PDA

View Full Version : What should we do?

Petch
05-10-2004, 08:54 AM
You're Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen. You recognize that the season has had some ups, but it has also had a lot of downs. You want to shake things up a little bit. What do you do?

fledgedrallycap
05-10-2004, 09:08 AM
Listen, this team has a lot of up's and recent downs. They are in first place and have probably exceeded the expectations of most fans. They got swept while on the road, it happens. While you look at the Jays in the standings you obvioulsy would think we should of killed them, but this team won a lot of ball games last year.

What are you going to do, blow the team up in May? The problem lies in the people who you have money and trust invested in; Maggs, Lee, Konerko, Crede; just aren't getting the job done. Add Rowand to that list as an underachiever and that's 5/9 of a potent line-up gone limp.

With all that said, it is clear we need to address CF and while our starting staff has been good, we are probably lacking an Ace.

Let's hope some good home cooking wakes those bats up!

bigdommer
05-10-2004, 09:21 AM
1st: I call up a fifth starter, the Trib reported that KW and Ozz are looking at Grilli and Diaz. This would end all the speculation.

2nd: I call up Jeremy Reed and allow him to get some at bats and platoon a little in left and center. This would allow further evaluation before anything drastic is done with a Lee trade or a Maggs signing. Also, if Reed works out, it saves a deadline trade by KW.

3rd: Figure out the whole Kelly Wunsch situation. Call him up or trade him. IIRC, they have until the end of the week to figure something out. If they are going to leave him in Charlotte, they might as well trade him for anything before he gets picked up.

Also, for those of you who want the Sox to make a deal but are worried about the depth of the farm system: the Sox have 6 picks in the first 2 rounds of this year's draft. Two originals, and two each from losing Gordon and Colon. This allows KW to draft for depth at certain positions before trading prospects whom the organization as given up on.

jabrch
05-10-2004, 09:34 AM
1) I'd put Harris in CF 5+ games a week and bench Rowand

2) I'd make it clear to Jeremy Reed that he is not going to be called up until after the all-star break.

3) I'd go out and do everything I can (within reason) to acquire a veteran 5th starter who can help us right now.

mdep524
05-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
What are you going to do, blow the team up in May?

Yes!! Seriously, why is there a stigma associated with breaking up or "blowing" up our core? It doesn't mean you are giving up or even that you are a bad team just because you make a few big moves. If I'm Kenny Williams, I am defintely looking to trade one or two of Lee, Konerko or Valentin. We've seen this core for over 4 years now, its not like they haven't had a chance.

batmanZoSo
05-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
1) I'd put Harris in CF 5+ games a week and bench Rowand

2) I'd make it clear to Jeremy Reed that he is not going to be called up until after the all-star break.

3) I'd go out and do everything I can (within reason) to acquire a veteran 5th starter who can help us right now.

4) Get someone who can close games.

Dadawg_77
05-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Harris, Uribe and Valetin have out produce Rowland and Perez. I don't think this is a fluke and those three are better hitters, so it hurts the team to play Rowland and Pezez. Thus you move Harris to center, since he has played there before and Uribe to second.

jlh0023
05-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Although some individual offenders are slumping, our offense is not the problem. The ones who are slumping (maggs, lee, crede) are at least the ones that i'm confident will be doing better soon. If our young mediocre guys were playing bad, thats something to be worrying about. Our problem is our pitching. There are a lot of good things about it, but a lot of problems too. Our fifth spot of course, but we need to be able to depend on the first four spots to. Buerhle and Loaiza, who should be our dependable guys, can't go out every third or fourth day and throw crap. Our bullpen also has a lot of overlooked upsides. Adkins, Jackson, Cotts, Shingo and Politte have all exceeded my expectations. Unfortunatley our two big underachievers are the two 'keys' to our pen. I don't know whats up with Marte, but I am certain Koch shouldn't be playing in close games(he should only come in if we have at least a 6 run lead as far as i'm concerned). The name of the game is trade to improve our pitching, while leaving our offense as intact as possible!

WSox8404
05-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by mdep524
Yes!! Seriously, why is there a stigma associated with breaking up or "blowing" up our core? It doesn't mean you are giving up or even that you are a bad team just because you make a few big moves. If I'm Kenny Williams, I am defintely looking to trade one or two of Lee, Konerko or Valentin. We've seen this core for over 4 years now, its not like they haven't had a chance.

I would get rid of Valentin and Konerko. They blew last year and here we are again. Lee was great last year and I expect him to come out of his slump sooner or later. He just has to stop swinging at crap pitches low and away. Get rid of these two and we clear up a lot of salary space and then we can do some things that we need to.

Paulwny
05-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by WSox8404
I would get rid of Valentin and Konerko.

Easier said then done, who'd want them with their contracts?

Iwritecode
05-10-2004, 11:39 AM
If I were KW, I would be in the clubhouse flipping over tables and calling the players bitches and MFers...

Iwritecode
05-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Harris, Uribe and Valetin have out produce Rowland and Perez. I don't think this is a fluke and those three are better hitters, so it hurts the team to play Rowland and Pezez. Thus you move Harris to center, since he has played there before and Uribe to second.

Sorry Dadawg, I had to give you some hell over this one. That's almost as bad as Jose Valentine...

:)

Dadawg_77
05-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Sorry Dadawg, I had to give you some hell over this one. That's almost as bad as Jose Valentine...

:)

damn,..... He doesn't play well enough to have his name spelled right.

Hell its early

beckett21
05-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
4) Get someone who can close games.

That would be nice.

chisoxt
05-10-2004, 12:20 PM

Having been on the 'Fire KW' bandwagon, I actually think he has done a good job in certain areas this year. Having said that, this fifth starter thing has always troubled me, because it has always been from when Bartolo left until now, that our fifth starter spot was very weak, even given the solid effort by Schoenweiss. Instead of picking up somebody, anybody in the off-season we have to now, overpay in a trade w/ prospects to get some marginal pitcher to get us into the playoffs. I know we do not have the financial recources to go after free agents, but how expensive is it to also trade your better farm system guys at mid season? Trust me, this will come back to haunt us in a big way if this same approach is used again this year.

Randar68
05-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Petch
You're Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen. You recognize that the season has had some ups, but it has also had a lot of downs. You want to shake things up a little bit. What do you do?

Move Lee to #2 in the order to see if that ignites him, if it doesn't, I move Maggs back to #4 and Frank to #3. Maggs isn't taking enough walks. Jose would be traded if I could, and my IF would be Uribe and Harris.

I don't know how much longer I'd wait to call up Reed, but it would have a lot to do with the staff at Charlotte's reports on him, IMO. You can't depend of Rowand Timo much longer.

My Lineup:

Harris
Lee
Maggs/Frank
Maggs/Frank
Uribe
Konerko
Reed
Crede
Olivo/Alomar

If Reed hits, or Lee still is stinking it up at #2, I'd move Reed up to #2 and Lee back to #5. Also, if Harris starts stinking, I'd probably move Reed or Uribe to lead-off.

fledgedrallycap
05-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Move Lee to #2 in the order to see if that ignites him

Although our 1-2 combination has been pretty good recently with Harris and Uribe, I think this needs to happen. Lee did a nice job there last year and a change in scenery may help him get on track.