PDA

View Full Version : My Take on the Offence

Dadawg_77
05-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Catcher.
Olivo / Alomar / Burke
Olivo is hitting the ball well now. OBP of .363, slugging .550 for an ISO of .250. He should be getting more time then he already is. Alomar is down and is only hurting this team when in the lineup. Burke hasnít been given a chance to show what he can do this year. Since he canít really do any worse then Sandy, maybe it is time for Sandy to hand them up and Burke to become the backup.

First Base / DH
Konerko / Thomas / Gload
Thomas is still the teamís best hitter. He is producing an OPB of .453 and slugging of .511. He hasnít been really hot with the bat so his production could even increase. Konerko started off hot but has cooled down to a polar bears toe nail. His OBP vs righties is .308 and versus lefties is .407 That is a huge split and maybe it is time to realize Konerko would make a great platoon player not an everyday player. He power is way down slugging only .407 (.478 vs. lefties). Gload has only had 31 PA but hasnít looked good in those, opb .303 slg .276. The Sox may want to send him back down to get more time or start platooning him Konerko.

2B
Harris
Decent OPB of .350 but absolute no power, only 6 doubles in 28 hits. Little bit more power would be nice; especially since with his speed some of those singles would become doubles.

3B
Crede
Crede is all power and that is it. A 280 OBP is pathetically bad, but an ISO of .211 is nice. If we could combine Harris OPB with Crede power we would have a good player.

SS
Valtine / Uribe / Dransfeldt
Uribe has been lights out so far. Who would have thought Uribe would be out producing A Rod by May? This probably wonít keep up but have been nice to see. Jose has been disappointing but seemed to be turning it around before he got hurt. Dransfeldt one hit won a game and he hasnít done much since then.

LF
Lee
I think Lee will pick it up. He has the second most walks on the team and plate discipline usally equals success with Lee, circa 2000.

CF
Rowand / Perez
We need a CF who can play. Rowand OBP .288, Perez .244. This is the Sox biggest hole in the lineup. Hopefully Reed can succeed after a June callup.

RF
Mags
Is down so far but should be able to pick it up.

The best thing the Sox can do in my opinion is move Harris from second to center and play Uribe at 2B. Rowland and Perez are not cutting it offensively or defensively.
Have an lineup of
Harris
Valentin
Mags
Frank
Lee
Olivio/Uribe (If Sandy is catching)
Crede
Konerko/Gload
Uribe/Alomar

TheBull19
05-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

The best thing the Sox can do in my opinion is move Harris from second to center and play Uribe at 2B. Rowland and Perez are not cutting it offensively or defensively.
Have an lineup of
Harris
Valentin
Mags
Frank
Lee
Olivio/Uribe (If Sandy is catching)
Crede
Konerko/Gload
Uribe/Alomar

I like your ideas about platooning konerko and moving harris to center and uribe at 2d but what do you do in june when you call up reed? And do you really want a career .240 hitter who strikes out about once every 4 ABs and can't hit lefthanders batting second? I say call up reed now, keep harris and uribe in the middle infield and at the top of the lineup, maybe switching in reed at the 2 hole if he makes a good transition. Then platoon valentin w/ konerko, where frank plays 1st when valentin dh's and frank dh'ing when konerko plays 1st. That way you can reduce both valentin and konerko's playing time. I think they both bring down the lineup. You've got maggs frank and lee to do the major run producing, plus one of konerko/valentin, crede'll knock in a few - should be plenty if you've got uribe and harris and reed, we'll still have rowand if reed needs a little help w/ a tough rightie, and olivo a little, creating opportunities w/ the small ball.
Then you'll still have gload and valentin when he's not in the lineup for lefthanded pinch-hitting, and rowand and/or perez and either burke or alomar, making up a passable bench

maurice
05-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by TheBull19
Then platoon valentin w/ konerko, where frank plays 1st when valentin dh's and frank dh'ing when konerko plays 1st.

Me likey. It'd be a shame if they continue to allow the size of a player's contract to dictate his role.

pjthesox13
05-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by maurice
It'd be a shame if they continue to allow the size of a player's contract to dictate his role.

I think this has been the case for a while. Knowing that Valentin and Konerko have had good careers I just tend to think they are pass their time. Hopefully we start to see things more shook up soon. I don't think Ozzie is afraid to at all.

Dadawg_77
05-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by TheBull19
I like your ideas about platooning konerko and moving harris to center and uribe at 2d but what do you do in june when you call up reed? And do you really want a career .240 hitter who strikes out about once every 4 ABs and can't hit lefthanders batting second? I say call up reed now, keep harris and uribe in the middle infield and at the top of the lineup, maybe switching in reed at the 2 hole if he makes a good transition. Then platoon valentin w/ konerko, where frank plays 1st when valentin dh's and frank dh'ing when konerko plays 1st. That way you can reduce both valentin and konerko's playing time. I think they both bring down the lineup. You've got maggs frank and lee to do the major run producing, plus one of konerko/valentin, crede'll knock in a few - should be plenty if you've got uribe and harris and reed, we'll still have rowand if reed needs a little help w/ a tough rightie, and olivo a little, creating opportunities w/ the small ball.
Then you'll still have gload and valentin when he's not in the lineup for lefthanded pinch-hitting, and rowand and/or perez and either burke or alomar, making up a passable bench

Jose vs Lefties doesn't worry me too much since our lineup kills lefties. The Sox could use Rowand in Center and move Uribe to SS and Harris to 2b.

yadosoxfan
05-12-2004, 02:30 AM
I agree with most of those ideas...heres my lineup i'd send out there

CF Harris
LF Lee
RF Maggs
DH Frank
1B Konerko (even with him struggling)
SS Jose
2B Uribe
3B Crede
C Olivo

i like miguels speed in the 9th spot, and so far this year hes been getting some big hits there, but in the future i see him batting up higher. with crede and uribe, they are interchangable, just as long as juan is playing. carlos needs to move back up to the 2 spot, maybe it can get him better pitches to hit and he can get on for the big bats