PDA

View Full Version : Dennis DeYoung Sox Song?

DannyCaterFan
05-09-2004, 10:08 PM
One of the things that has always bothered me, was that there are not that many songs associated with the White Sox. We're all familiar with the songs listed on this web site and of course Na na hey hey, good bye. If memory serves me correctly there was a song they played at old Comiskey Park in the early eighties by Dennis DeYoung that I thought was pretty good. Anybody remember it?? Would sure like to hear it again.

greenpeach
05-09-2004, 10:22 PM
The song was called "Run Sox, Run". The first time I heard it was at the old Comiskey on the Fourth of July in 1986. If memory serves me correct, the Sox were playing the Yankees.

Honestly, I thought it was a pretty cheesy song. But then again, what did you expect from the frontman of Styx ? :smile:

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by greenpeach
The song was called "Run Sox, Run". The first time I heard it was at the old Comiskey on the Fourth of July in 1986. If memory serves me correct, the Sox were playing the Yankees.

Honestly, I thought it was a pretty cheesy song. But then again, what did you expect from the frontman of Styx ? :smile:

He's probably got too much time on his hands. :smile:

SoxBoy14
05-09-2004, 10:28 PM
There's a song I heard on the radio that goes "Lets rock with the Sox, lets rock!!!" I thought it was the dumbest thing I ever heard and it was making us look like flubb fans.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Maybe Styx can re-do some of their classics for the Sox.

Already I think "Come Swing Away" would work. or "Crede" to the tune of "Lady". :smile:

and finally......"Domo arigato Mr. Takatsu"

:D: OK, that's enough from me.

JRIG
05-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
There's a song I heard on the radio that goes "Lets rock with the Sox, lets rock!!!" I thought it was the dumbest thing I ever heard and it was making us look like flubb fans.

That's "Rock With the Sox" by the American Breed, a Chicago band. I think it's at least better than "You're My Cubs."

LuvSox
05-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Who gives a ****? It's Dennis DeYoung.

soxnut
05-10-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14

I don't think the song is too bad. But I think it would be cool if someone could come up with a good song for the Sox, one that would be good enough for radio airplay---oh wait a minute then again, I think most new music as well as music radio sucks nowadays anyway. But lets say when music was more fun, that type of song.

I think that the Sox should come out with a White Sox music cd. It would have some of the old favorites a Nancy song, "Take Me Out to the Balllgame"--with versions from Harry, Hawk, and the swing version, a Jack McDowell song and a song that would be used in commercials. If that's Cub fan like, too bad---I'm mean my God, let's not ever seem like a Sox fan should have any fun.

Hangar18
05-10-2004, 08:57 AM
the Sox MUST DO A BETTER JOB of acknowledging their "famous" fans. Had Dennis DeYoung been a Cub fan, they wouldve had his songs blasted all over the park.........Interviewed him in the booth, Murph wouldve had him on weekly, and he wouldve sang the 7th inn stretch about 5 times by now. Speaks Volumes on how badly the SOX have failed .............

thepaulbowski
05-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
the Sox MUST DO A BETTER JOB of acknowledging their "famous" fans. Had Dennis DeYoung been a Cub fan, they wouldve had his songs blasted all over the park.........Interviewed him in the booth, Murph wouldve had him on weekly, and he wouldve sang the 7th inn stretch about 5 times by now. Speaks Volumes on how badly the SOX have failed .............

Styx did the 7th inning stretch last week on Wednesday, I believe.

Johnny Mostil
05-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
He's probably got too much time on his hands. :smile:

This pun is so bad it's good . . .

ewokpelts
05-10-2004, 10:08 AM

Henry,
Would YOU want mr. De Young all over espn radio 1000?
Not me,
Gene

soxnut
05-10-2004, 10:36 AM

Good point. Write to Mr. Boyer..........

greenpeach
05-10-2004, 11:35 AM

Back in the 1980's, the Sox did have a highlight video that accompanied the song. It was shown on the diamond vision at the old Comiskey in between innings.

The song was so bad that it became an inside joke with me & my friends. We would be playing poker or just drinking a beer & someone would blurt out "Run Sox, Run" & instantly we would all start to crack up. Back in the day, my Cub loving friends always used to needle me about it. Unfortunately, i can't say that I blame them. That song, like Styx, was pretty pathetic.

soxnut
05-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by greenpeach
Back in the 1980's, the Sox did have a highlight video that accompanied the song. It was shown on the diamond vision at the old Comiskey in between innings.

The song was so bad that it became an inside joke with me & my friends. We would be playing poker or just drinking a beer & someone would blurt out "Run Sox, Run" & instantly we would all start to crack up. Back in the day, my Cub loving friends always used to needle me about it. Unfortunately, i can't say that I blame them. That song, like Styx, was pretty pathetic.

Even so, I think that the Sox should come up with a really good song that will be generally liked, that could be used as an identity. Everyone loves a catchy tune. Go easy--go ATA.

woodenleg
05-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Even so, I think that the Sox should come up with a really good song that will be generally liked, that could be used as an identity. Everyone loves a catchy tune. Go easy--go ATA.

Oh god, that jingle blows IMO. Plus I keep thinking of the plane that came close to the Cell when I hear it now.

I don't want ANY Sox song, especially not one from Stynx.