PDA

View Full Version : Reaction from Baltimore

petekat
05-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Made it out to the rubber match of the Os-Sox series at Camden. Thrilling conclusion- nice to see the strong Sox turnout - on suicide watch during Koch's outing. Sox clearly appreciative of the support- OZ pointed up to us in the stands. Nice to see Juan Uribe and Timo Perez stay around after to talk to fans, sign autographs.

Tonight will be a matchup of that rubber game- Buehrle v. Ponson. On the O's postgame radio- lot of dissatisfaction with Sidney- who seems to have the tools, but doesn't have the mindset or disposition to be the staff ace. He's let leads slip away, and hasnt had consecutive solid outingsLot of regret that the O's brought him back at nine mill per, when many scouts regard him as more of a #3 starter. Think the Sox dodged a bullet in not signing him.

For what it's worth- Camden is suffering the same attendance problems that the Sox have- shows attednance is less to do about the "atmosphere", once the novelty of the new park smell wears off- the fans tend to take a "what have you done for me lately" attitude (similar problems in Cleveland, MIlwaukee). When I lived in DC/Baltimore, Camden had a 2-3 yr streak of sellouts, according to the ticket staff- they will only come close twice this season- Yanks and Giants

batmanZoSo
05-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by petekat
Made it out to the rubber match of the Os-Sox series at Camden. Thrilling conclusion- nice to see the strong Sox turnout - on suicide watch during Koch's outing. Sox clearly appreciative of the support- OZ pointed up to us in the stands. Nice to see Juan Uribe and Timo Perez stay around after to talk to fans, sign autographs.

Tonight will be a matchup of that rubber game- Buehrle v. Ponson. On the O's postgame radio- lot of dissatisfaction with Sidney- who seems to have the tools, but doesn't have the mindset or disposition to be the staff ace. He's let leads slip away, and hasnt had consecutive solid outingsLot of regret that the O's brought him back at nine mill per, when many scouts regard him as more of a #3 starter. Think the Sox dodged a bullet in not signing him.

For what it's worth- Camden is suffering the same attendance problems that the Sox have- shows attednance is less to do about the "atmosphere", once the novelty of the new park smell wears off- the fans tend to take a "what have you done for me lately" attitude (similar problems in Cleveland, MIlwaukee). When I lived in DC/Baltimore, Camden had a 2-3 yr streak of sellouts, according to the ticket staff- they will only come close twice this season- Yanks and Giants

Ponson had one good year really. Other than that he's a number 3 or 4. I'm glad we didn't get him.

iwannago
05-11-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by petekat

Baltimore Announcers also said that they were impressed with the Sox number of 1 run victories. After watching Koch they changed their minds.

petekat
05-11-2004, 06:12 PM
generally the Baltimore announcers were pretty positive about the future direction of the Sox- Ozzie had a cup of coffee in Baltimore so they recognize his enthusiasm.

Right now the O's are kind of stuck in neutral, fans realize this, resident baseball scribes like Peter Schmuck (great name) and Ken Rosenthal realize this- there's no realistic expectation that the patchwork team, a few games back in the AL east- has any chance of going anywhere. Recall for years- the O's couldnt get any free agents to come into town. Things could be worse Sox fans- stuck with over the hill veterans like BJ Surhoff and Raffy in the lineup

AndyFrain
05-12-2004, 09:38 PM
I wonder what the "reaction from Baltimore"was last night? A 15-0 shellacking doesnt happen too often in this universe. Fluke, or the beginning of a real thing (again)?