PDA

View Full Version : Historical Photos (check out the mascot)

chidonez
05-10-2004, 02:46 PM
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ndlpcoop/ichihtml/cdnSubjects63.html

DrummerGeorgefan
05-10-2004, 02:58 PM
I actually came across that same website yesterday. I was looking to find vintage pictures of former players and baseball scenes. I wish some of those were for sale.

Speaking of which, does anyone know where to get reproduction pictures like that (8x10s or so) to frame up.

SSN721
05-10-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks a lot, lots of nice pics of Comiskey under construction under the Chicago buildings page, 1910-1919. Very vascinating pictures of a lot of historical places in there.

Realist
05-11-2004, 01:09 AM
I can't believe nobody mentioned Grover Lodermilk on the thread about great baseball names.

woodenleg
05-11-2004, 07:43 AM
That looks like a pit bull as mascot. As a pit owner, I love it!!

Pits were very popular back then - they weren't scorned as they are now. I can see why they would have such a dog as a mascot.

JDP
05-11-2004, 08:16 AM
Quick question:

Which Rowland -- Clarence or Roy -- was "Pants" Rowland?

Johnny Mostil
05-11-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by JDP
Quick question:

Which Rowland -- Clarence or Roy -- was "Pants" Rowland?

Clarence.

I'd forgotten that the Chicago Federal League team was the Whales (whose photos are also on the referenced page). I wonder how they got that name.

KingXerxes
05-11-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by DrummerGeorgefan
I actually came across that same website yesterday. I was looking to find vintage pictures of former players and baseball scenes. I wish some of those were for sale.

Speaking of which, does anyone know where to get reproduction pictures like that (8x10s or so) to frame up.

If you go to the Library of Congress website, they have instructions for ordering reproductions (if available). Amazingly enough, a lot of those old photos are available for purchase - although not cheap.

john2499
05-11-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by DrummerGeorgefan

I don't think those images are copyrighted, at least I didn't see any proof they were. So copy them into your hard drive and try using a little Photoshop magic to reproduce nice 8x10 photos for framing. I have, and I have 67 photos hanging throughout my apartment. Cheap dollar store frames work fine.

john2499
05-11-2004, 08:00 PM
I have "liberated" some 900 or so Sox photos from ebay, fansites, and other places on the web. I will post them if I am allowed to by WSI.