PDA

View Full Version : Felix Diaz

Dub25
05-10-2004, 02:22 PM
I'm on a quick lunch break so I don't have time to post a link. But the Southtown in the white sox notebook are saying Felix Diaz will be called up to pitch on Saturday. I didn't see a thread on this so I figured I'd put something up.

Tekijawa
05-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Can he hit?

SEALgep
05-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Can he hit? Is that important to you? We are in the American League you know.

ChiSox14305635
05-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Here ya go:

Link (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/101sd5.htm)

As for the No. 5?

The Sox are expected to go back to a five-man rotation this week, and all indications are that right-hander Felix Diaz will be called up from Triple-A Charlotte to fill the role of fifth starter.

Diaz, who is 5-0 with a 1.86 ERA with the Knights this season, is scheduled to start tonight at Louisville and then perhaps start for the Sox against Minnesota at U.S. Cellular Field on Saturday.

"It should be decided (today or Tuesday)," Guillen said of the No. 5 starter. "I have to talk to (general manager) Kenny Williams about how we're going to do this."

If the Sox do call up a pitcher, they likely will demote a position player to make room on the roster. If catcher Sandy Alomar's sore right hip continues to improve, third-string catcher Jamie Burke likely would be the odd man out.

SoxxoS
05-10-2004, 02:45 PM
I just want to know what the hell Ozzie needs to talk with KW about. Diaz has done nothing wrong. He has been dominating. Grilli, OTOH, walked 8 guys in 5 innings 2 days ago. This is not brain surgery.

SEALgep
05-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I just want to know what the hell Ozzie needs to talk with KW about. Diaz has done nothing wrong. He has been dominating. Grilli, OTOH, walked 8 guys in 5 innings 2 days ago. This is not brain surgery. Munoz is tearing it up as well, and sometimes people's options and such come into play. Diaz will no doubtedly be called up, but it's KW's call. That's what Ozzie meant. They'll discuss it, but Ozzie doesn't get to make the ultimate decision, so it would be premature for him to comment who the guy is without discussing it with KW.

npdempse
05-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Is that important to you? We are in the American League you know.

(stage whisper)I think he was making a joke(/stage whisper).

Dub25
05-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Does anyone know what kind of pitcher Diaz is? Somebody in another thread mentioned Josh Stewart. I think Stewart did alright last year but we need a flame thrower with nasty stuff. Somebody that is imtimatating(spelled right?) As much as it pains me to say it someone nasty like those Cub power pitchers. I know sometimes that can be overrated but who on the staff scares the opposing team.

batmanZoSo
05-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Dub25
Does anyone know what kind of pitcher Diaz is? Somebody in another thread mentioned Josh Stewart. I think Stewart did alright last year but we need a flame thrower with nasty stuff. Somebody that is imtimatating(spelled right?) As much as it pains me to say it someone nasty like those Cub power pitchers. I know sometimes that can be overrated but who on the staff scares the opposing team.

From what I gather, he's a Pedro/Juan Cruz kind of pitcher. Of course I'm just talking about stuff, not success. I hear he has one of those electric arms and can throw the heat. Like the other two his problem is durability.

OSU8418
05-10-2004, 09:41 PM
I think that Diaz has proven himself in the minors, and should be brought up to replace Wright.

voodoochile
05-10-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by OSU8418
I think that Diaz has proven himself in the minors, and should be brought up to replace Wright.

Bout damn time we got some more Buckeyes on this board!

Welcome Aboard! :D:

hose
05-10-2004, 10:22 PM
I thought OSU were the Beavers?

Randar68
05-10-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Dub25

Diaz features a fastball, change, and a hard slider. His fastball usually is in the 92-94 mph range. I have heard he's touched mid-90's but doesn't really work in that range as a starter.

Last year was basically the first year he's stayed healthy for a full season as a pro.

Hangar18
05-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by hose
I thought OSU were the Beavers?

NO ..........OSU is the Cowboys, Venturas alma mater heh heh

jeremyb1
05-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Diaz features a fastball, change, and a hard slider. His fastball usually is in the 92-94 mph range. I have heard he's touched mid-90's but doesn't really work in that range as a starter.

Last year was basically the first year he's stayed healthy for a full season as a pro.

At a minimum Diaz should have Adkins roster spot.

Randar68
05-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
At a minimum Diaz should have Adkins roster spot.

If they're grooming him as a starter, isn't it better to have him going every 5 days and getting that experience and maintaining his endurance rather than pitching sporadically in a long-relief role?

MRKARNO
05-11-2004, 03:59 PM
If they're grooming him as a starter, isn't it better to have him going every 5 days and getting that experience and maintaining his endurance rather than pitching sporadically in a long-relief role?

jeremyb1 is only arguing that it should be Adkins and not Burke sent down when Diaz is brought up. He is not saying that Diaz should be a long reliever. (At least that's what I think he meant).

Randar68
05-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
jeremyb1 is only arguing that it should be Adkins and not Burke sent down when Diaz is brought up. He is not saying that Diaz should be a long reliever. (At least that's what I think he meant).

Why do we need 3 catchers again? No need to worry folks, Burke will be back when Sandy makes his annual visit to the DL...

jeremyb1
05-11-2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by MRKARNO

Well yeah it makes sense to groom him as a starter as long as you're not going to give Grilli cracks at joining the big league rotation ahead of him. He's more valuable if he starts, I'd rather see him in that role but I think he'd be real successful in our pen which I'm not as sold on as some.

Randar68
05-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Well yeah it makes sense to groom him as a starter as long as you're not going to give Grilli cracks at joining the big league rotation ahead of him. He's more valuable if he starts, I'd rather see him in that role but I think he'd be real successful in our pen which I'm not as sold on as some.

Fankly, our bullpen scares the bejesus out of me, but Wunsch is not the answer as some are suggesting.