PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5.11.04

Hangar18
05-11-2004, 08:48 AM
Ever since the Felony Murder was committed across the street from Wrigley Field last thursday and the resulting Left Wing Media Backlash began.....................................
There is a FURIOUS battle Currently being waged by Right Wing Cub-Loving Media types. In the last 24 hours, Pro-Cub types have Retaliated saying things are being Blown out of proportion, is reactionary, and un-warranted. Media types like Brian Hanley who insisted Wrigley is safe and drunken brawls do NOT occur, was Rebutted TODAY by SunTimes article regarding Neighbors and BUsiness Owners in the area Complaining saying theyve LONG complained .......Regarding cubby fan behavior, Brawls, fighting, urination, etc etc, and want more Police Protection. Murph Of course defending the cubs, tries to turn the problem around by Saying today "if they were worried about crowd control and shootings and drunkenness, WHY did they approve More Night Games???" I dont even want to get into that right now.

The Mayor tried to sooth both egos by saying the shooting was a Gun Problem, and not a cub problem. He also said the MEDIA wouldve had a field day if it happened at Comiskey, and theyre trying to play it down now. (he knows a media bias when he sees it) HE of course said that because he knows someones going to get sued regarding the shooting, most likely the cubs for possibly overserving cub fans and not having adequate police presence in the area. (nice to critically think and see whos protecting whos interest) Murph continues to ignore the Media slight angle, and wonders if more cops will help, still NEVER acknowledging that cub fans arent really fans, but partiers
gone wild. Whats amazing to me, as a bystander, is seeing the media fighting and defending that other team this fiercely.
Who says there isnt a bias here?

Cubune:
4 cub stories
2 sox stories

Cub-Times:
4 cub stories
2 sox stories

Standings since Spring Training .........
CUBS 592
SOX 396

fledgedrallycap
05-11-2004, 08:55 AM
I have to say I have been a little disappointed with MJ&H on AM 1000 the last week or so. They really took the easy route on Friday by not talking about the issue at hand and finally took calls yesterday, but dismissed anyone who had a claim that things are in fact very different and much more endangering at Wrigley than previous seasons.

I expect that kind of analysis from Harry, but Mac has really been a disappointment even when breaking down the White Sox.

Dick Allen
05-11-2004, 09:00 AM
Today's Sun-Times was a Cub orgy, including TWO pictures, one taking up the back page, of that pathetic weeping girl after the Marlins spanked the Flubs.

Hangar18
05-11-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Dick Allen
Today's Sun-Times was a Cub orgy, including TWO pictures, one taking up the back page, of that pathetic weeping girl after the Marlins spanked the Flubs.

YOu know.......I skipped over that mistakenly. I have to Retally the score here ...........Lost in all of this, is the cubs Quietly about to have a 200 STORY LEAD on the SOX. Unbelievable.

STANDINGS SINCE SPRING TRAINING

CUBS 593
SOX 396

Palehose13
05-11-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I have to say I have been a little disappointed with MJ&H on AM 1000 the last week or so. They really took the easy route on Friday by not talking about the issue at hand and finally took calls yesterday, but dismissed anyone who had a claim that things are in fact very different and much more endangering at Wrigley than previous seasons.

I expect that kind of analysis from Harry, but Mac has really been a disappointment even when breaking down the White Sox.

I agree. I couldn't believe their response on Friday: "It's not a sports story." Oh yeah? I don't think we would be hearing that if the shooting occured on 35th & Shields.

Hangar18
05-11-2004, 09:17 AM
For some of the older generation Sox fans here .......I have a very good question. Has anyone seen this type of behavior from the MEDIA before? All my years of watching the Media, Ive Never Seen ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE in my life ........ some Segments of the Media completely committing a conflict-of-interest regarding their views of a news situation. Half the media calling out the media bias, and the Other half Vehemently Rationalizing the bias, ignoring the crime, outright LYING about the facts and Covering up other facts. This is unreal. Hopefully everyone can see why I started this dang idea in the first place and why I HATE THE MEDIA :angry:

bobj4400
05-11-2004, 09:22 AM
I normally dont read Moronotti's columns, but after seeing this morning's headline, I couldnt pass it up. What a bunch of Cub fluff/drivel. Where is his "Frank really wants to win, but sometimes opens his mouth and speaks before he thinks, so we need to give him a pass this time." column. This guy is such a hack that I cant even believe he is the main sports writer in this town. It is embarrassing.

tebman
05-11-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
For some of the older generation Sox fans here .......I have a very good question. Has anyone seen this type of behavior from the MEDIA before? All my years of watching the Media, Ive Never Seen ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE in my life ........ some Segments of the Media completely committing a conflict-of-interest regarding their views of a news situation. Half the media calling out the media bias, and the Other half Vehemently Rationalizing the bias, ignoring the crime, outright LYING about the facts and Covering up other facts. This is unreal. Hopefully everyone can see why I started this dang idea in the first place and why I HATE THE MEDIA :angry:

I suppose I qualify as an older-gen (ahem) Sox fan, so I'll drop
my two cents' worth on this. You're right, Hangar -- there hasn't
been anything like this before. It would be very easy for me to
slip into a political rant about media concentration, but I'll try to
avoid that. But this whole Cubophilia disease that's spread
through the midwest is traceable directly to the Tribune's purchase
of the team in 1981.

Before '81, the Wrigley family owned the team and the real estate,
and though they were colorless and somtimes clumsy, they were
in the business of running a baseball
team. The irony is that the Trib bought the team

kittle42
05-11-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
I normally dont read Moronotti's columns, but after seeing this morning's headline, I couldnt pass it up. What a bunch of Cub fluff/drivel. Where is his "Frank really wants to win, but sometimes opens his mouth and speaks before he thinks, so we need to give him a pass this time." column. This guy is such a hack that I cant even believe he is the main sports writer in this town. It is embarrassing.

You know, I am done bashing Mariotti, despite his continued suckitude. He has stated his position on his columns...he is not a Sox fan. He is not a Cub fan. He writes about the Cubs because more people want to read about them. He hates Reinsdorf and likes to blame the Sox' failures on JR. While this makes him look slanted against the Sox, I don't it's so much the team at all as it is the owner. That said, he doesn't care for Thomas' attitude much, either.

Whatever is about all I can say...I just wish he'd quit flip-flopping on almost everything he writes. That's always been my big issue with him.

kittle42
05-11-2004, 09:38 AM

When both teams end up playing golf in October again, this will once again all be forgotten by the media.

rahulsekhar
05-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
You know, I am done bashing Mariotti, despite his continued suckitude. He has stated his position on his columns...he is not a Sox fan. He is not a Cub fan. He writes about the Cubs because more people want to read about them. He hates Reinsdorf and likes to blame the Sox' failures on JR. While this makes him look slanted against the Sox, I don't it's so much the team at all as it is the owner. That said, he doesn't care for Thomas' attitude much, either.

Whatever is about all I can say...I just wish he'd quit flip-flopping on almost everything he writes. That's always been my big issue with him.

That may be his stated position, but it's far from the truth based on his actions & words. His continued lapdog treatment of Corky $o$a, the continued usage of the "history-making season" that the Flubs are working on, and the general tone of his Cubs v. Sox columns show him for what he is: an unabashed Flubbie fan.

tebman
05-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Arrghh...

I hit the submit button too soon in my previous post.

Anyway, what I started to say was that the irony of the Trib's
buying the Cubs was that Eddie Einhorn was talking with the
Cubs about joining the Sox in a pay-TV service. This scared the
hell out of the WGN bosses, so they convinced their corporate
parents to buy the team to keep several hundred hours to
programming on channel 9.

Since then, synergy has become the corporate gospel, and
the Trib has been milking it for all it's worth. So the newspaper,
the radio station, the TV station, the team, and all the ripples
that are sent out from them changed the Cubs from a baseball
team into an advertising-age phenomenon.

I miss baseball.

- tebman

kittle42
05-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
That may be his stated position, but it's far from the truth based on his actions & words. His continued lapdog treatment of Corky $o$a, the continued usage of the "history-making season" that the Flubs are working on, and the general tone of his Cubs v. Sox columns show him for what he is: an unabashed Flubbie fan.

I do not know the man, but I am willing to bet my yearly salary that he is not a Cub fan.

He's a writer writing for his majority audience. He has to "root" for the popular teams - Cubs, Bears, whomever - no matter what his actual allegiences are.

Anyone know where 'ol Jay is from originally? I know he worked in Detroit, I believe, before coming here, but I am not sure where he was raised.

bobj4400
05-11-2004, 10:03 AM
I am not saying he is a Cub fan, I just think he is an unabashed Sox hater. Today he writes about how Alou doesn't deserve the ribbing he has received since pee-gate was revealed. Last year, he ripped into Corky for about a week, before telling everyone they needed to move on and forget about the incident. When it is something with Frank or anybody/thing related to the White Sox, the negative columns never end and he never drops anything.

Nixey 02
05-11-2004, 10:06 AM
I do not know the man, but I am willing to bet my yearly salary that he is not a Cub fan.

He's a writer writing for his majority audience. He has to "root" for the popular teams - Cubs, Bears, whomever - no matter what his actual allegiences are.

Anyone know where 'ol Jay is from originally? I know he worked in Detroit, I believe, before coming here, but I am not sure where he was raised.

pretty sure that he was raised by jackals, not sure where, though. :o:

beckett21
05-11-2004, 10:11 AM

Jay's from Pittsburgh.

And he's STILL a jerk. :D:

Hangar18
05-11-2004, 10:40 AM
My position on Moronotti is the same as Kittle42s.
I hate the Flip-Flopping on issues. I want him to KEEP THE HEAT
on Reinsdorfs Follies, Bashing him Daily for not putting good sox product out there ..........he instead writes CubFluff. Thats my problem . Some of the BEST journalistic pieces ive ever read........have been by Moronotti. AND guess which ones they are? when he tells the TRUTH regarding JR and the Strike of 94

he becomes an idiot when he writes CubFluff and he doesnt realize it.

Lip Man 1
05-11-2004, 10:45 AM
I suggest all of you read Paul Ladewski's column in the Daily Southtown today.

Lip

Hangar18
05-11-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

LINK ?

kittle42
05-11-2004, 11:09 AM

Lip

Pretty good column. The thing is, too, in talking about the shooting with Cub fans, all they can do is laugh and bring up Ligue and Dybas and their sometimes racist comments about the area surrouning the park.

Yup.

Hangar18
05-11-2004, 11:18 AM
Thats why the SUNTIMES was IRRESPONSIBLE for printing a "Kileyism", printing that victim was a SOX fan in the storys first paragraph, for no apparent reason (Kileyism-{ky-lee-izm} a blatant planting of "facts" without proving anything, for purpose of Implying to reader that unproven "fact" is actually true) so that CubFans can now Regurgitate that a SOX fan caused the problem to begin with.

Murph deserves a special Smack in the head for PLAYING THE AUDIO SOUNDBYTE of a woman caller wondering why SOX fans were at the game to begin with.

This is also a Legal maneuver, in which the Defense throws out "facts" in order to prove reasonable doubt.

rcescato
05-11-2004, 11:38 AM

Yes its ashame how us sox fans get so ridiculed. I really don't want to see a riot break out ay wrigley this year or any year.'
But as the season progresses and the flubbies are 10 games out
and they have 50,000 rowdy drunks inside and outside wrigley field i can see some kind of riot happening. I still don't see how those fans are also given a pass when they throw all thier $6 beers on the field without due course from the media. At the Kings game last night their fans started throwing beer cups on the court. The stupid flub fans have infected people on the west coast. What a shame.
Rich

rcescato
05-11-2004, 11:41 AM

Lip

Yes mark it was a very good article and the rest of the media
was called out on this one. Its still not going to do any good.
The flubs are given a pass for everything.
Rich

fusillirob1983
05-11-2004, 11:50 AM
I read the article and it was pretty good. A little off-topic, but part of it reminded me of the Batman t.v. show with Adam West.

GoSox2K3
05-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Here's the link:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/Acurrent/ladewski.htm

mcfish
05-11-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap

I was more than disappointed by the crap MJ&H spewed on Friday. They said that they cover sports, not murders. They said that if it had happed on the field then it would have been a sports story. Well, what about if it had happed in lot E? It's a longer walk to there than the victim had to walk on Thursday afternoon from Wrigley. And we know damn well that would have been a sports story. What about when a reporter was beaten up blocks away from The Cell years ago? I just heard about that on the radio yesterday, but I can't remember which channel. Is that sports related? I have lost a lot of respect for the Chicago sports radio stations in the last week.

Jerko
05-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by mcfish
I was more than disappointed by the crap MJ&H spewed on Friday. They said that they cover sports, not murders. They said that if it had happed on the field then it would have been a sports story. Well, what about if it had happed in lot E? It's a longer walk to there than the victim had to walk on Thursday afternoon from Wrigley. And we know damn well that would have been a sports story. What about when a reporter was beaten up blocks away from The Cell years ago? I just heard about that on the radio yesterday, but I can't remember which channel. Is that sports related? I have lost a lot of respect for the Chicago sports radio stations in the last week.

Ligue got arrested and his case is up in MARKHAM and they showed the Cell incident. How is that sports/Sox related?

Frater Perdurabo
05-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Ever since the Felony Murder was committed across the street from Wrigley Field last thursday and the resulting Left Wing Media Backlash began.....................................
There is a FURIOUS battle Currently being waged by Right Wing Cub-Loving Media types. In the last 24 hours, Pro-Cub types have Retaliated saying things are being Blown out of proportion, is reactionary, and un-warranted.

Hangar -

I enjoy and appreciate your NewsMedia watch updates. Keep them coming. Since you are using "left-wing" and "right-wing" terms, shouldn't this thread be moved to Politically Incorrect? LOL I love that you correctly label the pro-Cubs media "right-wing" as they favor the preservation of the status quo.

Seriously, this whole media brouhaha is a real trip. I only wish I was back home in Chicago to witness it personally.

:)

Preach on, Hangar. This would not be the major story that it is today without your tireless efforts.

TornLabrum
05-11-2004, 11:47 PM

Back in the old days there were a number of columnists like Bill Gleason, Bill Griffin, and John Carmichael who were Sox fans. So the short answer was NO, there was no pro-Cubs media bias.