PDA

View Full Version : Shoeless Movies

JohnBasedowYoda
05-09-2004, 11:02 PM
I was lookin for sox stuff online and stumbled across this. Some short clips of Joe and his teamates. Check out his batting practice! Really cool to see. White Sox Legend (http://www.blackbetsy.com/joepics7.htm)

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 11:10 PM
I dub you GOD. Thank you.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-09-2004, 11:22 PM
don't mention it

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
don't mention it

Hey, that's just blasphemy. I get the reference though. :smile: How's a holy bartender sound? :gulp:

How did Joe hit so well with that awful stance? He started closed with his feet touching then strode almost three feet toward the pitcher on swing.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-09-2004, 11:35 PM
that deserves some looking into, that doesn't look like a normal swing at all...why does he spin around? Crazy.

Maybe though the only (?) video of him playing happens to be a shot of his biggest wiff

DrummerGeorgefan
05-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

How did Joe hit so well with that awful stance? He started closed with his feet touching then strode almost three feet toward the pitcher on swing.

The swing almost looks like any 16inch league swing, the kind where you gotta step into it with a half running start.

Great find buddy!

CanOfCorn
05-10-2004, 01:39 AM
I knew he slashed, and used a split-handed grip, but this is ridiculous.

And cool! Thanks for the link.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-10-2004, 01:42 AM
I really love the videos of the old pitchers too, along with joe's swing everything seemed more elaborate and less efficient. How would they fare against the players of today? Has sports science created better swings, stances, and movement for the pitchers?

CanOfCorn
05-10-2004, 01:49 AM
If pitchers used those windups now while playing year-round ball and learning splitters in second grade, Tommy John Surgery would be a routine part of their puberty.

Hitters on the other hand seem to be more efficient than those videos suggest. What unnecessary movement they had in their legs was made up for by choking up on the bat and shortening swings.

I think it sucks that baseball's become so regulated -- I think every kid has to have a pitching coach by the age of 15 in order to become a major leaguer. That's why the globalization is great -- we get to look at the Nomos and El Duques and see how they get it done.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-10-2004, 01:58 AM
I don't think ball is without the variety you think it is. Ever see craig counsell's batting stance? Carl everret? Sure everyone tries to get the standard quick, powerful swing. But plenty of players keep to their own way

CanOfCorn
05-10-2004, 02:02 AM
True. I was thinking more of pitching when I said that, but I didn't make that clear.

A lot of hitters have signature batting stances, but with pitching windups, unless you're talking about Dontrelle Willis, you see one, you've seen them all.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-10-2004, 02:17 AM
i'll agree with you there. unless the guy is a sidarm, or submarine type they're all either the same or very similar. that's why i love seeing wunsch or shingo toss em

The Critic
05-10-2004, 02:36 AM
Great stuff.
I couldn't help but think, John Cusack looks NOTHING like Buck Weaver. They should have gotten that kid from Scream to play Buck. Cusack did a great job in that movie, though, so it worked out I guess.

JDP
05-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Great find, thanks!

CanOfCorn
05-10-2004, 11:09 AM
I'm hoping somebody else noticed that Shoeless Joe had a kabumpty-bump booty.

Junk in the Trunk Joe Jackson isn't nearly as catchy.