PDA

View Full Version : Wright gets shelled again

maurice
05-11-2004, 03:49 PM
He gave up 8 ER (plus 2 un-earned) in just over 3 innings of work for the Knights in a game involving multiple bench-clearing brawls. His AAA ERA is 28.69.

SoxxoS
05-11-2004, 03:52 PM
He's hurt.

He's also bad, but he isn't this bad. If he isn't hurt, then God help him.

batmanZoSo
05-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
He's hurt.

He's also bad, but he isn't this bad. If he isn't hurt, then God help him.

All hopes of him ever being a top starter in this rotation are null and void. It's only a matter of time before they find something with him. Hopefully he's not hurt that bad and he can come back next year and be a good reliever.

SoxxoS
05-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
All hopes of him ever being a top starter in this rotation are null and void. It's only a matter of time before they find something with him. Hopefully he's not hurt that bad and he can come back next year and be a good reliever.

I said Tommy John a week and a half ago, and I am sticking with it. Maybe last years injuries were worse than advertised.

Also, in 2000, Danny was throwing 97 in AA, from the scouting reports. Not consistantly, but he hit it on occasion.

We are only 4 years removed here, and he is topping out at 91-92. That is a big difference. Especially b/c it's not like he is Roy Oswalt or Billy Wagner, and his frame couldn't take the abuse...the guy is built like a fullback.

TheBull19
05-11-2004, 04:38 PM
I do believe he is that bad and I hope he keeps getting shelled so we never have to see him again.

MRKARNO
05-11-2004, 04:38 PM
I said Tommy John a week and a half ago, and I am sticking with it. Maybe last years injuries were worse than advertised.

Also, in 2000, Danny was throwing 97 in AA, from the scouting reports. Not consistantly, but he hit it on occasion.

We are only 4 years removed here, and he is topping out at 91-92. That is a big difference. Especially b/c it's not like he is Roy Oswalt or Billy Wagner, and his frame couldn't take the abuse...the guy is built like a fullback.

Danny Wright was never all that great even at his "best" when he won 14 games with an ERA above 5, but certainly he was never this bad. Either he's had an entire breakdown of focus and concentration combined with a mechanical flaw or he has a severe problem as you said. It could be either at this point because he's not "Wright." He still used to be able to hit 95-96 last year but he had control problems. Now he just can't do anything. Maybe a visit to Dr. Andrews in Birmingham is on the horizon?

TheBull19
05-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Either he's had an entire breakdown of focus and concentration combined with a mechanical flaw or ...

That's what I think. To me, he has not shown that he has the mentality to be a big league pitcher. Even when he's getting shelled it looks like he has good stuff a lot of times, he just doesn't have it. Get him out of here. Next. There's gotta be someone in the farm who can do a better job of keeping his cool with comparable or better stuff. Let's give him a chance, and if that doesn't work keep giving someone else a chance, because you really can't do much worse than Wright and I'm sick of seeing him. If just for the entertainment value of seeing someone other than him pitch it'd be worth it to me.

Randar68
05-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Danny Wright was never all that great even at his "best" when he won 14 games with an ERA above 5, but certainly he was never this bad. Either he's had an entire breakdown of focus and concentration combined with a mechanical flaw or he has a severe problem as you said. It could be either at this point because he's not "Wright." He still used to be able to hit 95-96 last year but he had control problems. Now he just can't do anything. Maybe a visit to Dr. Andrews in Birmingham is on the horizon?

Elbow issues forcing Tommy John Surgery are most often very painful injuries, and again, often results of catastrophic tears or rips. Shoulder issues are much more subtle, and I do have a bad feeling that it is likely to end up being a shoulder issue. The velocity drop is a key indicator here.

batmanZoSo
05-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by TheBull19
That's what I think. To me, he has not shown that he has the mentality to be a big league pitcher. Even when he's getting shelled it looks like he has good stuff a lot of times, he just doesn't have it. Get him out of here. Next. There's gotta be someone in the farm who can do a better job of keeping his cool with comparable or better stuff. Let's give him a chance, and if that doesn't work keep giving someone else a chance, because you really can't do much worse than Wright and I'm sick of seeing him. If just for the entertainment value of seeing someone other than him pitch it'd be worth it to me.

Another weak-minded Sox prospect.

SoxxoS
05-11-2004, 04:56 PM

I didn't see him hit 95-96 last year, although I may be mistaken.

On a related note, and I am suprised that Daver hasn't chimed in here, but I think the radar gun is overrated. HOWEVER, when dealing with blatent loss of velocity like Wunsch, Wright, Baldwin, Koch, Loiaza (recently) and Parque, its an obvious problem.

habibharu
05-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by maurice
He gave up 8 ER (plus 2 un-earned) in just over 3 innings of work for the Knights in a game involving multiple bench-clearing brawls. His AAA ERA is 28.69. hey at least his season ERA went down. it used to be over 40!

thepaulbowski
05-11-2004, 05:00 PM
On a related note, and I am suprised that Daver hasn't chimed in here, but I think the radar gun is overrated. HOWEVER, when dealing with blatent loss of velocity like Wunsch, Wright, Baldwin, Koch, Loiaza (recently) and Parque, its an obvious problem.

A loss in velocity is a major blow to power pitchers (Koch.) You can lose velocity and still be effective if you have other pitches that aren't predicated on the fastball setting the table.

poorme
05-11-2004, 05:02 PM
Not many pitchers lose velocity and survive. It's different if they never had the velocity in the first place.

iwannago
05-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by maurice
He gave up 8 ER (plus 2 un-earned) in just over 3 innings of work for the Knights in a game involving multiple bench-clearing brawls. His AAA ERA is 28.69.

He must be hurt. I think I could pitch in AAA with an ERA of 28.69.

Mohoney
05-12-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by TheBull19
I do believe he is that bad and I hope he keeps getting shelled so we never have to see him again.

You can put it on the board!

Rex Hudler
05-12-2004, 01:07 AM
Also, in 2000, Danny was throwing 97 in AA, from the scouting reports. Not consistantly, but he hit it on occasion. We are only 4 years removed here, and he is topping out at 91-92. That is a big difference.

Wright lost the velocity because he abandoned his 4-seam fastball for a two-seamer to help him with control. A variance of 3-5 mph between a 4-seamer and a 2-seamer is normal.

ode to veeck
05-12-2004, 01:21 AM
A loss in velocity is a major blow to power pitchers (Koch.) You can lose velocity and still be effective if you have other pitches that aren't predicated on the fastball setting the table

Anyone figure out why Koch is actually effective yet?!?!

(besides coming in with 5-2 leads, and getting the last out with the bags loaded after 2 runs score)

batmanZoSo
05-12-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Wright lost the velocity because he abandoned his 4-seam fastball for a two-seamer to help him with control. A variance of 3-5 mph between a 4-seamer and a 2-seamer is normal.

Two seamer is the one with movement though isn't it?

SoxxoS
05-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler

Didn't know that...good info.

My next question...if you are blessed with an arm and frame to throw 96...why don't you just stay with it.

Obviously the 2 seam thing isn't going as planned.

Also...doesn't Billy Wagner throw his two seamer 100? Does that mean he could throw a 4 seamer 103 or something like that?