PDA

View Full Version : Backup catchers

maurice
05-11-2004, 02:53 PM
No mention of Alomar, but the article (http://slate.msn.com/id/2100199/) includes the following discussion re. the ugliest player in Sox history:

Many lifelong backups do better yoking themselves to a fellow catcher. After nursing Bob Montgomery along for eight years, Hall of Famer Carlton Fisk took his backup-catcher charity program to Chicago. In the early 1990s, Ron Karkovice had a comfy gig as Fisk's backup, playing whenever the White Sox needed someone to throw the ball to second base on the fly. But when Fisk went to seed, Karko was pushed into the starting lineup. Between 1992 and 1996, he hit .237, .228, .213, .215, and .220. This unfortunate exposure to playing time meant Karkovice was done at 34, an age when backups are just approaching their earning potential.

Frater Perdurabo
05-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Too funny. :smile:

OfficerKarkovice
05-11-2004, 03:35 PM
I don't think there is a White Sox fan around...or at least there shouldn't be...who didn't enjoy seeing Karko behind the plate. I may be a little biased...but too bad...he was the best.

We miss you Officer!!!

LongLiveFisk
05-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
I don't think there is a White Sox fan around...or at least there shouldn't be...who didn't enjoy seeing Karko behind the plate. I may be a little biased...but too bad...he was the best.

Well, **I** definately AM biased, and I don't miss him one bit...that face...yeeesh!! :D:

bigdommer
05-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk
Well, **I** definately AM biased, and I don't miss him one bit...that face...yeeesh!! :D:

Karko had 3 claims to fame, and you can't take them away from him.

1) He was one of the most underrated defensive catchers of all time. He had an absolute cannon.

2) He might have been the best sacrifice bunter of his era.

3)Most definitely the ugliest players of all time.

And you know what, I still love Officer Karkovice.

Randar68
05-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by bigdommer

1) He was one of the most underrated defensive catchers of all time. He had an absolute cannon.

Agree 110%.

Johnny Mostil
05-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Regarding Karko's canyon, I wondered if this description of his role was a dig at Fisk, or if I was reading too much into it:

"In the early 1990s, Ron Karkovice had a comfy gig as Fisk's backup, playing whenever the White Sox needed someone to throw the ball to second base on the fly."

TheBull19
05-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

We miss you Officer!!!

One of the 5 best defensive catchers of the last 20 years if you ask me. I was going to say best 3 but I thought I'd leave myself a little wiggle room.

Randar68
05-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Mostil
Regarding Karko's canyon, I wondered if this description of his role was a dig at Fisk, or if I was reading too much into it:

"In the early 1990s, Ron Karkovice had a comfy gig as Fisk's backup, playing whenever the White Sox needed someone to throw the ball to second base on the fly."

Probably was a dig. Fisk had some trouble coming out of his stance the last few years as the legs were worn out, but I don't recall his arm being that bad during the final few years... Anyone have a clearer memory than mine?

idseer
05-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by bigdommer

most definitely NOT the ugliest! you want ugly you HAVE to start with this guy.

http://www.hofl.com/objects/images/players/19193.jpg

another ... http://www.vintagecardtraders.org/virtual/58topps/58topps-035.jpg

all the others are runner ups.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-11-2004, 10:21 PM
I remember Kark dancing to the YMCA tune with the grounds crew. good times...