PDA

View Full Version : To the fairweather fans who overreact...

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 10:08 PM
The 2003 Florida Marlins...yes, the World Series Champions...lost 6 in a row...TWICE...in the first half last year. 3 to Houston, Frisco...then 3 to L.A. and Montreal .

I can't believe it. How does something like that happen? I thought you couldn't make the playoffs if you got swept.

1951Campbell
05-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
The 2003 Florida Marlins...yes, the World Series Champions...lost 6 in a row...TWICE...in the first half last year. 3 to Houston, Frisco...then 3 to L.A. and Montreal .

I can't believe it. How does something like that happen? I thought you couldn't make the playoffs if you got swept.

Optimism in May is fine, but all this "stick a fork in them, they're done" stuff is a little much. 2003 Marlins? Hell, what about the 1978 Yankees? Things could be far worse as far as early season poor performance goes.

dpbyron
05-09-2004, 10:31 PM
THANK YOU! I AGREE 100%

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 10:39 PM

Yes, but weren't the Marlins stacked? I'm not a doom and gloom guy but we will need to address some things in order to go anywhere. This team as it is..probably not good enough. No closer, no fifth starter yet (we'll see on Diaz), and zero production coming out of center field both offensively and defensively.

Dadawg_77
05-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Marlins replaced Toreberg with McKeon which was great move. Jeff is not that good of a manager. Jack stop the Marlins from running themselves out of games, and used the staff better. The Marlins hitting became hot at the right time and that pitching staff, best young staff in the majors, lead them to the promise land.

LuvSox
05-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Be advised, fairweather fans are not going to read this thread. They're too busy worrying about the Cubs...................

beckett21
05-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Yes, but weren't the Marlins stacked? I'm not a doom and gloom guy but we will need to address some things in order to go anywhere. This team as it is..probably not good enough. No closer, no fifth starter yet (we'll see on Diaz), and zero production coming out of center field both offensively and defensively.

As it turns out the Marlins were stacked.

In May that team was awful and headed straight into the ground. They flat out sucked. No one thought they were worth a damn. McKeon resurrected them. Ozzie helped.

That said, I agree we have some holes that need filling. But I will be the first to admit this team is a lot better than I gave them credit for this whole offseason. Things are really not all that bad, and to be honest as so many have already mentioned we haven't even come close to clicking on all cylinders yet. When we do, look out.

I still don't buy the whole thing about post-season luck. We have holes to fill. But I am confident those holes will be filled. No doubt about the impact Ozzie has already had on this team though. It makes a world of difference.

I have absolutely NO idea how I became a rah-rah guy....I used to be so negative.... :?:

It's a lot more fun being positive! :D:

RKMeibalane
05-09-2004, 11:05 PM

Well said. While I can understand why some people are frustrated by the events of the past week, I think it's way too early to give on the Sox. There is still a lot of baseball left, and no one knows how things are going to turn out.

Remember, the 2000 Sox didn't really hit their stride until that magical week in which they swept Cleveland and New York. After that, they had the division locked up, but prior to those games, there was still some question as to whether they were going to hang onto the lead in the AL Central.

This year's team hasn't hit its stride yet, and they're still in first place. Things look a lot better than they did at this time last season. If nothing else, the Sox stand a good chance of at least finishing with a better record than last season, which may be enough to win the division.

Jjav829
05-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

They weren't really stacked at all. Their offense last season was pretty mediocre and their pitching wasn't exactly dominant. They won because everything clicked for them in the postseason. But the Marlins team that everyone saw in the postseason was not the same team that played in the regular season. Josh Beckett took his game to another level. Carl Pavano came up with some big games and Brad Penny had some huge performances for them. Offensively they took their game to a complete different level.

I agree with Soxxos on this. This 3 game sweep wasn't good, but it hardly means the end of the season. How they respond to this will be the big thing, especially with a big series coming up next weekend.

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
They weren't really stacked at all. Their offense last season was pretty mediocre and their pitching wasn't exactly dominant. They won because everything clicked for them in the postseason. But the Marlins team that everyone saw in the postseason was not the same team that played in the regular season. Josh Beckett took his game to another level. Carl Pavano came up with some big games and Brad Penny had some huge performances for them. Offensively they took their game to a complete different level.

I agree with Soxxos on this. This 3 game sweep wasn't good, but it hardly means the end of the season. How they respond to this will be the big thing, especially with a big series coming up next weekend.

I don't contend that they were stacked, I said that because we debated that issue a little while back.

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 11:45 PM
The Sox are a team with a really good offense and a quality-start pitching staff. The pitching is going to be pretty consistant the entire year and the offense is in somewhat of a slump. The real problem is that we're not getting guys in. We're 7th in OBP, 5th in OPS, 3rd in home runs(ML Ranks) and only 16th in runs scored. I know a lot of people want to call this team a fluke, but that low runs scored rank is about as big of a fluke as it gets. This offense just hasn't put it together yet. We're hitting too well for it not to happen and it will, but you have to be patient. The Key really is for Carlos Lee to get going because the top of the order has been getting on base and Lee, Konerko, Crede and Rowand haven't been able to drive them in. Solution: Promote Reed so that Rowand doesnt have to disgrace our lineup any more and raise up olivo in the order for the games that he is catching.

This is a 90+ win team we have on our hands here because the quality of the offense is that good and the pitching is not going to lose a lot of games for us. The sox will live and die by their offense and right now we're not driving the runs in so we're in a slump. When the offense gets going this is a team that could put together 6-8 game win streaks like that.

Brian26
05-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Did anyone seriously think we could go the entire season without losing 3 in a row? It's a marathon. Don't panic.

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Did anyone seriously think we could go the entire season without losing 3 in a row? It's a marathon. Don't panic.

Look at the Yankees, they've started to hit their stride and they look awesome now. They lost 6 of 7 games against their division rival Red Sox and now they're only like a game behind them. If you can't handle a 3-5 game losing streak then you can't handle baseball.

CHISOXFAN13
05-09-2004, 11:52 PM
I'm not jumping off any ship, hell, I moved to Bridgeport to go to more games and be close to the ballpark.

That being said, I understand that every team endures a losing streak. I'm just pissed off at the way this team played. If they would have played halfway decent ball this weekend, it would be a different story.

But I can't recall watching a more painful three-game series in a long time. Toronto sucks, and we couldn't take one freeking game.

I'll be raring to go this week. I'll be there Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. I just hope the real White Sox show up, too.

Patrick134
05-09-2004, 11:59 PM
Another point i see is, many people here seem to like making themselves miserable so much, they don't stop to enjoy the great things the sox have done, like the comeback victories, etc. it's like they are so tense, and won't relax until the sox win the world series. Enjoying the ride there with it's ups and downs is half the enjoyment. Did the 2000 sox collapse and pop up everything in the playoffs ? sure, but that team , and season, was one of the most enjoyable to watch and root for, and it's not all for naught if they don't win it all.

the sox have given us, as fans, entertaining baseball, and a fighting spirit for many of the last 15 years or so. I want the sox to win it all too, but my status as a sox fan isnt hanging in the balance based on whether or not they win it all.

Voice of Reason
05-10-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The Sox are a team with a really good offense and a quality-start pitching staff. The pitching is going to be pretty consistant the entire year and the offense is in somewhat of a slump. The real problem is that we're not getting guys in. We're 7th in OBP, 5th in OPS, 3rd in home runs(ML Ranks) and only 16th in runs scored. I know a lot of people want to call this team a fluke, but that low runs scored rank is about as big of a fluke as it gets.

It's also possible that our low runs scored rank is a function of poor baserunning decisions and overuse of small ball tactics by our fearless leader.

White_Sock
05-10-2004, 02:46 AM
It's also possible that our low runs scored rank is a function of poor baserunning decisions and overuse of small ball tactics by our fearless leader.

But a team with so much speed has to be hyper-aggressive on the basepaths.

The success of "Ozzieball" has not been aggresive baserunning (you have to have speed for that), but rather it has been a teamwide attitude/moral adjustment, and smart use of our pitching staff. Ozzie's confidence in our starters has preserved our bullpen and has kept us in games that we would otherwise (in the Manuel era) not have been in. Once our offense clicks, the sky is the limit; and when it clicks, we are going to see some exciting baseball (not to say it has been uneventful up to this point). I say gear up for the longrun and put the Jays series behind us. If anything, this will motivate the Sox's offense. I just look forward to a more set (and better) lineup; I'm sure most ppl do.

soxtalker
05-10-2004, 09:47 AM
I don't take any of the "season over" messages very seriously. They aren't "fair-weather" fans for the most part; we really tend to have die-hard Sox fans on this board. People are just frustrated, and there aren't a lot of moves by management yet to change things. Mostly, that's because they want to give the current players a chance, but it is also hard to make trades at this point. But it does appear that there is a start. Danny Wright was demoted, and all indications are that Diaz will be up with the club before the week is out.