best player in the draft. You could at least wait until he has more than one major league game under his belt to claim he wasn't a risk.

TDog
05-12-2004, 04:42 AM
Whether Bonds or Clemmons would have agreed to play for the Sox apparently is a moot point.

Deadguy
05-12-2004, 11:21 AM
There's no guarantee that the Sox could have acquired Barroids via a trade, while all we had to do with Belle was offer him the richest contract in baseball history at that point.

Why was Reinsdorf going to Thomas for advice anyways? Thomas made a glaring error in judgement, but shouldn't have been asked by upper management in the first place.