PDA

View Full Version : On ESPN 1000, they're saying it's gonna be Grilli

ChiSox14305635
05-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Mac, Jurko, & Harry said to wait for an official announcement tomorrow. At least, that's what I think I heard?

CHISOXFAN13
05-10-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Mac, Jurko, & Harry said to wait for an official announcement tomorrow. At least, that's what I think I heard?

I'm going to be sick if that's the case :angry:

What does Diaz have to do?

Randar68
05-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
I'm going to be sick if that's the case :angry:

What does Diaz have to do?

Diaz? What does RAUCH have to do?

Voice of Reason
05-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Perhaps the Sox upper management thinks Grilli will better fit in with the current Sox staff given his knack for walking batters and allowing home runs (16 BB & 6 HR in 33 IP). As always, chemistry is number one.

DaveIsHere
05-10-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Voice of Reason
Perhaps the Sox upper management thinks Grilli will better fit in with the current Sox staff given his knack for walking batters and allowing home runs (16 BB & 6 HR in 33 IP). As always, chemistry is number one.

That is the most intelligient thing I have heard all day, do you work for the Sox?

Why does this team constanly call up everyone and their mother except the good ones, are trying to make it difficult on ourselves.

STUPID...............for the love of God I should just follow badmitton!!!

ChiSox7
05-10-2004, 03:29 PM
The Sox couldn't be that stupid......

Or could they?

HebrewHammer
05-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Comments on this in NBA Draftspeak-

He can't be any worse than DW, but Diaz does have a TREMENDOUS upside, with a big wing span, ability to dunk with both hands and an extremely high ceiling. I'd really look for him to be off the board at number 7, Charles?

Dadawg_77
05-10-2004, 03:33 PM
Diaz could be trade bait. Don't want him to get rock and destroy his value. This team is going to need to acquire additional talent to compete for it all.

Voice of Reason
05-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Diaz could be trade bait. Don't want him to get rock and destroy his value. This team is going to need to acquire additional talent to compete for it all.

That's possible but still a bad strategy. Lets say you manage to find yourself with a gushing artery, do you use a band aid instead of a tourniquet because you might need the tourniquet to stop up another artery later?

Grilli has literally been Charlotte's worst starter. If the Sox are giving him first shot at the fifth starter's job they might be passing up four more qualified players.

Chisoxfn
05-10-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Look at Rauch's numbers and then look at Diaz's. Their is no comparions this season and Diaz has a lot more electric stuff.

Then again Randy, you know I'm not much of a Rauch fan. Rauch was also slated to be moved to the bullpen, but Pacheco's injury and the callup of Grilli or Diaz (I still believe it will be Diaz) are probably going to put Rauch back into the rotation.

Rauch has struggled to go more then 5 all season, unless the Sox are just holding him back for some reason.

Personally I think it will be Diaz. They had him go in relief and are holding him out of his next start or at least are planning on doing so, which tells me he's on his way to Chicago.

SoxxoS
05-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

If that is their reasoning, that might be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Maybe, possibly, the solution to the 5th starter probelm is right in their own backyard....??? What happens if the Marlins wouldn't have called up Dontrelle, b/c they were using him as trade bait...

Tell you one thing...WHEN THE SOX FALL IN LOVE WITH A PLAYER...THAT PLAYER IS GOLDEN.

Clayton
Valentin
Grilli

etc.

mikef1331
05-10-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Voice of Reason
Grilli has literally been Charlotte's worst starter. If the Sox are giving him first shot at the fifth starter's job they might be passing up four more qualified players.

Isn't Danny Wright now Charlotte's worst starter? :smile:

RedPinStripes
05-10-2004, 03:51 PM

Last I heard, Rauch needed to learn how to pitch. :D:

Foulke You
05-10-2004, 04:01 PM
I'd rather see Diaz or Rauch get the call but how could Grilli possibly be any worse than Dan Wright?

SoxxoS
05-10-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I'd rather see Diaz or Rauch get the call but how could Grilli possibly be any worse than Dan Wright?

He may not be worse...but he could be the "junior" version.

He walked 8 friggen guys in 5 innings last outing. Don't worry...he doesn't have to worry about those walks b/c he strikes out so many guys. Oh no wait, he didn't strike out on hitter. I get it now!

Randar68
05-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Last I heard, Rauch needed to learn how to pitch. :D:

Fly ball pitcher in a bandbox. 5 HR's, but his WHIP has been very good.

TheRockinMT
05-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by DaveIsHere
That is the most intelligient thing I have heard all day, do you work for the Sox?

Why does this team constanly call up everyone and their mother except the good ones, are trying to make it difficult on ourselves.

STUPID...............for the love of God I should just follow badmitton!!!

There you go. It's just like last year and the call up of Jose Paniagua. But, I hope if it is Grilli the results are better. I would like to see Rausch or Diaz though.

soxwon
05-10-2004, 05:22 PM
sox look at grilli as marginal- this is just to showcase him, the better he pitches, the more apt the sox will package him with wunsch somewhere.

chisoxt
05-10-2004, 05:28 PM
The asinine logic in this is that rather than bringing up a pitcher who is having a great season and has a high upside, you keep him in the minors so that he can continue his success. If you bring him up here and he fails, and you send him down again, he may not recapture the magic that he had before.

So what the Sox brass will do is to bring up someone who they feel has less upside so that if he fails, they won't ruin a good prospect. But with this logic, he will have less of a chance to succeed as well.

It all boils down to this.... everyone knew that the Sox fifth starter was weak, it was not addressed during the off-season, and most likely, it will not be effectively addressed now.

scottyl
05-10-2004, 05:28 PM
Did they announce this before or after the promo they run informing me to get all my Cubs news from 1000?

A. Cavatica
05-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
So what the Sox brass will do is to bring up someone who they feel has less upside so that if he fails, they won't ruin a good prospect.

Welcome back Danny!

gosox41
05-11-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
The Sox couldn't be that stupid......

Or could they?

Well, you know who the GM is....

Bob

johnny_mostil
05-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Fly ball pitcher in a bandbox. 5 HR's, but his WHIP has been very good.

Everybody's WHIP is good in the IL. Bandbox or not, runs are and have always been hard to come by in the whole league.

The White Sox make decisions based on 100% scouting and 0% performance. How else do you explain keeping a hitter at a level where he's "only" hitting .310 when you have a crying need for exactly his kind of player in the majors? "Our scouts feel he's not ready". Why do you bring up a poor option to be your #5 starter? "Our scouts feel his pitches will be more effective and his makeup is stronger at this point in his career."

There's nothing wrong with "Scoutgefuhl". but when the scouts tell you down is up and the sky is green, a real GM says, "pony pucks", and holds the scouts accountable.

SSN721
05-11-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by HebrewHammer
Comments on this in NBA Draftspeak-

He can't be any worse than DW, but Diaz does have a TREMENDOUS upside, with a big wing span, ability to dunk with both hands and an extremely high ceiling. I'd really look for him to be off the board at number 7, Charles?

lol. :D: I would say more like tremendous upside POTENTIAL for this kid.

DrCrawdad
05-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Mac, Jurko, & Harry said to wait for an official announcement (That Grilli is being called up.) tomorrow. At least, that's what I think I heard?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1565000/images/_1568913_kerrigan_300.jpg
"WHY?"