PDA

View Full Version : More Ads?

Dadawg_77
05-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Fact One: Baseball is a business.
Fact Two: Most Business try to make a profit or at least break even.
Fact Three: The best way to afford more payroll is to increase revenue.
Fact Four: Advertising is a great way for a Baseball team to raise Revenue.

Assumption One: JR isn't lying when he says the Sox are breaking even on a P/L statement.

Assumption Two: All new revenue from advertising would result in a higher payroll and/or cheaper ticket prices.

So now, two options.

One less advertising which would lead to less revenue, thus a lower payroll or higher ticket prices.

Two greater advertising, higher revenue, higher payroll and maybe lower ticket prices.

If it were up to me, I really wouldn't care is the players looked like NASCAR drivers as long as those revenue streams were used to acquire and develop better players and lower ticket prices. I don't care if there are ads on the bases, or a players back.

ewokpelts
05-10-2004, 11:41 AM
I'm for more promtotions with sponsors, like the pepsi half off ticket promo.
Gene

mdep524
05-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Well, I think there is a limit to everything. If the players looked like Nascar drivers, or if JR put ads on the bases or sold the team name so we became the US Cellular Sox or something, that would be considerably over the line, despite the revenue opportunities it would present.

I do think some advertising is OK though- I'm OK with the ballpark being renamed to finance all the renovations, and I am OK with the billboards in the OF as well. That has got to be a pretty big source of money- and I don't think its really the eyesore that some people make it out to be.

joecrede
05-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Spider-Man ads on the bases, or ads in general, are the very least of baseball's integrity problems.

Besides, let Wrigley Field fans, keep the dillusional thought that their park is somehow more pristine because of the lack of ads. Sox fans, the more pragmatic, welcome ballpark advertising with open arms. How's "Welcome to The Chevy Outfield concourse at U.S. Cellular Field" sound? :D:

CanOfCorn
05-10-2004, 11:50 AM
My Spider Senses tell me this idea sucks (http://www.sperts.net/editorial.php?page=79)

This is something I wrote on the subject.

scottyl
05-10-2004, 04:40 PM
There need to be limits--see the Spiderman mess. Things like uniform ads should NEVER be allowed. There is a reson I don't like NASCAR--can't seem to bring myself to cheer for the Tide with Bleaching Action car.

vegyrex
05-10-2004, 07:43 PM
What a relief that spiderman idea is dead.

It would have been nearly as dad as having an owner become commisioner.

SoxBoy14
05-10-2004, 08:16 PM
i say yes but before we do perhaps we should get some good ads. I dont like the ones we have now. Sorry Ozzie, but your boring :(:

scottyl
05-10-2004, 08:36 PM
I was under the impression that this thread was about more ads in the ballpark, on the playing field, etc.

I have no problem with running more TV ads promoting the team.

SoxFan76
05-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Spider-Man ads on the bases, or ads in general, are the very least of baseball's integrity problems.

Besides, let Wrigley Field fans, keep the dillusional thought that their park is somehow more pristine because of the lack of ads. Sox fans, the more pragmatic, welcome ballpark advertising with open arms. How's "Welcome to The Chevy Outfield concourse at U.S. Cellular Field" sound? :D:

Cub fans seem to forget they are the original sellout. Weeghman Park anyone? Sorry, gotta lay off the Cub references.

Advertising does not bother me. Advertise all you want Jerry. I could care less, as long as it doesn't become a severe distraction to the game, especially if the funds are used to better the team and just maybe win a World Series before I die.

Railsplitter
05-10-2004, 09:07 PM
In effect "U.S. Cellular Field" is the most expensive billboard in Chicago.